Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the Dean smith memories video on the website and I’m not going to lie. It was emotional to watch. It’s been a crazy 3 years! 

It’s really sad to see him go but really looking forward to the next journey for the club with Gerrard in charge.

Got a link? Or was it the same one that was shared on socials.

Is what it is. I’m massively underwhelmed, not particularly keen on him as a person, unproven somewhat as a manager. It’s made me a little bit more disinterested than I was before if I’m honest but that’s maybe more to do with modern football as a whole though. Hope he does well. We are a potential stepping stone but if he uses us for progressing himself and succeeds then I guess it’s good for us also. Ultimately, it’s a weird one. Can’t say I’m excited though.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I was just thinking the same. 

Will be interesting to see how much those issues annoy people now because it's a different manager. 

It will still annoy the hell outta me I can tell you that. Put up with Southgate and Smith doing it for long enough, can't take someone else 😂

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

What makes you think Rangers overachieved in Europe?  

Well, for a start, if the standard of the Scottish PL is actually League 2 as I’m lead to believe, it must be incredibly difficult to raise your game for the likes of Porto, Galatasaray, Benfica etc. Considering our own struggles in Europe over the years, their form looks impressive. And it seems that most Rangers supporters and neutral parties agree. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Is what it is. I’m massively underwhelmed, not particularly keen on him as a person, unproven somewhat as a manager. It’s made me a little bit more disinterested than I was before if I’m honest but that’s maybe more to do with modern football as a whole though. Hope he does well. We are a potential stepping stone but if he uses us for progressing himself and succeeds then I guess it’s good for us also. Ultimately, it’s a weird one. Can’t say I’m excited though.

Strange isn’t it, after the standard of football served up over the last 12 months they could have appointed the skeletal remains of Jeffrey Dahmer and I would have been more interested than I have been. Liking the manager as a person hasn’t been enough to fill me with excitement, sadly, so I’m enthusiastic about the change. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I'd say betting your house in a game of blackjack is pretty interesting.

I think this is what it is!

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Thank you for sharing and taking the time….

Thoughts/reasons on why he only one 1 out of 9 trophies?

Going a season unbeaten and only conceding 13 goals is impressive but his record isn’t great when compared to past Rangers & Celtic managers is it? Also, weren’t Celtic a bit of a shambles during his tenure so he didn’t have genuine competition or wasn’t really pushed as past managers were?

I don’t know, sorry I don’t follow the SPL closely.

Thanks again.

I think, as @GazRFC mentioned earlier, Rangers were a basket case when he took over, 25 points behind Celtic. He spent the first couple of years to at least make them competitive. I’d say he was disappointed himself to not pick up a couple of cups but hey ho no one’s perfect. 

I’d say Dean was in a similar position when he came here, certainly with the squad he was left with by Bruce and to a large extent because of the actions of the clowns who had previously owned us. Dean got us up from an incredibly difficult position and was probably a victim of his own success. Another year in the Championship to rebuild, hopefully come up automatically with loads of momentum and with a squad that was much more settled would have perhaps been better. He had to build an entire team in the hardest league in the world.

He leaves us not great but in a much better position to move forwards. SG will inherit a decent squad that probably needs fresh eyes and a new voice. It is far from perfect nor a shambles. It could go wrong but I have a feeling we are back on the up again.  Exciting times ahead. 

• Like 1

Just watched Make Us Dream on Prime. Makes you appreciate what a phenomenon he was as a player. His leadership and never say die attitude is exactly what our squad needs right now. Hopefully he realises the desperate need for a new left back and the void in centre mid. You’d like to think he’d immediately address the latter in January, especially being arguably one of the greatest central midfielders of his generation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s made me a little bit more disinterested than I was before if I’m honest but that’s maybe more to do with modern football as a whole though.

To have been supporting through an era with Villa fans as captain and manager is really unique in the modern era at this level (or at least highly unusual if there are stattos out there who know of others). We should look back on that as a truly fantastic time to be a Villa fan. Back to the more usual process certainly feels there is that extra something missing...but new adopted heroes will come along, whether that is from this bunch or the next.

• Like 1

When his name was first mentioned I was underwhelmed, but now he is our new manager I am looking forward to see what he can do.

Smith, who I liked very much as one of our own, was taking us nowhere and had to be replaced.

Gerrard, who has no connection with the club, will not be given the same latitude as Smith, and if it looks like we are not be progressing under him he will be gone.

Got to say, the high profile and friendly pundits is very nice.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good questions for our Rangers guest. I suspect pretty much every team they went up against bar Celtic and maybe Hearts would park the bus so wouldn’t be easy. But then the standard is also very low too. 

I just can’t share in the excitement or confidence and don’t want to share in the pessimism/negativity. There just isn’t enough to go off of, the only reasonable stance I can see to take is “wait and see”.

• Like 2

A real gamble by Villa. Won one competition up here ( in a 2 team League) and for that got lucky as Celtic went through a bit of a turbulent time surrounding Lennon etc.  See he is bringing his coaching staff down to Villa Park ( think that must include all the Scottish refs he had in his back pocket for a couple of years  🤣) and I hope he doesn't want any players, as I can only think of possibly Ryan Kent who would survive in the Premier League and do a half decent job.  One thing for certain, Stevie, is that with VAR you will get some penalties awarded against your team.🙂.

From the Villa perspective I hope he does well but he is certainly going to find the standard and more importantly the expectation more intense that anything he has faced in his managerial career so far.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

A real gamble by Villa. Won one competition up here ( in a 2 team League) and for that got lucky as Celtic went through a bit of a turbulent time surrounding Lennon etc.  See he is bringing his coaching staff down to Villa Park ( think that must include all the Scottish refs he had in his back pocket for a couple of years  🤣) and I hope he doesn't want any players, as I can only think of possibly Ryan Kent who would survive in the Premier League and do a half decent job.  One thing for certain, Stevie, is that with VAR you will get some penalties awarded against your team.🙂.

From the Villa perspective I hope he does well but he is certainly going to find the standard and more importantly the expectation more intense that anything he has faced in his managerial career so far.

Think he’ll get the best out of McGinn? Or deem him not up to standards?

• Like 1

Â