Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

50 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Not being ruthless? The sacking of Dean Smith sure seemed ruthless.

The sacking of Dean Smith was coming and deserved at the time. 

The club are not showing the same ruthless streak now with the current manager who is showing no levels of improvement in any department. 

Even his press conferences, a strong point full of energy when he first came, are getting worse. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

The sacking also felt stupid given who he was replaced with and the reasoning behind it.

Gerrard was supposed to be the man to take us to the next level but Instead we have regressed.

Edited by AshVilla

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

1) I don’t care and 2) we’d get a kicking but then tomorrow something else would take their attention for example look how quickly they have moved on from Tuchel being sacked.  Their attention for Villa is limited at the best of times, we’d at best be covered for one or two news cycles if we sack Gerrard.

1) I'm not sure the board will take into account whether you or I care or not.

2) They did move on from Tuchel being replaced at Chelsea, but he wasn't sacked straight after the Queen passed away. If we did bin off Gerrard over the last week it would not have looked great for the club, which I imagine everyone at the club would be well aware of.

Saying that, I'm sure all of my thoughts will be proven to be horseshit (as usual) when we lose tonight and announce Gerrard's sacking bang smack in the middle of the Queen's funeral on Monday.

28 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

1) I'm not sure the board will take into account whether you or I care or not.

2) They did move on from Tuchel being replaced at Chelsea, but he wasn't sacked straight after the Queen passed away. If we did bin off Gerrard over the last week it would not have looked great for the club, which I imagine everyone at the club would be well aware of.

Saying that, I'm sure all of my thoughts will be proven to be horseshit (as usual) when we lose tonight and announce Gerrard's sacking bang smack in the middle of the Queen's funeral on Monday.

Why would it not look great for the club?

Huddersfield sacked the manager and he didnt have one of them famous pre-seasons you need. Didnt the new King sack 100 of his previous staff members already so sacking a highly paid football manager who is not a royalist and never actually sang the national anthem as a player wouldnt be a big deal

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why would it not look great for the club?

Huddersfield sacked the manager and he didnt have one of them famous pre-seasons you need. Didnt the new King sack 100 of his previous staff members already so sacking a highly paid football manager who is not a royalist and never actually sang the national anthem as a player wouldnt be a big deal

Didn't Huddersfield sack their manager after losing on Tuesday of this week?

They didn't go, "right, we've got a game cancelled because the Queen died. Quick, let's sack the manager."

If Gerrard gets a poor result tonight I'm hoping that he gets binned off in the same way.

How, on Gods green, is sacking our manager remotely related to the death of the monarch? I struggle to see how anyone in the world would link the two enough to care, aside from a few twitter trolls. I’m sure the gents with hundreds of millions invested in the club won’t even link the two (or care). 

Unless we have someone waiting in the wings, I don’t particularly believe it’ll happen before Monday anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point but here we are. 

Anything short of a win tonight should see him done. The draw against City could prove a good base to move from, but I have little faith. Sometimes it’s easier to set up against teams at the top because you’re not expected to be playing expansive attacking football. Just sit deep and try to nick something on the break. Against Southampton at home, we will be expecting some nice attacking football which will, in my option, revert Stevie to type.

Edited by Sam3773

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

The sacking of Dean Smith was coming and deserved at the time.

Could make a case that it came too early, he never got a chance to play his preferred XI in his preferred formation for even a few weeks in a row. Gerrard's good start came with all the players fit for the first time playing Smith's tactics. The problems came when they changed it and no-one knew what the **** was going on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Yes it was.

I'm sure if there is a genuine need to sack SG they will continue to be ruthless too...

To qualify that statement....yes i don't think there is a genuine need to pull the trigger....

Yet!

1 hour ago, Didiersix said:

I think most would agree Gerrard is walking a tightrope. 

But if a win means he stays put and defeat pushes him out the door... what are we thinking if it is a draw?

Depends on performance I guess…good performance, robbed of a winner by VAR or heroic goalkeeping he’ll probably stay.

Drab football, struggling to break them down, devoid of ideas and lucky not to lose, he might go. 

3 hours ago, daft said:

Win or lose tonight, he'll be around for a while yet and the shouting and screaming will go on here for quite some time. 

I think he's at the point where only 3/4 wins on the spin and positive performances can regain some favour.

So bad had been the start.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Definitely. In fact there are parallels with Chelsea's decision to sack Tuchel after what he did there in a relatively short time, with the Dean Smith situation.

It might not work with Potter, but that was a smart, calculated risk, where ours was just reckless.

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he's at the point where only 3/4 wins on the spin and positive performances can regain some favour.

So bad had been the start.

Possibly and I agree, but we don't call the shots. Th board seems to see something.

Â