Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

I think we are going down, sacking Smith is about the worst thing we could have done . This season was always going to difficult but we have just confounded issues. 

Just need a Sherwood type appointment and that's the end of us. Not going to torture myself any more with yet more clowns in charge of us. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think we are going down, sacking Smith is about the worst thing we could have done . This season was always going to difficult but we have just confounded issues. 

Just need a Sherwood type appointment and that's the end of us. Not going to torture myself any more with yet more clowns in charge of us. 

Sherwood won 3 of his first 6/7 games. That would get us up into mid table pack.

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Owners had little choice but to pull the trigger, what was the stat? Was it we have lost 18 games in 2021? That's shocking, the owners want to protect their investment and have every right to sack a manager, there is no love lost in the brutal world of foodball, you lose that many games then you are in the brown stuff.. 

Smith was a great bloke but nice does not keep you in a job, results do, our results were gash! 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Sherwood won 3 of his first 6/7 games. That would get us up into mid table pack.

Should have sacked him after 3 games then, he was arguably the worst manager we have ever had. Benteke coming back from injury saved him and us that season. 

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Owners had little choice but to pull the trigger, what was the stat? Was it we have lost 18 games in 2021? That's shocking, the owners want to protect their investment and have every right to sack a manager, there is no love lost in the brutal world of foodball, you lose that many games then you are in the brown stuff.. 

Smith was a great bloke but nice does not keep you in a job, results do, our results were gash! 

13 months ago we beat Liverpool 7-2 , you cant take stats in isolation. Look at a whole season 

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Should have sacked him after 3 games then, he was arguably the worst manager we have ever had. Benteke coming back from injury saved him and us that season. 

Was a disaster in 15/16 no doubt but he gave us some good times in that brief spell with some really good results and performances.

Thought Lambert was worse personally given his reign went on seemingly forever despite months of dreadful games and barely scoring a goal.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Was a disaster in 15/16 no doubt but he gave us some good times in that brief spell with some really good results and performances.

Thought Lambert was worse personally given his reign went on seemingly forever despite months of dreadful games and barely scoring a goal.

Lambert did a good job looking at what happened after he left . He had  no investment, our best players sold and a bomb squad of epic proportions . Just hope the clowns we have in charge checked the history books before they embarked on their latest folly. We will find out when they appointment someone, God help us all. 

20 minutes ago, tinker said:

Sherwood kept us up 

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Lambert did a good job looking at what happened after he left . He had  no investment, our best players sold and a bomb squad of epic proportions . Just hope the clowns we have in charge checked the history books before they embarked on their latest folly. We will find out when they appointment someone, God help us all. 

Last 5 games were a reminder though of what we've been through relatively recently. All those 6-7 game spells when we wouldn't even score a goal under Lambert. Only thing missing was going out of league cup to a league 2 team over two legs.

What a dismal time and not like Lambert has proven us wrong anyway given Stoke went down when he took over in Jan 2018 (they had likes of Zouma and Shaqiri in their squad) and Ipswich just kept going down the league when he went there. Was also pretty poor at Wolves with many of the players Nuno got up as champions.

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

13 months ago we beat Liverpool 7-2 , you cant take stats in isolation. Look at a whole season 

In 2020 we played 32 matches, won 12, drew 7, lost 13, goals for 44, goals against 45 with a return of 43 points.

In 2021 we have so far played 35 matches: won 11, drawn 6, lost 18, goals for 41, goals against 52 with a return of 39 points.

Which part of that data set suggests that things are being taken in isolation?  35 matches is pretty damn close to a whole season.

Smith has made a tremendous contribution but our performances over the last 10 months have been going backwards.  I'm sad and disappointed that he couldn't kick on but them is the facts.

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

Last season was without fans. The football landscape completely changed.

Non pressured environment.

Fans back changes everything. In fact I think we would have gone down had Covid never hit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

In 2020 we played 32 matches, won 12, drew 7, lost 13, goals for 44, goals against 45 with a return of 43 points.

In 2021 we have so far played 35 matches: won 11, drawn 6, lost 18, goals for 41, goals against 52 with a return of 39 points.

Which part of that data set suggests that things are being taken in isolation?  35 matches is pretty damn close to a whole season.

Smith has made a tremendous contribution but our performances over the last 10 months have been going backwards.  I'm sad and disappointed that he couldn't kick on but them is the facts.

We’ve just lost 5 matches in a row. Take it back to after the Man United game and your 2021 stats read played 30 matches: won 11 drawn 6, lost 13 - near identical to 2020.

Smith has been sacked for his form over the last 5 matches. I think it’s not absurd to suggest that, given we’ve been unable to field two centre midfielders at times in this 5 game run, he may have been able to turn this form around if he was able to play anything close to his first eleven.

59 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

We’ve just lost 5 matches in a row. Take it back to after the Man United game and your 2021 stats read played 30 matches: won 11 drawn 6, lost 13 - near identical to 2020.

Smith has been sacked for his form over the last 5 matches. I think it’s not absurd to suggest that, given we’ve been unable to field two centre midfielders at times in this 5 game run, he may have been able to turn this form around if he was able to play anything close to his first eleven.

I disagree.  We have had three separate spells in the last 2 seasons where a 5 match bad run has turned into 12/13/14 matches spell where we have picked up fewer than 10 points each time.  Had we not had those previous spells - Dean would have been forgiven a 5 match losing run.  But the way we have played in the last 3 matches shows no improvement from the bad runs in 2019 / 20 or after January last year.  Obviously the last 5 matches have been the final straw.  However, I think the Board have looked at those previous runs and decided that whilst Dean probably wouldn't have got us relegated he has also not shown that the team are improving to the level to which the Board aspire.  Centre midfield has been an issue for the whole of 2021 - the McGinn / Luiz partnership does not work when we are put under pressure.  But Smith should have been making sure that that was a priority last January / over the summer.

As I have said lots of times - he has done brilliantly to turn our club around but over an extended period of time now he hasn't shown that he'll take us any further.  I will remember his tenure for many good reasons and hope we see him at Villa Park again (he'll get a great reception).  I also really wish him well with his next role.  And it has been many managers since I last felt that way.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Sherwood kept us up 

No, Benteke kept us up and Jack Grealish didn’t get us promoted or keep us up because that doesn’t fit the narrative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Christ, how quickly people can turn because a manager got sacked. The board are clowns now are they? Pathetic.

They are doing what they think is the right thing for Aston Villa, Smith was taking us on a downward  spiral. 

• Like 1