Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I'm just relaxed about the new guy and who comes with him for now. I'm not so sure Gerrard will be or won't be any better than what Smith were for us. Us fans would be crazy to grow a mouth before anything as even been done by Gerrard and hype him up to much that if he fails we've just made the guy look ten times or more worse.

Let's give him the chance to works his magic, give him some space to get his work right and support then when his work hopefully pays off properly for us fans to view and enjoy at its fullest.

53 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Once again the cringe factor is off the scale. I get the new manager buzz, I really do and I'm fairly confident he could be a success, but please, people need to stop creaming themselves. 

A bit of " parliamentary procedure " would be nice.

I think the boredom of the international break and all the hype and PR that has come with the appointment has allowed people to move very quickly through the stages of not considering him to be good enough for the job to now thinking we are lucky to have him. All without a ball being kicked. Maybe we are lucky, time will tell. We could all come crashing down to Earth with a bump if they play really badly on Saturday.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We will see against Brighton if this guy can do it without Grealish or not. 

Screenshot-20211118-091909.png

This was great wasn't it.

If we lose, is Gerrard in trouble because we won't be signing anyone as good as Grealish ever again?

Garbage, as per.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

Tad unfair to the team that finished 6th for x years in a row in the 2000's

The rot set in after the 2000 cup final. We lost to Chelsea and the gap between us and the top teams has never narrowed. True we had 3 good years under MON but the money we spent was not sustainable and we have done nothing since. Between 90 and 00 we came 2nd twice, a 4th and a 5th, 2 league cup wins and 1 fa cup final.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Gerrard might have two days training with the international players, if he's lucky.

Time and perspective, please.

I wouldn't waste your time there, Zhan. 

Anyone who actually knows anything about the game will agree with you. 

In any case, the first few games of a manager aren't really indicative of anything - success can be attributed to the 'dead cat bounce', whereas failure can just be because things haven't settled yet. 

• Thanks 1

I agree that we can't judge SG based on the first game regardless of the result. But we should be able to get a little direction of what SG is trying to do from the team selection and how we try to play. I expect and hope that we will notice something different from previous games. The positions Buendia, Ings and Watkins take up will be telling and also how he sets up the midfield. It will be surprising if we don't start 4-3-3 with our 'regular' back 4

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Realistically he can’t be judged until he’s had at least 2 pre seasons. The quickest aspect he can change is the mindset of players.

We would be into the 23/24 season by then. We will be able to judge SG very well by the end of this season. Then after a proper transfer window and a preseason we will know what SG is about this time next year. 

49 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Screenshot-20211118-091909.png

This was great wasn't it.

If we lose, is Gerrard in trouble because we won't be signing anyone as good as Grealish ever again?

Garbage, as per.

Yeah just a really odd comment, especially considering Gerrard has never managed Grealish.

On 15/11/2021 at 19:01, Zatman said:

Because people expected a proven winner and Gerrard is not that, one trophy in 9 at Old Firm is poor form. Its not Gerrard fault but people were expecting a proven quality successor to Smith 

One trophy in nine does not tell the story though does it? He has come to Rangers when they are a million miles behind Celtic and not only caught them up but gone past them. In doing so, he has cut the number of goals conceded from 50+ to 13 I believe. He has also been competitive in the Europa League.

I do accept that he is not a Klopp or Tuchel, but there are very few managers around like that who guarantee success. People rave about Pep but he has always had the best side - from a Barca with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets etc. (I think is could win a CL with those players), to a strong Bayern, to the already strong Citeh with £'ms to spend, so I'm not sure even he would bring guaranteed success to the Villa?

Personally I wanted Potter because I like him, he plays good football and he is from the area - but that is also why I wanted Deano and that didn't end up working out so well when his weaknesses became apparent. Gerard is a born winner and will command instant respect/set standards.  He clearly knows how to organise a team and has a playing philosophy that should suit/play to our strengths.

As for his links to Plop, any manager that does well with Villa/can take us to the next level would get linked to a big 6 club or a European giant and money/ambition talks (as we have seen with Jack - although his move appears to be driven by a desire for Manc totty!😜), But Gerard would probably only leave for Plop and that requires them having a gap so maybe even more secure than most?

I for one am excited about his appointment!

• Like 3

Â