Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 21/11/2021 at 08:04, useless said:

I watched the replay of the game, was expecting it to be a smash and grab going by some of the reactions, yet whilst it wasn't a brilliant performance, but I thought we were the better team and well deserving of the win, we always looked the most likely to score and our attacking players looked the most likely to make something happen, Brighton on the other hand had more possession but it wasn't as if they had that possession because we couldn't get near them and they were passing the ball around us, they had a lot of the ball but in undangerous areas, allowing a team to do that can sometimes be a tactic.

A good start for the new coaching set-up and something to build upon.

In his post match interview he actually said they had the ball in the areas we wanted them to have the ball in. Which is Scouse for non dangerous areas. 

• Like 3

On 21/11/2021 at 14:07, Mark Albrighton said:

Crikey.  How much are we paying him? The cost of that full replica kids kit, with socks even? Elon Musk would baulk at that kind of madness. 

• Haha 2

On 20/11/2021 at 19:34, Spoony said:

Is this for real btw? I ask because Peter Crouch mentions a ketchup ban in his autobiography. Can’t remember who implemented it (maybe Benitez?). 

As an aside, Crouchy’s autobiography is f***ing brilliant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The latest training video looked no different to those released under Smith.

The intensity has gone already, where's the pashun?

Gerrard Out. 

Slacking and waiting for the Liverpool job.

;)

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 09:46, nick76 said:

You’d like to think that but sadly we know the truth!

It will be the same scenario as with Dean Smith, except this time, the voices may be different and some reversed.

I would like to think, that a fair amount of time will be apportioned to the judgment of SG, just like was given to DS.

However, in some quarters, I also think, that the opinions formulated before a ball was kicked, will hang around until it becomes plainly obvious, that we are on the up....but I also suspect he won't be given 27 wins in 80 odd games over 2 and a bit years latitude, that Dean Enjoyed, the heat will be turned up, more than that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

It will be the same scenario as with Dean Smith, except this time, the voices may be different and some reversed.

I would like to think, that a fair amount of time will be apportioned to the judgment of SG, just like was given to DS.

However, in some quarters, I also think, that the opinions formulated before a ball was kicked, will hang around until it becomes plainly obvious, that we are on the up....but I also suspect he won't be given 27 wins in 80 odd games over 2 and a bit years latitude, that Dean Enjoyed, the heat will be turned up, more than that.

Well we are not a newly promoted side in complete rebuild anymore thankfully so as you say the expectations and demands will be higher. As they showed by letting Smith go.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

I also suspect he won't be given 27 wins in 80 odd games over 2 and a bit years latitude, that Dean Enjoyed, the heat will be turned up, more than that.

I agree. The club - Purslow and the owners have a different situation now. When they took over we were a Championship club with their aim to get up in 2 years...and etc.

The situation Gerrard has come to is the Club considers it is established back as a PL club, and desires to be a European club. Survival after getting up is in the past. His targets are to challenge for Europe. That's the measures laid down by the owners and Purslow. that's what he'll be judged on. It's what Deano was judged on, too.

As for fans' opinions, I guess most accepted that the same criteria I've just laid down were not being met and therefore the board had a level of justification for changing the manager this season.  I don't think it's anything to do with latitude being given - it's just results based in the current times. He'll get a grace period I guess, but it'll be relatively short. That's the way we're being run now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree. The club - Purslow and the owners have a different situation now. When they took over we were a Championship club with their aim to get up in 2 years...and etc.

The situation Gerrard has come to is the Club considers it is established back as a PL club, and desires to be a European club. Survival after getting up is in the past. His targets are to challenge for Europe. That's the measures laid down by the owners and Purslow. that's what he'll be judged on. It's what Deano was judged on, too.

As for fans' opinions, I guess most accepted that the same criteria I've just laid down were not being met and therefore the board had a level of justification for changing the manager this season.  I don't think it's anything to do with latitude being given - it's just results based in the current times. He'll get a grace period I guess, but it'll be relatively short. That's the way we're being run now.

Lets hope, that we can produce a more stable set of results, against teams we have been reasonably expected to beat...but of course that takes time, the start, is encouraging, albeit one game.

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

However, in some quarters, I also think, that the opinions formulated before a ball was kicked, will hang around until it becomes plainly obvious, that we are on the up

I think that is a rational/logical way though isn’t it.  I’m not convinced until sufficient evidence warrants it…almost an “Atheist” type view.  Once there is sufficient evidence I will believe.  The key point is that I don’t disbelieve, I’m just on the fence until sufficient evidence warrants which way I go.  You are kind of in the “Theist” equivalent side where you fully believe, where you believe you have sufficient evidence but mostly based on faith in some traits rather than evidence.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Once there is sufficient evidence I will believe.  The key point is that I don’t disbelieve, I’m just on the fence until sufficient evidence warrants which way I go

Very much this. I'm hopeful/optimistic, but my feeling is this appointment was in the pipeline waiting for a trigger to be pulled, minds were already made up it was just around timing. It's a gamble, and we'll see how it plays out.

That said, maybe most appointments are, and there's reason to be hopeful more than in quite a lot of the recent past appointments. Dean Smith was similar, but before him, much less so (under different ownership, to be fair).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Bit like when Bruce left and those who were constantly defending the man, couldn't wait to jump in on Smith. 

Luckily most fans won't be like that. Gerrard will get a lot support and backing from the majority. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Well we are not a newly promoted side in complete rebuild anymore thankfully so as you say the expectations and demands will be higher. As they showed by letting Smith go.

Exactly. If Smith was sacked because it wasn't good enough then surely that would apply to Gerrard as well. 

Â