The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That last paragraph sums up why we shouldn’t have sacked Smith…it’s a poor list of names, just poor.

It would be an underwhelming list if we were finishing 6th and looking to push into top 4.

I don't think it's that terrible for a team currently in 16th and two points above relegation zone. I mean most of those managers have finished well up premier league so not like we're appointing guys who have just relegated teams from prem as we've done in the past. Lambert only had one season in premier league when we got him aswell and that appointment was pretty much lauded on here and elsewhere at the time for ambition and vision.

Interesting what had been said if say we'd done this in the summer and appointed Patrick Vieria. Only managed in MLS and his record at Nice was indifferent yet currently I'd say Palace are one of most exciting teams to watch in premier league and have significantly reduced average of starting 11. They have similar feel to what we did last season currently.

I'm sure people would've turned their noses up at him though for many reasons.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Personally couldn’t care less if a manager comes in to use us a stepping stone. They have to have done well for us to get a top job. 

Having said that, I don’t want Gerrard, from what I’ve heard in the past he comes across as a horrible individual. 
Although I’d want him to do well obviously 

Just now, VillaChris said:

It would be an underwhelming list if we were finishing 6th and looking to push into top 4.

I don't think it's that terrible for a team currently in 16th and two points above relegation zone. I mean most of those managers have finished well up premier league so not like we're appointing guys who have just relegated teams from prem as we've done in the past. Lambert only had one season in premier league when we got him aswell and that appointment was pretty much lauded on here and elsewhere at the time for ambition and vision.

I consider Smith better than them so yes the list is underwhelming.  You don’t sack somebody if the person you are likely to bring in is poorer and that list is.  That list has regression written all over it and even trying to look at it optimistic you can’t say any of those match the ambition we have been led to believe we have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Surely Nuno ticks more boxes than anyone else ? 

limited. It worked at Wolves because of the Portuguese links they had. Also had an entire squad and coaching staff from there as well. Very comfortable environment. Don’t understand why it all came to an end to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Despite our current problems we're probably the most attractive proposition for a potential new manager since O'Neill left.

The list of potential candidates on the bookies website doesn't make it seem that way. 

I'm not sure we'll end up with someone who was a clear step up and improvement on Smith. 

I think it will be a gamble. 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting what had been said if say we'd done this in the summer and appointed Patrick Vieria. Only managed in MLS and his record at Nice was indifferent yet currently I'd say Palace are one of most exciting teams to watch in premier league and have significantly reduced average of starting 11. They have similar feel to what we did last season currently.

Calm down he’s only had 11 games! Another flavour of the month manager!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The list of potential candidates on the bookies website doesn't make it seem that way. 

I'm not sure we'll end up with someone who was a clear step up and improvement on Smith. 

I think it will be a gamble. 

The bookies don't have any inside information though - it's all just guesswork. They were completely flat-footed by Houllier, for example, and were with OGS before we got Lambert.

9 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I hope the owners know exactly who they want and are well on their way to appointing them. Whoever it is will give us a very clear idea about the owners intentions going forward.

I hope so too.  However after much consideration they thought Buendia, Ings, and Bailey would replace Grealish but they haven't.

My opinion is that we've bought big players, made promises about playing time that haven't fitted into a decent system.  You've only got to be misfiring a bit in this league to be found out.  What new manager can get our best players into an 11?  Not sure it's possible.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Surely Nuno ticks more boxes than anyone else ? 

He does. He doesnt inspire me but I cant deny he has beat us enough times over the years that I respect him. I would be fine with it, we would stabilize, but it would be a bit underwhelming.

He has taken a smaller club than ours to europe in the premier league before with a lower spend tho. But yeah he isnt exciting. Maybe thats what we need I dunno.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Mistake sacking Smith for me, this will only work if we appoint very quickly. The new man needs to bring coaches with him and they will need to have the gresford money to spend in Jan.

A LOT can go wrong with that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The bookies don't have any inside information though - it's all just guesswork. They were completely flat-footed by Houllier, for example, and were with OGS before we got Lambert.

I guess we'll see who we bring in.