The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Henry wasn't a like for like comparison, just to illustrate that the name is a big attraction. The fact that Henry was so inexperienced drives the point home more.

I'm just wary of falling into the trap of being enamoured by young, promising coaches, especially those who come from a significantly weaker league than ours and want to highlight that at this point in our progress, I don't think we can put too much stock in potential. Maybe I'm still scarred by Paul Lambert, I don't know :P 

One of the things for me is that the team I follow in Sweden(Malmö FF) are on the same level as Rangers and the league is close. But I don't see any sugestions of us appointing Malmö manager Jon Dahl tomasson. Malmö did beat Rangers in CL too so success in Europe is something Tomasson have.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

image.png.bcdb287db8bc73b4c017afcec1aa0818.png

It was every bit as bad as the Keane Haaland tackle.

In fairness, there was a bloke stood ten feet from it who said George Boateng had made a meal of it and was a "good actor".

We had him as manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Sorry, how much better does he need to do to upgrade from adequate???

Ended Celtics dominance, stopped the rot at Rangers, 40 game unbeaten streak, unbeaten 102 point season (1st title in forever), beat a number of quality teams in Europe on a relatively minor budget... adequate...

And it wasn’t just the results that were impressive. Rangers had a real identity about them. A clear style of play. As I said earlier, a mirror image of how Liverpool set up and play with less talented players obviously. What struck me about Rangers was how hard they worked to get the ball back once it had been lost. Both in Scotland and in Europe. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Rangers were a shambles when Gerrard took over, to try and say he hasn't done well with them is just silly and very naive to think just anyone could have done the job he's done, and again when he went there they weren't the Rangers of old he had to get them back to that status. Also I'm guessing there's a very strong possibility that most of the people accusing the Scottish Premier League of being League Two standard or whatever have never watched a Scottish Premier League, and probably not a League Two game.

He's done a good job in Scotland, he's been impressive that's just the way it is, whether that's enough for him to get the Villa job I don't know, but this idea that anyone could have achieved what he has with Rangers comes across as ignorance and misplaced arrogance.

And I'm not particularly for him.

I do watch Scottish Football (retired & bored) & it really is quite poor overall.  It is a 12 team league with 8 of those teams being not very good so Rangers & Celtic get to play those 8 teams at least three times. Definitely lower Championship or upper League One level. Gerrard did well to win the league but it really isn't that great an achievement . Definitely not enough to warrant a Premier League job.

He could prove me wrong but it's a gamble regardless.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m bored of arguing about Gerrard now. If it’s him all good, I’m behind him. If it isn’t then so be it. 

Hope we appoint somebody soon.

Yeah I’m getting to the stage I’m bored and over discussing it (although I’m pretty sure I will continue).  Whoever it is I will back despite my feelings on whoever it is (good or bad) before they are appointed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mr Teale backing the suggestion of Gerrard.

However, what I REALLY wanted to do was post what Shaun retweeted just after that tweet. Seemingly endorsing an opinion of Danny Murphy with a word that gives us his view in no uncertain terms.

That is superb. Take a bow Shaun Teale 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its helps when saying that it is a bad appointment in and to try and justify that Dean shouldn't have been sacked

Not true, some people have been conned that we sacked the previous manager for an upgrade and then end up with somebody not as good

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smg said:

How long before the Gerrard out gang start up on here ? Anything short of European qualifying form in the first 6 matches and the knives will be out and we will back to where we were last week with Dean on here. I actually think it is impossible to find a manager who would be universally accepted. Ten Haag is the dream of many, but it’s only that, we are not that attractive to foreign managers having a run in the Champions League, despite the fact we won in 1982. Whoever it is there is going to be disappointment.

Whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing in the eyes of a childish few, because they are not Dean Smith.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Can someone summarise the last 150 pages please? I must admit I feel a bit disconnected with the club at the minute so haven't read anything in great detail for a couple of days or so

Are we anywhere near appointing anyone? Any strong rumours? I see Gerrard was mentioned on the BBC?

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mr Teale backing the suggestion of Gerrard.

However, what I REALLY wanted to do was post what Shaun retweeted just after that tweet. Seemingly endorsing an opinion of Danny Murphy with a word that gives us his view in no uncertain terms.

Interesting if the level of negativity has reached Teal. Then you can bet Purslow and Gerrard himself are aware of it.

19 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

One of the things for me is that the team I follow in Sweden(Malmö FF) are on the same level as Rangers and the league is close. But I don't see any sugestions of us appointing Malmö manager Jon Dahl tomasson. Malmö did beat Rangers in CL too so success in Europe is something Tomasson have.

With 10 men 😉