Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

do you think 10 points clear of relegation is 'close' ?

Considering we were 11 points above the drop zone at Christmas Day then I think its still too close

Last season we finished 27 points above relegation

Last season was a good achievement, unlucky not to finish top half, but two very big factors played a part in our success, playing in empty stadiums and having Jack Grealish, so whilst we did well, I don't think that that season should be used to gauge this season, and I actually said that before this season started in the expectations thread where I also declared that midtable would be another good season and that was before Grealish was even sold

On 30/07/2021 at 14:21, useless said:

As it stands I think we will be doing very well to match last season's points total regardess of whether Grealish is with us or not. Midtable would represent another good season.

On 05/08/2021 at 22:57, useless said:

As it stands I think we've got a better team than we had last season, but that's balanced out by the fact that the new players will need time to gel, so I don't necessarily think we will do better.

As for this season, the furtherest we've been away from the relegation zone has been thirteen points, but that was after one match day, for the most part since Gerrard came in we've hovered between eight and eleven points clear of the bottom three, so finishing ten points clear wouldn't be a massive deviation from where we've been most of the season since Gerrard came in.

If we finish around twelve or elventh, I wouldn't call that disatrous, maybe underwhelming, but unfortunately there have been mitigating factors, like injuries, having to change manager, losing Grealish when we did. But it's not as if midtable would be a disaster, at least it further establishes us in the league. Would have been very difficult to go from barely surving relegation, to midtable, and then to challenging for Europe in three seasons.

If we could have finished top half I think that would have been a good season as would have been the first time in over ten years, which frankly should be embarrasing for a club like ours, maybe still have an outside chance, but going to be difficult now

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

We could easily finish 15th or 16th now. 

That's a poor finish whatever metric you use.

Look where we were after beating Leeds:

Leeds United 0-3 Aston Villa: Leeds boss Jesse Marsch says players 'chained by pressure' - BBC Sport

15 points clear of Burnley after that game.

More importantly we were 7 points off Wolves with a game in hand and even West Ham were in realistic reach.

Can't even say since then that games v West Ham, Arsenal and Wolves weren't winnable with more belief and the right tactics as Wolves have actually lost 3 games since and West Ham haven't won many.

Very disappointing we'll finish this season some way off 10th now.

• Like 1

Assuming we don't get a single point , Everton have to win 3  from 6 , to go above us  .... if we beat Norwich then they need to win 4 from 6  , assuming they lose to Chelsea that becomes 4 from 5 .. its not impossible but it seems unlikely .

The performance against Spuds was the most undeserved 4-0 in the history of football  , we outplayed them pretty much everywhere apart from the one area that mattered , shots that went in .. its worth considering this amongst the doom that thinks we wont get another point this season  .. we aren't a terrible team , we just don't seem to be having the luck at the moment 

• Like 1

With between 4 or 6 games to go there is 6 points between 9th and 16th. This suggests that most of these sides are of a comparable level. Not good enough to challenge for a European spot, but will not get relegated. We are safely in that group.

Whether we can actually break free of this next season and have a serious challenge for a top 6/7 spot remains to be seen. I  could see us in the future overtake the likes of Wolves and Leicester given our spending power. However Newcastle will be a problem and West Ham have annoyingly turned the corner. So realistically baring a disaster we probably won't get relegated in the next few years but I think it is going to be very hard to actually break into the elite ever again. Probably not the thread for this but we have had numerous chances to do this in a easier footballing landscape in the 90s and 00s and blew it.

• Like 1

It's only a discussion because people are talking about it, that doesn't mean to say there's any realistic chance of it happening, come the end of the season it probably won't even be close. In fact points wise I think we will probably finish closer to eighth than to eighteenth.

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Assuming we don't get a single point , Everton have to win 3  from 6 , to go above us  .... if we beat Norwich then they need to win 4 from 6  , assuming they lose to Chelsea that becomes 4 from 5 .. its not impossible but it seems unlikely .

The performance against Spuds was the most undeserved 4-0 in the history of football  , we outplayed them pretty much everywhere apart from the one area that mattered , shots that went in .. its worth considering this amongst the doom that thinks we wont get another point this season  .. we aren't a terrible team , we just don't seem to be having the luck at the moment 

If we dont get another point then we deserve to go down. That would be one point from 36 I think?

