Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The thing that worry’s me most about Gerrard is that what he says doesn’t translate into what he does. 

This is the Gerrard thread so I don’t want to digress into talking about players/transfers/tactics etc but as examples of what I mean. 

He talks about wanting to be a possession based football team but then installs a captain who is most at fault for the fact we are not, at the expense of someone like Luiz, who for his faults is very good in possession. 

He talks about building from the back but seems to prefer Konsa over Chambers who is much more comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

He talks about a lack of creativity but plays Watkins and Ings up top, and has players like Bailey and Buendia on the bench. 

He talks about leaders in the team and then strips the only leader we have of the captaincy (and judging from the performances so far this season I genuinely do believe that decision has upset the squad)

He talks a brilliant game but seems to have no idea of how to deliver it. 

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I lost my patience with Smith at times, but I regret it. He was a key player in the greatest feel-good period at Villa in decades. If we can match that again I'll be happy.

Yeah to be clear, I’m not all “bring back Smith”. Just noting that a reasonably high profile former player/current pundit is prepared to have a dig at Gerrard’s tenure. Wasn’t sure we were “there” yet.

For the record, my view on Smith/Gerrard debate was posted in the new manager thread earlier this afternoon -

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

At the time I reluctantly felt it was time for Smith to go. And I still think on balance it was time for him to go.

But knowing what I know now, with the benefit of hindsight, if my two options were simply just (a) Keep Dean Smith or (b) Hire Steven Gerrard, I’d choose (a).

Fortunately there are more than just those two managers.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

55 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The moment Emi Martinez said he was shocked by how little Gerrard spoke during actual training sessions was when I knew this clown of a manager wouldn't last. It's farcical that we binned Dean Smith for him.

I think this is one of the problems he is having. How can you turn bad fortune around if you don't communicate on a personal level to individuals. 

About 100 posts have been moved because people are venting in this thread. Please help the mods by using the most relevant thread.

Next manager

Todays game thoughts specifically 

Your thoughts/ wishes/comments on tactics and selections etc

People started those threads for that purpose. Don’t use this thread for those or other subjects. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Steven Gerrard hasn't lost the dressing room. He never had it. He can't coach and he has the personality of a bumhole. What are his strengths exactly?

I wonder what he actually does on the training ground. 

Just standing there observing? Joins in on the training drills from time to time perhaps... 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully this applies in thread mods!

Can't wait for Neil's thoughts.

There’s a thread for villa podcasts, JV

If you’re gonna talk about what podcasters say, or might say or hope they say, please use that thread. If you’re gonna talk about SG himself, this one is fine

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

I wonder what he actually does on the training ground. 

Just standing there observing? Joins in on the training drills from time to time perhaps... 

Hits a couple free kicks and tells them about that night in Istanbul. 

What's Gerrard's record now compared to Deano's? We can safely assume that we will get nothing from the next two games. If the board were happy to sack Smith after having lost a few games in a row then they should act with the same ruthlessness because there is no way we will be top 8 this season with Gerrard in charge. 

Edited by Khizzy

Never seen a plan B, moans about creativity but leaves Bailey and Buendia on the bench, continues to play McGinn, is he the only one who don't see, McGinn brings nothing. We beat teams with pace, had a good game against Man City playing quick football, but seems to go against the fact it's the best way to play. I'm not sure what his is doing, definately not a coach.

Looks like a manager waiting for his pay off.

• Like 1

Not much to say in addition to what has been posted numerous times. If he isn’t sacked within the week (preferably tonight) then I have no idea what the board are doing. What a way to have all of the positivity drained from you in 10 months. Just **** off you boring fraud. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Someone is going to have to explain to what went through Gerrards mind today looking at Luiz and Kamara in midfield. He's been watching them dominating the midfield all game, probably the first time we've controlled the midfield in as long as I can remember. 

Completely. Looking at that horrendous average position chart someone posted, luiz and kamara we're the only two players to play in midfield. Hooking Luiz was absurd, Ramsey and mcginn together do not occupy the central areas. They haven't all season. Just leaves an enormous hole.

• Like 2

Â