The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Whoever is our new manager is under considerable pressure to get results/wins from the off… we need to get points on the board asap. Whoever it is will get support, at least initially. We’re in a precarious position right now and he needs to hit the ground running.

My concern is that we will still be dealing with injuries, lack of fitness/form, late arrivals from internationals etc. the same issues Dean had to face…

We desperately need the new manager bounce and hopefully progress from there.

I’ve expressed my opinions on Gerrard, no point repeating them. All I really care about now is getting wins and producing positive performances.

As fans, we have no control over anything other than providing support and roaring on our players. Just have to accept the decisions made by the ownership of the club, regardless of our opinions.

I just want us to start winning again.

And what are your thoughts i havent been following?

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

In which case even worse. 

Why are academy players knocking around VP on a Weds morning?

You clearly have a problem do you know this person no does this person have contacts yes does he have an agent yes so carry on with the negative comments because you seem the only one that is .

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I think like a lot of us I am on the fence with Gerrard. I have zero issues with some of the things I have seen mentioned on here like his Liverpool links and questioning his character. My only doubts stem from whether he is ready for a job as big as this and if he is ready for the step up and I don't think that can be answered until he has been here for a few months.

I'd have loved someone proven at taking clubs into Europe in one of the tougher leagues, who had managed at the top. I just don't know how realistic it was for us to get one of the current best managers so we have taken a gamble on someone who is hopefully going to be the next big thing. Maybe that reflects where we are as a club. In many ways though I prefer that to us having gone for someone who has been at or close to the top but is now on his way down. 

If Gerrard fails it won't be for the lack of trying. I take it as a given that he'll give this his all. He has as much to lose here as we do, perhaps more in some ways because if he fails here it has been shown by numerous past Villa managers to be almost an impossible task to come back and go on to anything like as big a club as Villa never mind better. 

I suppose therefore both parties are taking a chance and have a lot to lose. For that reason I am sure both sides will do all they can to ensure this is a success so I'd expect him to be heavily backed. 

It is going to be an interesting time at Villa and this could go either way but hopefully once he is appointed, despite any reservations, we'll all get 100% behind him and give him a fair chance. 

Superb post Mark!

1 minute ago, ada86 said:

You clearly have a problem do you know this person no does this person have contacts yes does he have an agent yes so carry on with the negative comments because you seem the only one that is .

Yeah, I dont think you are reading the room correctly.

OK, just so I'm clear, and haven't missed anything.... let's start again, with your secret information what is it you think you have told us?

Yeah I’m one the same boat as many here. Not sure about him as a manager but still optimistic and I’ll back him if he’s appointed.

I agree that he has probably as much to lose as we have If not more given our history with managers.

Just now, rubberman said:

Well, if nothing else, the Jan window (and probably summer) will be super exciting again as I'd expect SG to get a bit of backing for new players.

The international break is proving to be the most interesting one for a long time too

4 minutes ago, ada86 said:

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Yeah, I dont think you are reading the room correctly.

OK, just so I'm clear, and haven't missed anything.... let's start again, with your secret information what is it you think you have told us?

@ada86 Not having a go buddy you seem well intentioned, but I am staggeringly confused by your posts and would concur with others in saying you haven't actually relayed any information to us of any substance at all. 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats true, there will always be examples, like this, but Roy Keane had a better win ratio at Sunderland, than Dean did with us.......He also had a better win ratio than David Moyes when he was at Sunderland, 18% and his winning ratio is now a healthy 48%.....There are many factors involved in football managers perfomances.

I don't think for one second our owners are the sort to preside over reckless decisions.

If you are upset, at Losing Dean, that is perfectly understandable and without doubt, a popular, feeling amongst Villa Supporters as a whole....and quite frankly a welcome response to a good guy and quite contrary to throwing vegetables at them, which I glad we never resorted to this time.

Personally, I thought the bigger risk was continuing with a losing run, with no sign of a halt....fortunately we have owners who take responsibility for such things and don't get quite so wrapped up in the emotion of personalities, like we do.

I thinks its fair to say, if the next manager presides over 11 wins in a calendar year, allied to such poor performances, he too will experience the same fate.

Well it looks to me like the club want a big name rather than someone with a proven track record. 

You're delighted because "he's a born winner' (incidentally, he won feck all), leads me to think you are of the same mindset. 

With all due respect to his unbeaten season from 3 in Scotland. He would not be near the Villa job if he wasn't a 'big name' 

For that reason its a huge risk