The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

If I'm honest Gerrard intrigues me even if it doesn't excite me. I'll be disappointed more to do with the fact that I believe there is better out there. Would it be the end of the world, no. If he's shit he can be gone with no care or emotion. IMO Manager positions are temporary anyway these days. Get 3-5 years and you've done extremely well. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

I don't see how it's hard to argue that.  Would a manager who won league 1 be touted as having achieved more than Dean because that's really what we are arguing. The SPL outside of the top 2 would get smoked by even the lowliest team in the MLS. What Gerard has done just isn't impressive, in the slightest. 

Neither was what Smith had done, that was the point.

Well, Lucien Favre currently leading the poll by some margin. Whilst I'm keen, the way his last season went at Dortmund is a massive concern. With the quality of players he had, most pundits seemed to point to a poor mentality amongst the players that eventually resulted in him getting the sack.
Anywhoo, here's another vid:

I think part of my hesitation is partly because he’s just so ingrained as being Liverpool, I just think I’d find it would look weird him being here. That’s not just a Gerrard or Liverpool thing, I think that would be true of a Lampard or a Rooney. 

Admittedly I don’t find the same oddness with Gerrard at Rangers, which is probably due to different league, different country. He’s not in competition with the club associated with him. Plus I obviously don’t keep up to date with Scottish football like I do with Villa.

Remember when Giggs was linked to the Everton job? It’s like that. Even the suggestion seems kinda amiss.

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The comment I was responding to was about "achievement" not playing style or player improvement, out smarting Bruce is a low lever achievement!

Once again, not saying Gerrard is the right appointment but it is very hard to argue Smith had achieved more than Gerrard had prior to coming to Villa.

But Smith joined when we were mid-table in the Championship, and then proved himself. He was being judged against completely different parameters when we brought him in.

Right now (which is when the comparison matters), Smith is the more accomplished coach. Gaining promotion from the Championship and staying in the Premier League is a bigger achievement than winning 1 SPL with Rangers or Celtic.

If Gerrard comes here now, he will be up against really talented top-flight managers, week in, week out (and Solsjkaer). It’s a big challenge. He’ll have an injury crisis, international football, and so on to deal with, and a dressing room that has a lot of loyalty towards his predecessor.

Having said all this, I vaguely remember we were heavily linked by all the ITK journos with Henry, so maybe this is all smoke and mirrors, and Purslow’s deep affection for Gerrard is just a media narrative, and we’re about to bring in a much more experienced manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the hate for Gerrard. Great player, model Pro, stuck with his club, gave his all for his country...

I understand querying his management credentials but not his character. Possibly missed something though.

• Like 1

Very skeptical about Gerrard's managerial ability, but if he comes in he'll get a clean slate with me just like anyone would. I thought Vieira was going to struggle with Crystal Palace and he's done a very good job there thus far. Whomever comes in needs to be given time to turn things around.

• Like 1

The only way I'll be remotely ok with us appointing Gerrard is if he brings in his own backroom team. Even then I feel like it's a risk and Purslow is using Gerrard to try to enhance the Aston Villa brand.

If we end up with a team of Gerrard, McAllister, Danks, Cutler and MacPhee I think we're screwed.

Huge decision for the football club.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

But Smith joined when we were mid-table in the Championship, and then proved himself. He was being judged against completely different parameters when we brought him in.

Right now (which is when the comparison matters), Smith is the more accomplished coach. Gaining promotion from the Championship and staying in the Premier League is a bigger achievement than winning 1 SPL with Rangers or Celtic.

If Gerrard comes here now, he will be up against really talented top-flight managers, week in, week out (and Solsjkaer). It’s a big challenge. He’ll have an injury crisis, international football, and so on to deal with, and a dressing room that has a lot of loyalty towards his predecessor.

Having said all this, I vaguely remember we were heavily linked by all the ITK journos with Henry, so maybe this is all smoke and mirrors, and Purslow’s deep affection for Gerrard is just a media narrative, and we’re about to bring in a much more experienced manager.

Again, I’m not advocating Gerrard.

As for Smith v Gerrard, the point of comparison was about prior achievements. Comparing now is entirely differnet.

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I don't get the hate for Gerrard. Great player, model Pro, stuck with his club, gave his all for his country...

I understand querying his management credentials but not his character. Possibly missed something though.

I think it’s only a minority who are questioning his character. Most including myself are questioning his experience and credentials.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

If I'm honest Gerrard intrigues me even if it doesn't excite me. I'll be disappointed more to do with the fact that I believe there is better out there. Would it be the end of the world, no. If he's shit he can be gone with no care or emotion. IMO Manager positions are temporary anyway these days. Get 3-5 years and you've done extremely well. 

The average tenure for a PL manager is 1.8 years I believe. So 3 to 5 years would probably mean whoever it is has been a success. On the Gerrard debate, I understand why people question the value of any achievements in the SPL but being successful in Scotland doesn’t make him a bad manager. It may not be sufficient proof that he’s good but it certainly isn’t proof that he’s bad. The irrational dislike for the bloke is nothing to do with his ability, which is at worst unproven.

Finishing 15th and 16th as Brighton manager, for some reason appears to be excellent credentials to take us to the next level. I’m not denying that Brighton have play attractive football, but scoring goals seems to be a problem. Purslow releasing Dean for not showing continuous progression is hardly likely to view Potter’s record at Brighton as a reason to employ him. I don’t think he’s in the frame but he seems popular in here  

Whoever we get will be a risk, it always is but surely getting behind the bloke for a reasonable amount of time until we find out, is the only sensible way forward. How many people would have been overjoyed with Rogers when he was at Celtic? Moyes after he left Man U? All those years ago, had social media existed, I can only imagine the arrival of Ron Saunders from Man City  being greeted as pretty underwhelming. Let’s see eh, we don’t even know who it is yet. We might even get Klopp and leave Liverpool with a clear run to get Stevie G themselves. Although I’m not sure if I’d want the smiling idiot, can’t stand the bloke.  🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

These are all good answers and I understand the 'inexperienced' tag, but I am looking for somebody who is putting their neck on the block in saying Gerrard WILL be a terrible coach to explain to me what evidence they have for that? All I see is success. 

I'm not advocating for him or suggesting it will definitely transfer, I just don't understand the visceral reaction. 

I don't know if he'll be terrible, but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he'll even be decent in the PL. It doesn't fill you with confidence does it? He can just as easily relegate us as he can get us into Europe (probably easier), that's how much of a crapshoot getting someone from that league is. And it's not even line he did a clean sweep. He won 1 trophy. You could put Tim Sherwood in charge of Rangers or Celtic and I wouldn't put money on him failing to achieve that. 

And that's without mentioning the fact that we've just gotten rid of a manager who can clearly hack it in this league for what is essentially a massive gamble. I'd be very disheartened if this is how it plays out, but I'll be right behind him.

• Like 2