Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Seems like 90% on here want Gerrard out 

I think most were expecting a big change on the pitch, with a couple signings in weak areas, and a full pre-season.

but it’s the same old performance, if not worse than last season.

I don’t want him sacked, it is only one game after all, but I don’t think he’ll be able to turn it around. 

26 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Win percentages, for mine, are a bit misleading: It doesn't separate losses from draws.

If we look at loss percentages - that is, where you failed to pick up a point - the table would look like this (the higher the percentage, the worse you are)

Paul Lambert: 47.82%

Tim Sherwood: 57.14%

Remi Garde: 56.52%

Roberto Di Matteo: 33.33%

Steve Bruce: 30.39%

Dean Smith: 38.05%

Steven Gerrard: 52.38%

Not good reading for Gerrard - only Sherwood and Garde failed harder.

Also worth to remember which division the results came in, Bruce (and to some extent Smith) looks more successful after managing in the championship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think most were expecting a big change on the pitch, with a couple signings in weak areas, and a full pre-season.

but it’s the same old performance, if not worse than last season.

I don’t want him sacked, it is only one game after all, but I don’t think he’ll be able to turn it around. 

Then what’s the point in persevering with him then? We’re just going to continue losing games and put in pathetic, pitiful performances.

Why waste another season?

The only point in sticking with him is if there actual signs and true belief that he can turn it around and quickly… 

Top half? Europe?

spacer.png

(if you know the movie and story… then I feel the same inner pain as good old Nic here 😆)

Edited by Jas10

52 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

That can't be right can it? We won his first 4 matches (IIRC?) which skews his win percentage massively. But surely we've won more than 4 games since then?

Yeah its why I deleted my post. I think Wikipedia is wrong.

here is what the premier league says.

image.png.1c4f5672afac1919978d63163d77eb34.png
https://www.premierleague.com/managers/24234/Steven-Gerrard/overview

Here is what transfermarkt says:

image.png.33bdd373a3ea6a37d54456c5bc5a23c9.png

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-gerrard/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/51276/verein_id/405/datum_zu/2021-11-11/datum_ab/2022-08-08

I dunno.

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yeah its why I deleted my post. I think Wikipedia is wrong.

here is what the premier league says.

image.png.1c4f5672afac1919978d63163d77eb34.png
https://www.premierleague.com/managers/24234/Steven-Gerrard/overview

Here is what transfermarkt says:

image.png.33bdd373a3ea6a37d54456c5bc5a23c9.png

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-gerrard/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/51276/verein_id/405/datum_zu/2021-11-11/datum_ab/2022-08-08

I dunno.

They’re both correct, Transfermarkt includes the cup loss against Man U.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Risso said:

Loss percentages are misleading for the very same reason, it doesn't separate wins from draws.

True - but it does separate points from no points. A cleaner cut but, admittedly, not by much.

Very simple for me has had backing by the owners with $$$ signings players he wanted , full preseason no excuses  whatsoever time to deliver we cannot be seeing the same mistakes as last year.

This issue I have with the manager is that we don't have a identity or system and we keep on chopping and changing the side.

Edited by ozvilla28

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Isnt that on the manager and the fact he has no playing structure.

People on here called it out in pre season and were laughed at as being dramatic. Now it's not a joke

Yeh it is. That’s why I said it in this thread. 

No tactical nous, no shape or identity, 11 players on the pitch not knowing what to do and waiting for a moment of magic from someone, throwing players under the bus, sulking when the going gets tough, snapping at the media.

Only fan criticism left to complete the Bruce bingo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

No tactical nous, no shape or identity, 11 players on the pitch not knowing what to do and waiting for a moment of magic from someone, throwing players under the bus, sulking when the going gets tough, snapping at the media.

Only fan criticism left to complete the Bruce bingo. 

Yeah, he's done for tbh. Might stay the execution by winning a bit, but he's gone I think. 

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's what happens when people have been blowing smoke up your ass your whole life. You would think he was Pirlo or Zidane the way the English media went on about him.

Yeah you might be right. Though I don’t have a huge problem with people thinking he was a great player- he genuinely was right up there. But the correlation between being a great player and a great manager is weak. You raise Pirlo as an example which is instructive- great player, shit manager.

from what I’ve seen great managers fall into two camps in terms of background. They’re either complete unknowns/had a very insignificant playing career (mourinho, potter, Ferguson, Klopp) or they reached the top level but in more unsung type roles next to bigger names (Guardiola, pochettino, ancelotti).

genuine elite star players tend to make crap managers: see gerrard, lampard, maradona, Henry, pirlo. The one exception I can think of is Zidane who was a great manager and player 

• Like 1

For those thinking he might get sacked in 10 games or so because dean did are crazy. The club didn’t just sign coutinho on obsurd wages for the manager to just him him off at the start of the season

5 minutes ago, grobs said:

For those thinking he might get sacked in 10 games or so because dean did are crazy. The club didn’t just sign coutinho on obsurd wages for the manager to just him him off at the start of the season

So if we are bottom 6 by the WC...you genuinely don't believe that SG will be sacked? Beg to differ......

Edited by eholm

5 minutes ago, grobs said:

It's more crazy to think the club hierarchy will stand by him irrespective of results and performances. 

The players we've signed are good players, to build on good players who were already here. 

The problem is the manager can't make a winning team out of them - but another might. 

3 minutes ago, grobs said:

He’s been here 29 games so far.

If Coutinho was signed as a personal gift to Gerrard, that’s stupid. If it means we have to keep Gerrard so as not to upset Coutinho, that’s even more stupid.

Gerrard has been allowed by Purslow to sign older players and give them higher wages. That means results must come immediately, if they don’t we’ll turn into Everton very quickly.

17 minutes ago, grobs said:

I think any manager is probably only 6 or 7 games away from the sack, regardless of who you manage. 

That being said, I can't see Gerrard being sacked unless we end up losing our first 6 or 7 games, which I don't think we will do. I think we'll be back in the middle of the pack by then. 

Â