Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

For sure. We really need to see Gerrard and his team making us a harder team to beat. 

That should be the kernel of our ambitions, right now....be hard to beat, hard to play against, hard to get off the ball, hard to win duels against us, hard to win aerial balls and hard to deter our mindset.

.................and see where it takes us.....then and only then, can we realistically, set ambitions and expectations....right now, they are futile other than survival.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We made plenty of critiques during preseason, maybe you missed them…

Hardly anyone was encouraged, the performances were still poor and we still don’t have a proper identity or defined/effective style of play… he still doesn’t know his strongest team and best players…

Who is critical of the new coach???

No, I’m not hedging my bets. I’m only saying I hope I’m wrong because I want to see my club do well. I can’t enjoy losses and shite performances…

You are well aware of that fact that I don’t have belief or faith in this manager, I’ve explained it and provided reasoning  for it in several ways now 😆

I just hope we can do better asap, however that happens…

Maybe, I was more interested in results, being it so difficult to watch the play, I guess performances pre season can be distorted by fitness levels, hence my sceptical view on them.

you made a remark that Critchley is the real manager/ head coach and that SG is just the face.....so I said, but he has only been in the job for 4 games.

If Critchley is the real manager, surely your case, is weaker.....as he has only just arrived......and most of the criticism, has been aimed towards the coaching element of our play.

I think we all hope we can do better

Just now, TRO said:

Maybe, I was more interested in results, being it so difficult to watch the play, I guess performances pre season can be distorted by fitness levels, hence my sceptical view on them.

you made a remark that Critchley is the real manager/ head coach and that SG is just the face.....so I said, but he has only been in the job for 4 games.

If Critchley is the real manager, surely your case, is weaker.....as he has only just arrived......and most of the criticism, has been aimed towards the coaching element of our play.

I think we all hope we can do better

Most people say that results aren’t important in preseason, it fitness and working on team shape and tactics that is the priority…

I haven’t criticised Critchley… what I’m saying is that he will have to do most of the heavy lifting, the work, the coaching moving forwards… he’s just getting started, SG has been here for over 9 months…

Evidence suggests that’s what Beale was doing and it’s Critchley’s turn now.

Gerrard just can’t do a good enough job without an assistant who he can heavily  depend on… Critchley wasn’t present during preseason…

If Steven Gerrard says all the right things, the naysayers will pick up that as "just words"......if he says the wrong things, they too will have a negative response.

If he does turn it around and gets us on a the track, we all wnat to be on.....I do hope those non believers are man enough to come on here and say so.

I am not asking folk, to re-hash their thoughts on the games.....because we know they have been turgid.

I am referring to the manager, himself.

If it doesn't work out and he is sacked, I will be first in the queue to say, I got it wrong.....I hope I am not on my own.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

If Steven Gerrard says all the right things, the naysayers will pick up that as "just words"......if he says the wrong things, they too will have a negative response.

If he does turn it around and gets us on a the track, we all wnat to be on.....I do hope those non believers are man enough to come on here and say so.

I am not asking folk, to re-hash their thoughts on the games.....because we know they have been turgid.

I am referring to the manager, himself.

If it doesn't work out and he is sacked, I will be first in the queue to say, I got it wrong.....I hope I am not on my own.

Of course, why wouldn’t we?

I don’t care about the guy in the hotseat, I care about my football club.

But if we are doing well, credit will go where it is deserved.

If not, the blame lies with the same guy.

Anyway, who cares? Why is that so important? Isn’t the main thing that we become a successful and formidable team?

Btw, don’t you worry mate, if we keep doing shite then Critchley will be firmly in my sights too 🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Tbh TRO, I don't agree. You have to box clever and make the right decisions along the way - sometimes that is shutting up shop and settling for a draw. 

I get your philosophy and yes you are right.....but draws will not convince those that are not behind Gerrard was my point.

He needs wins and convincing wins, wins that show grit and dominant play, not just fleeting moments, thats what I expected, under him.....but still think it could come.

I am not trying to be critical, but I am not sure the fanbase are ready for your comments.... we have presided over gungho for some time.....some would not have like Ron Suanders football, even though it was a generation away and the game much slower.

Workrate, intensity, urgency, will, desire, physicality.....are rare visitors to these boards, only a small number of posters SEEM to appreciate those attributes.....as significant.....in contrast Newcastle/Brentford have embraced it.

I am not suggesting they are all you need without talent.....I saying allied to the talent we do have.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Of course, why wouldn’t we?

I don’t care about the guy in the hotseat, I care about my football club.

But if we are doing well, credit will go where it is deserved.

If not, the blame lies with the same guy.

Anyway, who cares? Why is that so important? Isn’t the main thing that we become a successful and formidable team?

