Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Aren’t we? His ppg average in 2022 gets worse.  We don’t look good on the pitch, our next run of games is a real problem.  Do you actually want to wait until we are in the relegation scrap which seems inevitable than do something now? Look at the only teams we’ve beaten at the end of last season and to now, just poor relegation level teams.  We are basically there and it’s catching up with us.

I’m dreading the next few games… can see us being torn to shreds and utterly shamed and embarrassed. A heavy defeat or two is incoming…

It feels like the majority of teams know what they’re doing and have an effective way of playing. Looking dangerous and getting good results. Managers getting a tune out of their players…

Then there’s us…

What do people think the minimum amount of points needed between now and the international break for Gerrard to remain in the job? I’m not asking what you would want, but what you think the board require to be satisfied.

I know people have been vocal about seeing better performances, and improved performances should mean improved results. But ultimately results are the deal breaker.

West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Man City (h), Leicester (a), Southampton (h)

I don’t like writing off games, but I’m not expecting much from Arsenal or Man City and I don’t think the board will either.

Six points, would that be enough? Would mean being on nine points after eight games. West Ham feels like a decisive match, as it feels like if we lose to an out of form side then go into those next two matches, it’s going to be brutal.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What do people think the minimum amount of points needed between now and the international break for Gerrard to remain in the job? I’m not asking what you would want, but what you think the board require to be satisfied.

I know people have been vocal about seeing better performances, and improved performances should mean improved results. But ultimately results are the deal breaker.

I don’t like writing off games, but I’m not expecting much from Arsenal or Man City and I don’t think the board will either.

Six points, would that be enough? Would mean being on nine points after eight games. West Ham feels like a decisive match, as it feels like if we lose to an out of form side then go into those next two matches, it’s going to be brutal.

We have a disconnect here. It won't be the points total or even a run of games exclusively. The Club has insights to the goings on, the attitudes and mood of the playing and coaching staff that we don't. This often leaves us frustrated as we mostly see things out of context and with detail or nuance. 

On the other hand, that fact can make the club slow to act as they are at times too close to the problem. But we tend to oversimplify the process. 

That said, get nothing from that string of games and the fanbase will be LIVID... er.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It sounds crazy this early but its a must win IMO.

Winless and no goals so far , too lose to them them have Arsenal and City to play ..yeah West Ham is massive now 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

9 points after 8 games is relegation from so still not really good enough. Maybe it will also depend on the performances in those games? If we lose to Man City and Arsenal but give them tough games it might give him some credit. 

If we have 9 points after 8 games I think he will get to the World Cup break.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’d say 6 is acceptable if we didn’t look so shit. 9 would get us back on track.

The problem he has, is it means West Ham is a actual real life must win, as there’s near 0 chance we get points from Arsenal or City and I don’t think he can survive on 3 points from 6 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Agree to some extent but when you look at how other clubs have improved in a similar period or even shorter, and the investment and backing he's had, it's no surprise people are getting fed up. 

For me, time has to be earned. Giving a manager time isn't something that will lead to success. There has to be something to show that more investment in time will pay off. 

There's just nothing there to suggest it will at the moment. 

Oh, I agree - although I also think heavy investment in a project and then sacking it off less than a year later is... perhaps not the smartest thing to do.

Plenty of examples of it going both ways, I guess.

Just caught up with MOTD from last night, and it really is depressing to see how teams which we were ahead of have managed to overtake us in the time Gerrard has been here (Leeds, Newcastle etc)

At this stage, the longer he stays the more we are undoing the progress made over the past few years. In terms of squad harmony, bond between club and fans and ultimately our aims to break the top 10. 

It was time for Smith to go, but replacing him with Gerrard has to be one of the worst mistakes in the modern history of the club. We've arguably got a stronger squad than at any point since the 90s, but are going backwards. It's some achievement really 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

10 points is needed up to the break for me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

10 points is needed up to the break for me

That would mean beating West Ham, Leicester and Southampton, and getting a draw against either Arsenal or City.

Setting unrealistic targets so you know he won't meet them 🤣

Edited by duke313

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That would mean beating West, Leicester and Southampton, and getting a draw against either Arsenal or City.

I took it to mean 10 points in total, including the 3 from Everton.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Funnily enough I don't remember anyone wanting Mcleish or Sherwood to be given more time. 

Somehow I did all the way until a few days before they got sacked!

I think i've become less patient nowadays though as i can't see any way Gerrard can turn this around.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That would mean beating West, Leicester and Southampton, and getting a draw against either Arsenal or City.

If people had said 13 points at the start of the season, that wouldn’t have been unrealistic, based on the preseason results. Now that we know we are just as bad as we were towards the end of last season, it have been come unrealistic. It is most likely that we get 0 points from the next 5, meaning even asking for 1 point is unrealistic. That is the state we are in.

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

If people had said 13 points at the start of the season, that wouldn’t have been unrealistic, based on the preseason results. Now that we know we are just as bad as we were towards the end of last season, it have been come unrealistic. It is most likely that we get 0 points from the next 5, meaning even asking for 1 point is unrealistic. That is the state we are in.

If we lose all of the next 5 games, he's gone for sure.

Â