We'd also have lost 7 or 8 straight home games including games against Norwich, Burnley, Palace etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The fact it's even a discussion is completely unacceptable.

I see 3 pts against Norwich a draw of two and no more wins which is pathetic.

You don't think we can get a win in 2 games against Burnley?

4 minutes ago, useless said:

In fact points wise I think we will probably finish closer to eighth than to eighteenth.

If we were to win our game in hand on eighth placed Wolves we would be nine points behind them, nine points ahead of Burnley and eleven points ahead of Everton. So that's not a far fetched scenario at all

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

West Ham have annoyingly turned the corner

that's a very average West Ham side , its just very well drilled and playing Moyes-ball  but  they lose Rice next season  and he will be a big miss for them  ... but , they will probably have £100m to spend as a result  ... wonder if they want to buy Ings, Bailey and Buendia from us  :) 

West Ham aren't that great, over performed and had a great season last season and carried some of that momemtum into the start of this season, but since Gerrard was appointed, or since November 5th, they've only taken three more points than us, but have actually played two more games, which is strange to think about when you consider they have 52 points whilst we have 37, shows the massive difference a good start to the season can make, something we saw with ourselves last season.

The likes of West Ham, Leicester, and Wolves are definitely teams I think we can catch in the coming seasons.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

With between 4 or 6 games to go there is 6 points between 9th and 16th. This suggests that most of these sides are of a comparable level. Not good enough to challenge for a European spot, but will not get relegated. We are safely in that group.

Whether we can actually break free of this next season and have a serious challenge for a top 6/7 spot remains to be seen. I  could see us in the future overtake the likes of Wolves and Leicester given our spending power. However Newcastle will be a problem and West Ham have annoyingly turned the corner. So realistically baring a disaster we probably won't get relegated in the next few years but I think it is going to be very hard to actually break into the elite ever again. Probably not the thread for this but we have had numerous chances to do this in a easier footballing landscape in the 90s and 00s and blew it.

I can easily see both Wolves and West Ham finish below 10th next season which leaves a couple of spots higher up for others. Midtable teams are unpredictable and those two don't have great squads.

We have two games in hand (Norwich and Burnley) on BHA, Southampton and Brentford. 

Newcastle have had a good run but now face Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal as 3 of their last 4 so that's pretty much them done for the season. 

If Saturday was anything to go by, Leicester are 100% focused on their European Semi Final. 

Wolves have Chelsea and Liverpool in the run in and again we have a game on them. 

Lets put this shit to bed on Saturday and absolutely hammer Norwich and bring a feelgood factor back for the trip to the brick munchers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

This thread has been embarrassing for too long and exists purely to indulge some stupid fever dreams for people to get angry about imagined scenarios that weren’t ever in danger of happening. 

It was never going to happen under Smith or Gerrard but the fact that we only have 37 points at this point shows how poor our season has been.  

The fact we are only 8 points above the relegation zone sends a shudder down my spine after years of being close before we did get relegated.  

We shouldn’t be here, that’s not being spoilt that’s just recognition of the money we have spent and the quality we have in our squad.  Yes we have games in hand against a few above except Leicester and Palace but our form is really poor, our football isn’t the best and we should be believing that we should be higher points wise after 32 games.  I always thought this was a consolidation season and we’d get just over 50 points and we may still get close if we won 4 of our six games remaining but this season hasn’t felt very positive at all.

Then when people are talking about catching the likes of West Ham and Wolves in the future, it currently just feels so far from reality of where we are now just hoping to beat relegation teams in the next few weeks.  The two thoughts don’t seem to relate.

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

We have two games in hand (Norwich and Burnley) on BHA, Southampton and Brentford. 

Newcastle have had a good run but now face Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal as 3 of their last 4 so that's pretty much them done for the season. 

If Saturday was anything to go by, Leicester are 100% focused on their European Semi Final. 

Wolves have Chelsea and Liverpool in the run in and again we have a game on them. 

Lets put this shit to bed on Saturday and absolutely hammer Norwich and bring a feelgood factor back for the trip to the brick munchers. 

The Norwich and Burnley games are played in a weekly round of games then our first game in hand is played