The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

If were after a Young manager ......what about our very own - Ashley Young ?

Won every honour in the game. Well respected, got an eye for a player and likes to play attacking football.  

Can't believe hes not been suggested. 

or Ian Bowyer?

If we're after a tall manager Peter Crouch knows the club. Maybe he fancies a crack at management? 

He could do some podcasts too.  Maybe get that Maya Jama in as assistant.  Phwoar. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am very much influenced by win ratio's......and Sean's is pretty low, but his positivity and effervescence, does impress me....He is a driver.

To stay in this league with his budget, is a minor miracle and to think Westwood and Lowton, 2 of our rejects, he has made a fist of things...and so have they.

Sean has a way, and it does have smacks of West Ham's attributes.......but I wouldn't be suicidal, if he took the job.

I think he knows what type of players should be where and what they have to do, part of the battle.

would i want to be in the trenches with sean.....sure.

I can't believe how low we are sinking with these names , I just hope Purslow pulls one put of hat and puts us all out of our misery, quickly .

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think we’ve got anyone lined up. But I do think we had a shortlist of managers that are interested in the job before Smith was sacked:

The next week or so will be the process of working out the best one and offering them the job.

So the question is where would the interviews take place? We need someone that has nothing better with their time to hang around there and report back to us. 

What does lined up mean in practical terms  ?

What does "had a shortlist " mean in practical terms ?

to me lined up - means we have someone who has informally agreed to take the job ?  (don't think we have that)

a shortlist probably like most on here Puslow looks at the results and thinks "that Moyes fella is doing ok"  , "You know that potter looks a decent manager"  etc - its doesn't mean anything. When he gave DS the news he probably had a shortlist of replacements in mind - thats easy - the practicalities of making an approach, making an offer are significant obstacles. So really saying they have a shortlist means close to F all imo.

Just now, tinker said:

I can't believe how low we are sinking with these names , I just hope Purslow pulls one put of hat and puts us all out of our misery, quickly .

He'll sort it.

I have my season tickets (money)invested in this club.....they have a little bit more.

it'll be fine.

• Like 1

Just now, tinker said:

That'll be because the majority of people, myself included, don't actually know a lot about football outside of B6. Or at best the Premier League.

I could suggest whomever is the manager of some random German team and people would instantly brush past it, but pick up on the name Sean Dyche. 

It doesn't really mean anything fella. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If we're after a tall manager Peter Crouch knows the club. Maybe he fancies a crack at management? 

He could do some podcasts too.  Maybe get that Maya Jama in as assistant.  Phwoar. 

hmmmm - that would be a tall order - I hear he is short odds though ! 

1 hour ago, dukes said:

We've lost more Premier League games in 2021 than anyone else.

Our form before the first lockdown was woeful, and many were calling for change then. Yes, we had a good first half of last season, but let me repeat we've lost 18 league games in 2021.

I understand that taken on it's own the 5 losses on the bounce don't seem like reason enough to sack him, but look at t he results throughout his tenure in the Premier League and given the money spent it's just not good enough.

I would liken it to when Ron Atkinson got sacked in 1994, which happened at a similar period in the season having won the league cup the season before (after which his players seemed to have their minds elsewhere) and had finished 2nd in the league the season before that.

Context is very important. Not that it should be the default excuse but the prior to lockdown excuse doesn't really hold up considering we were a Championship squad scrapping it out to remain the PL (Which everyone knew was inevitable). And then a BIG part of the reason we were so bad in the first half of 2021 was due to being a Grealish team playing without Grealish. He missed a dozen games in that part of the year which coincided with our worst stretch of games. And the money spent excuse is an odd one considering we went; Championship to 17th to 11th. Seemed like pretty good progress considering the money spent.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That'll be because the majority of people, myself included, don't actually know a lot about football outside of B6. Or at best the Premier League.

I could suggest whomever is the manager of some random German team and people would instantly brush past it, but pick up on the name Sean Dyche. 

It doesn't really mean anything fella. 

I would think having the job of interviewing candidates, gives Christian Purslow a clear advantage over any of us.

but a bit of punting is fun.

whoever they settle on, will get my backing.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Even if they haven’t got someone lined up they have 2 weeks to sort someone out. What’s the big deal?

As for Purslow I’ve never really liked him. But then he isn’t in the job to be liked so who cares?

The big deal is - I want a new manager - and I want him now .

If we haven't appointed someone by 16:30 - I'm going to saw my leg off. 

• Haha 2