10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He was pretty funny this week, some highlights

Q: "is this the first time ever you have wanted Liverpool to lose?" 

A: "yeah you have figured that one out, congratulations"
-----------------------
Q: "you never played under Klopp how will it be facing him as a manager"

A: "you got your research wrong  I played under Klopp"
------------------------

Finally I LOVE the change in tone when he is speaking to Villa local media (like Ashley Preese) vs the national media. With local media he is all "good question" or "quite right, here is what we we were trying to do" vs his close to open contempt for the national media.  You love to see it.

Would make a change from Rangers as they didn't they ban the local journos going to Ibrox?

On 11/12/2021 at 21:45, hippo said:

I don't care who we are playing. If the only way we get out of our own half is to boot the ball and chase it - that's not going to work.

playing games like that, with our squad, you sometimes have to resort to a style that is not the long term intention......We will morph as we go, right now its "clean sheets and a nick a goal, 3 points"........style.

5 games in and in our league position, that was a dogged attempt at a point imv.....The penalty, changed the dynamics for us, and affected the gameplan.

He can't be expected to come in and change us in to a side that takes the game to Liverpool in their own back yard....that really is pie in the sky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

playing games like that, with our squad, you sometimes have to resort to a style that is not the long term intention......We will morph as we go, right now its "clean sheets and a nick a goal, 3 points"........style.

5 games in and in our league position, that was a dogged attempt at a point imv.....The penalty, changed the dynamics for us, and affected the gameplan.

He can't be expected to come in and change us in to a side that takes the game to Liverpool in their own back yard....that really is pie in the sky.

Definitely agree here. We conclude that he hasn't been in the door long enough to get carried away with the good results, yet are willing to extrapolate his long term defensive intentions based on the same game sample size? This is not his squad. he hasn't one player in there that he's chosen himself. Him and his team will have identified what we can do, what we might be able to do and what we downright cannot do pretty quickly. This will inform the game plans he feels he can play, but not the ones he will want to play going forward. He's not perfect all infallible but is highly motivated to succeed. That will take time and patience (though I suspect not too much).

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He was pretty funny this week, some highlights

Q: "is this the first time ever you have wanted Liverpool to lose?" 

A: "yeah you have figured that one out, congratulations"
-----------------------
Q: "you never played under Klopp how will it be facing him as a manager"

A: "you got your research wrong  I played under Klopp"
------------------------

Finally I LOVE the change in tone when he is speaking to Villa local media (like Ashley Preese) vs the national media. With local media he is all "good question" or "quite right, here is what we we were trying to do" vs his close to open contempt for the national media.  You love to see it.

The question last week after the Leicester game, " will going back to Anfield next week be sentimental?" Stevie, in a nutshell,  "no"! I'm really impressed with his dedication and passion for the Villa.  

• Like 2

Its early days hes still learning about the team. You got to be toughth to beat first but yes we lacked any creativity in that Liverpool game. He will already identified the weak areas and will adress this in January. I think the midfield is still a problem and its not helping having Traore and Bailey out for much of the season. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I understand all of that but we're not discussing what he may do down the line we are merely talking about the previous game.  It has to be OK to be disappointed and criticize a performance when not registering a single shot on target and not looking like scoring for 90 minutes. 

If you put it in context, yes. But you don't, ever, because you don't seem to factor the form of opposition, overall objective (i.e. getting a result by any means necessary), the constraints of our existing team,  the time our manager has been with the team.... the list goes on. 

From what I see, you seem to solely take into consideration the name of the opposition, and a perceived estimate of whether we should be beating them based on the stature of that name in world football (hence the recent West Ham quotes). 

You mentioned yesterday that you expect us to be beating teams in mid table and relegation places (again on what basis?). Taking 8th down as mid table, which people have subsequently been using in the Leicester debate, this would mean (even if we got zero draws) a points total of 72 pts,  which based on the last three years league tables would put us 3rd and in the Champions League. 

The criticism and expectations presented, both on a game by game basis, and on the achievements of the season as a whole are just totally unrealistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

After the Houllier debacle, I have to say I thought Gerrard handled yesterday excellently. Respectful to both sets of fans 

TBH, anyone expecting Gerrard to do anything close to what Houllier did is a bit delusional.  Houllier gave a masterclass on how not to handle returning to a club you had a relationship with and you'd be hard pressed to find any other manager act that unprofessional again.  He treated it as his testimonial and not another day at the job.

• Waving/cheered on the KOP while we were getting our teeth kicked in
  • Touching the Liverpool tunnel sign and hamming it up for the cameras in front of Liverpool crests before the match
  • "Forgetting" to go into the away dressing room at full time and going into the home dressing room first
  • Telling the press after the match that he didn't mind losing to Liverpool because he "likes Liverpool"
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I understand all of that but we're not discussing what he may do down the line we are merely talking about the previous game.  It has to be OK to be disappointed and criticize a performance when not registering a single shot on target and not looking like scoring for 90 minutes. 

While I disagree with your reluctance to give Villa any credit for that performance ...There is also a side to your views, That I like.....you are passionate about winning, and so am I....and I recognise a balance has to be made, in terms of accepting defeat too easily, which is easy to slip in to.

I would imagine SG is equally as gauled at losing as we are.....but you have to temper that at times with reality.

I don't think SG will be so accepting of defeat outside the top 3....where he will be well aware of their superior ability.....He can only really ask for 110% work rate ( thanks Ron), their ability, he will work on, but takes time.....He will want some of his own players, that takes time too and the restrictions of windows.

I don't think we have anything to worry about......all in good time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Strictly speaking, discussing the previous game should be for the ratings and reactions thread of the previous game. I would more expect this thread to be looking at the bigger picture, so what he may do down the line seems a very legitimate topic.

Exactly, only as good as your last game really winds me up.  Beat Leicester - ‘we’re on to big things under Gerrard’. Lose to one of the best teams in the world - ‘maybe I jumped on the Gerrard bandwagon too early’.

😡 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

TBH, anyone expecting Gerrard to do anything close to what Houllier did is a bit delusional.  Houllier gave a masterclass on how not to handle returning to a club you had a relationship with and you'd be hard pressed to find any other manager act that unprofessional again.  He treated it as his testimonial and not another day at the job.

• Waving/cheered on the KOP while we were getting our teeth kicked in
  • Touching the Liverpool tunnel sign and hamming it up for the cameras in front of Liverpool crests before the match
  • "Forgetting" to go into the away dressing room at full time and going into the home dressing room first
  • Telling the press after the match that he didn't mind losing to Liverpool because he "likes Liverpool"

I am not one for really sharing too much football stuff on my fb.  But the day he did that i remember going on a rant of insane proportions telling him to get the fook out my club . The bloke was a decent guy but i did lose all respect for him that day.  And then we still finished 9th in the league !! 

positive side is 9 points from 5 games.  1.8 points/game

that works out to 68 points over a season... obviously a small sample size, but as many have said, we have only played top3 and mid table sides- so a pretty tough 5 games imo.  Frankly the next 4 matches should be 7 points minimum if we continue on this form.  That would put us as 26 points after 20 matches, on pace for about 50 points for the season.  I see no reason why we cannot surpass that total and challenge 55-60 points.  That would put us in the top6-8 running potentially.  Just getting us within spitting distance of Europe I think would really light a fire under the players- no reason why we cannot make that jump this season.

• Like 1

Â