Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah this is a bit of exaggeration for effect here.

Every Manager would like to think they are " learning " all the time. Maybe the poster said it wrong, but I think he means learning = gaining experience.

As a matter of fact one of the things I liked about Deano was the fact that he always said he's always learning and wants to learn.

We all know he is a " rookie " Manager.

However the point some are making is valid I'll admit.

They are basically saying if we wanted to hire a " learning " Manager we might as well had kept Deano.

Undoubtedly a line like that would go down better if it was Dean, for obvious reasons.

We were already on that road with Smith. Getting rid of him signified that it wasn't good enough to just be learning anymore. Makes this appointment all the more baffling. Nothing wrong with the learning in itself, it's the 180 from the board that doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We're simply not winning enough games.

3 wins in last 13 is very poor and is win ratio that would have us relegated over a full season considering we don't draw that many anymore.

Two of those wins are against teams no longer in prem and we've never really looked like beating a top 8 team under him bar that late comeback v Man. United.

The goalposts really seem to have shifted compared to a year ago for those posters who think he can just coast up to the world cup barely winning a game in the premier league. I think he's going to be under massive pressure by this time next week as we could easily lose the next two.

You are right, we are not winning enough games.....and any discerning fan, watching the games and studying the play, will tell you, unless we play a struggling team, we are not likely too.

Now, folk will have their own ideas, whats wrong and I would suspect, that would consist of many different permutations.....with the ultimate pathway back to the manager, hard to argue with that, but is it too simplistic?....I ask not tell.

Its no good looking at the past record, when you only have to pick out a game and say.....we are going no where, playing like that.

He knows more than we do.....He can't continue, with this insipid, turgid, brand of football.....If he can't see past that, it will be his ultimate downfall and Liverpool, will be a myth.

He has to get something from these players that screams out loud......"We are hard to play against"......if he doesn't, I do fear the worst.

Its only wins and a tough spine, that will save him.

Really enjoyed that press conference again.

Slightly different reasons than the usual. Enjoyable jousting with a few.

Reporters best be on their toes heading in to a Bodymoor press conferences.

Edited by Tomaszk

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We were already on that road with Smith. Getting rid of him signified that it wasn't good enough to just be learning anymore. Makes this appointment all the more baffling. Nothing wrong with the learning in itself, it's the 180 from the board that doesn't make sense.

I did say this though, and I understand why that terminology wouldn't go down well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really enjoyed that press conference again.

Slightly different reasons than the usual. Enjoyable jousting with a few.

Reporters best be on their toes heading in to a Bodymoor press conferences.

My favourite part was the 10 second span where he said "I have never said that word" to "oh yes I remember that".

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

My favourite part was the 10 second span where he said "I have never said that word" to "oh yes I remember that".

I laughed out loud.

No harm "Oh yeah, you're right, I did say that" especially when you've firmly said I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT 

44 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well.. because the board don't make these decisions.

They've got Purslow to.

It's a sensible thing providing they've got the right man. Someone that would get their mate/hero into a key job has no business being in such a senior position.

I hope the board move Purslow on when Gerrard gets the boot. Sadly, I think they may have to step in to remove Gerrard as well, don't think Purslow will have it in him.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Well.. because the board don't make these decisions.

They've got Purslow to.

It's a sensible thing providing they've got the right man. Someone that would get their mate/hero into a key job has no business being in such a senior position.

I hope the board move Purslow on when Gerrard gets the boot. Sadly, I think they may have to step in to remove Gerrard as well, don't think Purslow will have it in him.

Based on previous hiring decisions, I don't think there's any reason to think that the owners weren't fully on board with getting a world famous former player.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Based on previous hiring decisions, I don't think there's any reason to think that the owners weren't fully on board with getting a world famous former player.

Oh yeah, but only because Purslow went and brought him in. They didn't just pluck Steven Gerrard who they remember scoring against USA to be manager.

"Do you want this guy...he's brilliant..." plus Gerrard would obviously interview very well.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We should probably be questioning the club at this point then. I understood the gamble when we were in the Championship, but gambling on a guy, paying him a lot of money, modifying the transfer strategy to support him (which carries its own inherent risk), doesn't seem particularly smart imo. I don't see the reasoning behind it, especially considering we sacked the last guy who was learning to be a PL manager in favour of what I thought would be someone who could take us to the next level. Why wait 1 year+ for something that might never happen? Can't wrap my head around this.

The Board have to make decisions that they believe are right for the club. Its fairly irrelevant whether you or I or anyone else thought Deano could take us to the next level,. They obviously believe Gerrard has more chance of success at Villa than Deano. The board made a conscious decision to employ a rookie and they decided the risk was worth it. Having made the decision to employ a rookie it would be daft to sack him before he has learned on the job.

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The Board have to make decisions that they believe are right for the club. Its fairly irrelevant whether you or I or anyone else thought Deano could take us to the next level,. They obviously believe Gerrard has more chance of success at Villa than Deano. The board made a conscious decision to employ a rookie and they decided the risk was worth it. Having made the decision to employ a rookie it would be daft to sack him before he has learned on the job.

I wasn't talking about Deano taking us to the next level, but Gerrard. At least that was what Purslow seemed to be saying about what Smith's successor needing to do. I could be remembering that wrong though. 

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

How long do we wait?

If after 6 games we still have just 3 points is that long enough?

If we have 5 by Xmas is that long enough?

Keep waiting and it'll be too late to save us and we will end up back in the Championship.

Since SG took over, if we continue with the same points per game, we will be relegated.  And his points per game is on a downward trend along with the quality of the football we play.

We will give him as much time as possible as it will cost us a huge amount of money to and replace him. It is not a boolean decision as many factors impact it. There will be no predetermined amount of games that will cost SG his job. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

We will give him as much time as possible as it will cost us a huge amount of money to and replace him. It is not a boolean decision as many factors impact it. There will be no predetermined amount of games that will cost SG his job. 

Getting relegated will cost a whole lot more...

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I wasn't talking about Deano taking us to the next level, but Gerrard. At least that was what Purslow seemed to be saying about what Smith's successor needing to do. I could be remembering that wrong though. 

I don't recall him saying that he would achieve that after 30 odd games. I am surprised he said that, I thought he was a smart guy. When did he say that, do you have a link?

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Having made the decision to employ a rookie it would be daft to sack him before he has learned on the job.

Gerrard should be judged in exactly the same way as any other manager.  We are Aston Villa, not some testing ground for wannabe managers to see if they can do the job or not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Getting relegated will cost a whole lot more...

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

We will give him as much time as possible as it will cost us a huge amount of money to and replace him.

If we are looking like relegation candidates SG will be sacked. But the board will GIVE HIM AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE before having to make this decision

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Gerrard should be judged in exactly the same way as any other manager.  We are Aston Villa, not some testing ground for wannabe managers to see if they can do the job or not. 

We are Aston Villa and we have made a decision to try a rookie manager. Like it or not, that is what has happened and that is what Aston Villa decided to do

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The premier league pays the club around £2 million extra per position, so the difference between ending up at 17 or 12 is £10 million. That is a huge amount of money.

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

I cannot believe it, the latest excuse for Gerrard is that he isn’t a real manager, but a trainee manager. The worst is that there are some fans that thinks that is a good thing.

Yeah Gerrard came here on a YTS vocational training contract. He has to complete assessments every 3 months and meetings to see if he is on track with his coursework. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

We are Aston Villa and we have made a decision to try a rookie manager. Like it or not, that is what has happened and that is what Aston Villa decided to do

What's the point of this post?

Everyone knows.

Why do you keep saying it.

Â