Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It cuts both ways: would Gerrard perform better with Grealish? 

It does cut both ways but even with Grealish, our squad in our first PL season is incomparable to the one we have now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

No, I get that Nick, and your first post on this thread illustrates that perfectly. I feel exactly the same, although (and I'm not talking about you here) I also try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and try to remain objective when it comes to achievement. Long term achievement requires long term thinking and investment, both financially and with respect to personnel. Short term thinking and reaction seldom results in long term success. That's why I generally abhor pushing the 'sack' button until things are played out. Playing devil's advocate here, SG has not had a calendar year here. Since 2010 we've had 9 managers, who have been with the club an average of 1.5 seasons. For whatever reason that's too many to be successful.  

That is mostly down to poor recruitment. We have hired some absolute garbage! How many have gone on to bigger jobs? How many are still managing? Apart from the journey man Steve Bruce and Dean Smith.

Honest question, lets hypothetically say we are bottom at Xmas , do we continue with Gerrard on the basis he might turn it around? 

Can you really see Gerrard turn this around? Based on the performances as of late, i dont. I see us in the bottom 3 in a few weeks, after 2 absolute smashing at the hands of Arsenal and City. He is tactically weak , he has said as much (Beale was the guru!) 

Defense is so disorganized. 

29 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Some would, yeah. 

Quote from the first page of this thread, from before a ball was kicked, or in-fact even before any press conferences:

"Gutted.

Sooner he's gone the better."

Well, I can’t speak for other people or read into their mindset too much with certain comments. Nor tell how much intent there was behind their words…

All I can say is… I hate losing games. I hate seeing us performing badly, being embarrassed, being surpassed.

Anyone who derives pleasure from seeing us lose any game, is not a Villa fan.

My point, that I keep making and is seemingly being overlooked, is that I have no belief that we will improve or win enough games or perform well enough under this manager after what he has produced so far. It’s as simple as that.

This view has been established after a period of over 9 months and after an atrocious start to this season where I see an underperforming, aimless, clueless team out there and the person responsible for that is the manager.

Whether I am right or wrong, the only solution I can see is to remove him and bring in someone competent.

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Well, I can’t speak for other people or read into their mindset too much with certain comments. Nor tell how much intent there was behind their words…

All I can say is… I hate losing games. I hate seeing us performing badly, being embarrassed, being surpassed.

My point, that I keep making and is seemingly being overlooked, is that I have no belief that we will improve or win enough games or perform well enough under this manager after what he has produced so far. It’s as simple as that.

This view has been established after a period of over 9 months and after an atrocious start to this season where I see an underperforming, aimless, clueless team out there and the person responsible for that is the manager.

Whether I am right or wrong, the only solution I can see is to remove him and bring in someone competent.

What if it’s the only way Gerrard will be sacked ?

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

And that's cool, as I said I have no truck with reasonable opinions that have been formed on the basis of actual events and facts. 

Another poster on this thread (page 6) said that they hope that SG loses the first 5 games in charge and gets sacked. If that person tells me 'I told you so', I'm just not having it.

My guess is that the people who have taken time to consider their opinions, such as yourself, are not going to be the ones saying 'I told you so'.  

Here’s a hypothetical question for everyone. Which scenario would you prefer?

a) We get 11 points from the next 5 games and then Gerrard gets rest of the season. 

b) we keep losing until Gerrard gets the sack. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I haven’t seen where Preece has actually said this but if true I’m not entirely shocked

To be fair, once these things even start getting addressed you're ona slippery slope.

Votes of confidence are usually borderline warnings IMO

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Here’s a hypothetical question for everyone one. Which scenario would you prefer?

a) We get 11 points from the next 5 games and then Gerrard gets rest of the season. 

A

For me anyway.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You'd call for his sacking when we are winning? 

I think you misunderstood my post. The OP said anybody that takes pleasure in us losing is not a Villa fan. 

But losing is the only way Gerrard will lose his job. So do those that want Gerrard gone want us to win games or do they prefer us to lose so he will be replaced?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Here’s a hypothetical question for everyone. Which scenario would you prefer?

B

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I haven’t seen where Preece has actually said this but if true I’m not entirely shocked

Thats it he is gone, I expect it announced soon. Preece has about a 2% chance of getting it right

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you misunderstood my post. The OP said anybody that takes pleasure in us losing is not a Villa fan. 

But losing is the only way Gerrard will lose his job. So do those that want Gerrard gone want us to win games ?

Ah, fair enough. Soz. 

• Like 1

Â