The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, joshharris12 said:

Where’s the ambition 

we're signing him in January

It was meant as a joke....but I also meant it.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Of course it's preparation.  You're suggesting that managers cannot progress which is absolutely crazy.  The same way that Dean Smith managed us in the Championship, and then in the Premier League.  By the way, who are the high profile players that you're concerned about at Villa?

No I'm not and I've absolutely no idea how you've come to that conclusion. 

Smith had it all to learn when he came to the premier league and it's the reason we went on ropey spells. Why on earth would we get someone in who hasn't been through this before and we have no idea how they'll react to it, if we have the option? We may as well have stuck with Smith rather than take a massive gamble.

• Like 1

Just looked on the rangers forum. You’d think villa were some nothing club the way some of them go on. Why would he turn an ambitious Newcastle down to go to relegation fodder villa. Do they know Newcastle are bottom 3 and have been relegated more than us in recent times. Yes they now have lots of money but we also have a fair few quid ourselves and I’d say we are pretty ambitious with the new owners . Rangers have only won most of their trophies because they play in a nothing league and they have been able to grow into a huge club because they play in a nothing league. They are shitting themselves . 

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Just looked on the rangers forum. You’d think villa were some nothing club the way some of them go on. Why would he turn an ambitious Newcastle down to go to relegation fodder villa. Do they know Newcastle are bottom 3 and have been relegated more than us in recent times. Yes they now have lots of money but we also have a fair few quid ourselves and I’d say we are pretty ambitious with the new owners . Rangers have only won most of their trophies because they play in a nothing league and they have been able to grow into a huge club because they play in a nothing league. They are shitting themselves . 

I'm sure the Celtic fans said similar stuff about Leicester 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, John said:

I see where you are coming from and the players do have a lot more power now, than they did back then. I like to think that the best managers (Ron, Clough, Shanks & Ramsey), like the best players (Moore, Charlton, Greaves & Best) would be able to adapt to the times they were playing/managing in, but without a Tardis, we are unlikely to really know for sure one way or the other. 

Spot on John.

Its their makeup that made them what they were.....and that is timeless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No I'm not and I've absolutely no idea how you've come to that conclusion. 

Smith had it all to learn when he came to the premier league and it's the reason we went on ropey spells. Why on earth would we get someone in who hasn't been through this before and we have no idea how they'll react to it, if we have the option? We may as well have stuck with Smith rather than take a massive gamble.

I agree mate, but there’s going to be risk involved with every manager. We just have to trust the board. I still can’t understand your reasoning for bad challenges Gerrard made as a player getting in the way of an appointment though. If you want a nice guy in charge fair enough, I just want us to win football matches 

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

Meanwhile...

Zidane goes from a B-team...

Pep goes from a B-team...

Allegri from a small club...

The fascination with experience is an unproductive constraint.

It is just consistency with me.  On one hand people were moaning that Smith didn't have the right experience and now people are happy to see a person in with literally half his managerial experience to replace him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If Mourinho, Wenger, and Van Gaal all struggled in the PL in recent years, then surely the old-fashioned English managers from the 70s, 80s and 90s would too?

Bear in mind all those names managed squads that were largely from the UK and Ireland, playing with different backpass rules, with a heavier ball on slower pitches, with parts of the game resembling a martial art. Your tactics are carefully reviewed by video analysts - the opposition know exactly what your individual player weaknesses are before they've ever played you. You have to rotate the squad because the players are expected to cover more distance, faster, and are flying all over the world on international duty.

Saunders and the others were all brilliant managers and leaders of men, and no doubt those leadership qualities would still shine through, but the game has changed, and not everything translates. Handling a multinational squad of mercenaries playing possession football with referees happy to book you for a first minute reducer. It's a different sport.

Yes, the game has changed a lot, but there are a few managers today (see below) that I feel are throwbacks to the past and there may be a few from the past, that might just become effective today as well. 

image.jpeg.9abfb49fd7b6102fbb0cae2a8b3a6b6a.jpeg image.jpeg.435ad211a446db74c002dcf706794853.jpeg 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Just to clarify. 

Being experienced doesn't equal being good. 

Steve Bruce has 1000 games. 

so has Neil Warnock.....I agree, its overrated imo.....but I wouldn't totally dismiss some experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I agree mate, but there’s going to be risk involved with every manager. We just have to trust the board. I still can’t understand your reasoning for bad challenges Gerrard made as a player getting in the way of an appointment though. If you want a nice guy in charge fair enough, I just want us to win football matches 

Because it goes hand in hand with a host or other shit, like assaulting a DJ for no bloody reason. Not a good character.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is just consistency with me.  On one hand people were moaning that Smith didn't have the right experience and now people are happy to see a person in with literally half his managerial experience to replace him.

Experience doesn't just relate to time served.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure if posted already, but got alot of time for Simon Jordan.

Seems he's always got more ambition for us, than some of us. lol

This is Re Gerrard

I too find him an interesting character.....

SG might not be, but his makeup, will soon have him at this level...I think it would be a good fit.

• Like 1