Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Same, I am enjoying getting carried away with it all. Enjoying the moment!

Bang on. Hate to be morbid but we never know what's around the corner - I'm in with both boots on this, there's no time to lose and of it goes to **** then so what? I was happy at the time and enjoyed it while it lasted. And if it doesn't I got a head start on the rush :D

• Like 3

Just now, nick76 said:

Just watched Sky Sports and they mentioned Gerrard has a link with our opponents today.  Apparently he played for Liverpool at some point in his playing career…it’s amazing what you learn.

Eh? When was this? Funny how it never comes up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Dean Smith was a breath of fresh air after having to listen to years of Steve Bruce. 

And if I'm being honest its the same right now. When Gerrard talks, he makes me believe that we are a huge club and are heading towards big things. 

And imagine if you are a player listening to it day in and day out? He'd make you feel 10 ft tall (or half a Tommy elphick in old money)

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not just saying this because he has gone and I was always a big fan of Smith. But I did find his press conferences boring. Not that it mattered of course. 

After awhile I tend to agree with you, a little bit too repetitive and clichéd.

Time will tell regarding Gerrard but he has stature, energy, desire and he is good to listen to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m not just saying this because he has gone and I was always a big fan of Smith. But I did find his press conferences boring. Not that it mattered of course. 

I didn't find DS ones boring at all tbh, just think he was a bit matey with Journalists and annoying he'd never give proper update on injuries and timescales.

With Gerrard think everyone can tell there's a real business air about them e.g. he knows what he wants to achieve here and it's up to everyone to be up for it and join him so a little bit more ruthless in his nature and that includes dealing with the journalists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Just watched Sky Sports and they mentioned Gerrard has a link with our opponents today.  Apparently he played for Liverpool at some point in his playing career…it’s amazing what you learn.

Quite disrespectful all this, especially to Liverpool legend...

Danny Ings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

The BBC mindset: 

Screenshot_2021-12-11-12-24-11-38_4e3a4e884d35a3e473eec66b07ef8cea.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I didn't find DS ones boring at all tbh, just think he was a bit matey with Journalists and annoying he'd never give proper update on injuries and timescales.

With Gerrard think everyone can tell there's a real business air about them e.g. he knows what he wants to achieve here and it's up to everyone to be up for it and join him so a little bit more ruthless in his nature and that includes dealing with the journalists.

I also think it's new for us all so it's different and interesting but I think over time it will become a little boring.  This will be nothing about the heights of the team and where they will go but Press Conferences are literally just that, and on the whole dont tell you much and after a while become boring not just because of the manager but the journalist questions.  Gerrard is a new toy at the moment for us Villa fans so it does seem interesting to hear things put in a new way but on the whole press conferences for most managers are only interesting when the manager is new, something major is happening or there something happens in the press conference unexpected/unusual.

• Like 2

I pretty much find every manager or player interview and press conference boring because most of them are so media trained and rehearsed these days. But mostly because the "journalists" never asks any interesting or difficult questions. Just the same generic no substance drivel that means absolutely nothing and reveals absolutely nothing.

Fwiw Gerrard seems very good and professional at it, which is not surprising since he's been doing these for 20 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

And imagine if you are a player listening to it day in and day out? He'd make you feel 10 ft tall (or half a Tommy elphick in old money)

You mean 2x Tommy Elphicks? 

Unless Tommy goes by the name Groot these days.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

me too...just doesn't sound convincing....shame really.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I'm not sure I agree with his stance that Gerrard will never become an elite manager. When you consider the attributes a player has that translate best into management, Gerrard has them all in spades.

I agree that he has a lot to prove, but I think more than anyone he has what it takes to become elite.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

I'm not sure I agree with his stance that Gerrard will never become an elite manager. When you consider the attributes a player has that translate best into management, Gerrard has them all in spades.

I agree that he has a lot to prove, but I think more than anyone he has what it takes to become elite.

He’s an idiot. First his painfully obvious comment of “I still feel there is a gap between being an elite manager and where Steven Gerrard is. But you start somewhere.” Then he says he doesn’t think he’ll be elite with no explanation for why he believes that. No one has any clue as to what kind of manager Gerrard will but so far he’s looking pretty damn good. Lets hope it continues.

• Like 2

Â