Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah last couple of pre-match videos have had that feeling.

Gerrard looks a bit stressed, but that's what happens to Villa managers for the most part.

I'd like to see him succeed as I don't want another transitional season and to start again, I hope he can get some consistency from them. We have a good team.

A win tomorrow will undoubtedly improve the confidence levels and a chance to build from there.

I would like him to succeed, but even if we now win a couple, I just can't see the continuation. How easy the Rangers job was is starting to raise it's head now, although Gerrard couldn't even get them to the group stages of Champions league football.

I said here before, for a while now we have employed managers to learn on the job, with, not enough experience. We can no longer afford to do this, which is why we need a Rodgers, Potter or praise the lord a Poch in next, or at the least someone with a bit of stature in the game.

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Are you joking? People did criticise the performances stating how the issues from last year still seemed present. 

You seemed more bothered by the results and others said pre season was just for fitness. 

Blatant ignoring the facts but unsurprising from said poster. We were labelled hysterical for saying we were shit but we won is all that matters

Brisbane Roar we were dreadful and was rightfully called out but was ignored because we won

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate i'm not even the Manager and the thread stresses me out.

So imagine actually being in the hot seat when things aren't going well. lol

If only was a way to fix it like earning your 5 million a season instead of goimg home to watch The Office

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

True.

But then it would be less of a concern for me if I was earning £3m / year or whatever Gerrard is on.

£5m supposedly. The massive compensation in likely part of why the club will hesitate to act.

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s a bit of a spiky b*****d when he really doesn’t need to be at times…

I don’t put too much faith in his words, heard it all before.

More concerned by what we’re doing out there in games and it’s been so poor, more action less talk please.

I thought he talked open and honest , was concerned by the other elements comments behind the scenes to make things right . It takes time Most of us agree but that comment leads me to believe not everything is going in the right direction behind the scenes. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If Steven Gerrard says all the right things, the naysayers will pick up that as "just words"......if he says the wrong things, they too will have a negative response.

If he does turn it around and gets us on a the track, we all wnat to be on.....I do hope those non believers are man enough to come on here and say so.

I am not asking folk, to re-hash their thoughts on the games.....because we know they have been turgid.

I am referring to the manager, himself.

If it doesn't work out and he is sacked, I will be first in the queue to say, I got it wrong.....I hope I am not on my own.

Of course u will be on your own. None of us on VT have ever been wrong about anything 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Batted away some of those questions very well tbf but yes clearly highly agitated in his thought process and body language.

I think West Ham is going to be a hell of a tough game, they are no mugs and with the poor start they've had (I think they've been somewhat unlucky) the perception is this should be 3 pts.

Should he not get those 3 points he'll be sacked. They'll just wait until we've been pumped by Arsenal and City 

34 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah last couple of pre-match videos have had that feeling.

Gerrard looks a bit stressed, but that's what happens to Villa managers for the most part.

I'd like to see him succeed as I don't want another transitional season and to start again, I hope he can get some consistency from them. We have a good team.

A win tomorrow will undoubtedly improve the confidence levels and a chance to build from there.

There is absolutely no chance of Gerrard get this team to win tomorrow, there is more chance of me having a night of fun with Paige Spiranac. However, I am hopefully we may get the win on Sunday 😊

• Haha 1

I laughed when the reporter asked him what he meant when he used the word pendulum to describe Villa last week and he said "I've never used that word". Still seems a bit defensive, but more confident than last week at least.

Very fine margins, if he wins on Sunday, things are actually looking decent. Lose and suddenly he's teetering on the edge. A draw just about keeps it in the balance. Hope he can get us the win. We'll need those 3 points going into the next 2 games.

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Very fine margins, if he wins on Sunday, things are actually looking decent. Lose and suddenly he's teetering on the edge. A draw just about keeps it in the balance. Hope he can get us the win. We'll need those 3 points going into the next 2 games.

OK, but ... [cue the sounds of a chicken-wire barrier being set up in front of this post] to an extent, this "teetering on the edge" is also a social media construct.   

I know you're much more open-minded than many, @Keyblade, so I don't mean to zero in on your comment as unthinking or silly.  I also know the majority of the board doesn't agree with me, and that's cool. But I also do think we set up these "red lines" Gerrard supposedly better not cross, and there are valid reasons to resist such thinking.

There is no stone tablet from on high that says a loss to West Ham this weekend means something really catastrophic just happened. I still think Gerrard is fundamentally an extremely skilled young manager based on his playing career and his work at Rangers, and he needs to be given at least until December to bed in.

Gerrard could lose the next four games, and it absolutely wouldn't change my mind, even while, inside, emotionally, I would be going nuts. But I think we're at a moment in the club where we need to learn to rise above the emotions and see the larger picture. Many of the "genius" managers held out as enviable counter-examples to Gerrard had terrible win percentages last year, but they were given time -- and now they're hailed as superstars.

If SG does get the sack prematurely, and a new manager comes in and turns Villa into Bayern Munich, I'll be wearing a smile on my face. I also won't be dogging any new manager with "I told you so" knee-jerk negativity, but that still doesn't mean I think we're currently at the jumping-off point with Gerrard. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

OK, but ... [cue the sounds of a chicken-wire barrier being set up in front of this post] to an extent, this "teetering on the edge" is also a social media construct.   

I know you're much more open-minded than many, @Keyblade, so I don't mean to zero in on your comment as unthinking or silly.  I also know the majority of the board doesn't agree with me, and that's cool. But I also do think we set up these "red lines" Gerrard supposedly better not cross, and there are valid reasons to resist such thinking.

There is no stone tablet from on high that says a loss to West Ham this weekend means something really catastrophic just happened. I still think Gerrard is fundamentally an extremely skilled young manager based on his playing career and his work at Rangers, and he needs to be given at least until December to bed in.

Gerrard could lose the next four games, and it absolutely wouldn't change my mind, even while, inside, emotionally, I would be going nuts. But I think we're at a moment in the club where we need to learn to rise above the emotions and see the larger picture. Many of the "genius" managers held out as enviable counter-examples to Gerrard had terrible win percentages last year, but they were given time -- and now they're hailed as superstars.

If SG does get the sack prematurely, and a new manager comes in and turns Villa into Bayern Munich, I'll be wearing a smile on my face. I also won't be dogging any new manager with "I told you so" knee-jerk negativity, but that still doesn't mean I think we're currently at the jumping-off point with Gerrard. 

You are doing a good job of talking me off the ledge. Good post. Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

Â