Btw, don’t you worry mate, if we keep doing shite then Critchley will be firmly in my sights too 🤣

Yes the team is the main thing, the only thing for me.

but perhaps we have 823 pages on the manager, because some do care.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get your philosophy and yes you are right.....but draws will not convince those that are not behind Gerrard was my point.

He needs wins and convincing wins, wins that show grit and dominant play, not just fleeting moments, thats what I expected, under him.....but still think it could come.

I am not trying to be critical, but I am not sure the fanbase are ready for your comments.... we have presided over gungho for some time.....some would not have like Ron Suanders football, even though it was a generation away and the game much slower.

Workrate, intensity, urgency, will, desire, physicality.....are rare visitors to these boards, only a small number of posters SEEM to appreciate those attributes.....as significant.....in contrast Newcastle/Brentford have embraced it.

I am not suggesting they are all you need without talent.....I saying allied to the talent we do have.

If he had drawn half the games he lost, do you not think the situation would be a lot less hostile? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes the team is the main thing, the only thing for me.

but perhaps we have 823 pages on the manager, because some do care.

People care because he ia shit thats why so many pages

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

This will just be because " Critchley has now settled " .

Similarly to how when there was an upturn in results under Deano at one point, it was down to Shakespeare coming in ( By naysayers )

Then when we went to shit again, it was also because of Shakespeare, by defenders.

I'm trying to give the thread a break, as it's literally just become a regurgitation of the same things multiple times every day,

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I definitely would. Problem is I can't see it happening.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This will just be because " Critchley has now settled " .

Similarly to how when there was an upturn in results under Deano at one point, it was down to Shakespeare coming in ( By naysayers )

Then when we went to shit again, it was also because of Shakespeare, by defenders.

I'm trying to give the thread a break, as it's literally just become a regurgitation of the same things multiple times every day,

Bit like now then since we are apparently struggling all because Chritchley didn't have a passport :)

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That is the case with so many leaders, just the face....

If that is the case, as you say......why are we being so critical of the fact, we have a new coach.

Why wasn't we more critical of our pre-season results.....where he presided over 5 wins and a draw.

I am just being devils advocate.....I am not saying you are wrong.

but I suspect, you are presenting your arguments, in the hope you are actually wrong, and that SG proves you wrong, thats a bit hedging your bets, if I may say so.

I am the opposite.... I will continue to back his to turn this shitshow around.....and when he doesn't, will be bitterly disappointed.

To have any hope of a turn around, we must stay positive and up beat, in the stadium, in terms of what the players can hear.

If we don't believe, they won't....it does get to them.

belief, is a state of mind......."If you think you can, you can.....if you think you can't, you can't".......some teams are really no better than us...but they think they are, and it shows in their application.

make no mistake here....West Ham will be rubbing their hands coming to play us, this is Moyes redeeming game.....SG must have us fired up for this, and the crowd have to help.

We cannot, offer the initiative to them on a plate.

Are you joking? People did criticise the performances stating how the issues from last year still seemed present. 

You seemed more bothered by the results and others said pre season was just for fitness. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I'm not sure whether anyone else feels it. But to me, he seems to be losing a bit of confidence, sounding a bit like Brendon Rodgers is at the moment. Saying all the right things, but talking like he's had the ultimatum already.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure whether anyone else feels it. But to me, he seems to be losing a bit of confidence, sounding a bit like Brendon Rodgers is at the moment. Saying all the right things, but talking like he's had the ultimatum already.

Yeah last couple of pre-match videos have had that feeling.

Gerrard looks a bit stressed, but that's what happens to Villa managers for the most part.

I'd like to see him succeed as I don't want another transitional season and to start again, I hope he can get some consistency from them. We have a good team.

A win tomorrow will undoubtedly improve the confidence levels and a chance to build from there.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He’s a bit of a spiky b*****d when he really doesn’t need to be at times…

I don’t put too much faith in his words, heard it all before.

More concerned by what we’re doing out there in games and it’s been so poor, more action less talk please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah last couple of pre-match videos have had that feeling.

Gerrard looks a bit stressed, but that's what happens to Villa managers for the most part.

I'd like to see him succeed as I don't want another transitional season and to start again, I hope he can get some consistency from them. We have a good team.

A win tomorrow will undoubtedly improve the confidence levels and a chance to build from there.

Mate i'm not even the Manager and the thread stresses me out.

So imagine actually being in the hot seat when things aren't going well. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate i'm not even the Manager and the thread stresses me out.

So imagine actually being in the hot seat when things aren't going well. lol

True.

But then it would be less of a concern for me if I was earning £3m / year or whatever Gerrard is on.

• Haha 1

Â