Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Why can’t they just be limited as footballers? Could just as likely be mentally weak fans, if you go by the constant mood swings online.

Because they go from world beating performances to looking awful. We leak goals and fall apart, we are mentally fragile and I can’t see that changing. We need stronger characters who are better performers.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Well 3 of the wins came when he abandoned his tactic he tried after Christmas. Since then has been dire. Except 30 minutes vs Spurs we didnt really lay a glove on Arsenal, Watford, Newcastle, West Ham, Wolves and have lost more games in 2022 than we should 

Abandoned his tactic or realised the issue and amended it and we got three straight wins and clean sheets? One of them a 3-0 win and one a 4-0 win. I agree it’s not been great, but there’s been glimpses of what could be 

36 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Abandoned his tactic or realised the issue and amended it and we got three straight wins and clean sheets? One of them a 3-0 win and one a 4-0 win. I agree it’s not been great, but there’s been glimpses of what could be 

Sorry what? He abandoned his tactics we won 3 games in a row with a 9-0 scoreline and then he brought his system back

The guy is either naive or an idiot

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sorry what? He abandoned his tactics we won 3 games in a row with a 9-0 scoreline and then he brought his system back

This is exactly the point i've been making to my daughter! 

He seemed to solve the issues and we went on a good run, then we hit the winter break or whatever it was and he tried to go back to the system which had seen us repeatedly fail. Bizarre quite frankly!

We had a top half finish if not Europe in our sights and that persistence in trying to shoehorn the players into his system has seriously backfired to the point i am dreading each visit to Villa Park at present as another lame defeat is almost certain. The number of defeats this season with the players we have is nothing short of embarrassing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well 3 of the wins came when he abandoned his tactic he tried after Christmas. Since then has been dire. Except 30 minutes vs Spurs we didnt really lay a glove on Arsenal, Watford, Newcastle, West Ham, Wolves and have lost more games in 2022 than we should 

I thought the southampton game was absolutely brilliant.But thats not what you want to hear is it.

Just now, 1974Centenary said:

I thought the southampton game was absolutely brilliant.But thats not what you want to hear is it.

Well thats one of the 3 wins I was talking about. Why would I not want to talk about it? 

We could easily be relegated.

Look at our form. Teams below us have everything to play for we seem to think the seasons over, we dont have the grit to grind out points.

We are tactically naive, opposition figure us out and beat us with ease.

We will lose to Leicester, Norwich and Dean will raise their game and it will be yet another home loss. Liverplop and man ci£y 0 points Burnley will fight for everything I can see us not up for that so home and away 0 points. Palace ...who knows?

Mr Purslow, you can go on about grandiose schemes about updating Villa Park but the elephant in the room is what is happening on the pitch?

Yes we can match spuds for 45 mins but still loose 4 - 0, yet tactically aware Brighton can beat them.

Relegation would be a catastrophic disaster for us

Finishing just above the relegation zone would have to mean the manager has to go, otherwise continuing like we are into next season then we will go down.

As for Gerrard bringing in a load of his old mates to play for us to boost their pensions instead of playing some of our talented youngsters....we have all seen how that turns out back in 2016

Sorry to be pessimistic but we are not going to attract the players we need based on the direction we are heading....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I  think we will end up on around 45 points give or take a point or two 

Another 9 points or 3 wins??

Hats off to you sir I admire your optimism 😊

9 hours ago, Tayls said:

I still think we are going down this season. There’s a reason we have lost the fourth most games. We’re shit. We can’t pick up a surprise win against any one in the top half of the table either. Sign of a struggling team. 

On the other hand we have won 9th= most games so maybe we can be a bit less gloomy. 🙂

10 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Why can’t they just be limited as footballers? Could just as likely be mentally weak fans, if you go by the constant mood swings online.

I don't see how you are mentally weak if you make it to the highest echelons in the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't see how you are mentally weak if you make it to the highest echelons in the game.

Not mentally weak but going missing / being on the beach is definitely a thing

Chelsea and Utd suffer from it let alone us

We have too many players who don't give a ****, their season is over, was exactly the same last year too we finished mid Jan, the difference this year is we have a better squad and more players to give an opportunity to but for whatever reason we're not

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not mentally weak but going missing / being on the beach is definitely a thing

Chelsea and Utd suffer from it let alone us

We have too many players who don't give a ****, their season is over, was exactly the same last year too we finished mid Jan, the difference this year is we have a better squad and more players to give an opportunity to but for whatever reason we're not

Must confess I'm not seeing that. The effort and work rate was there in the first half - maybe even too much - as we couldnt maintain it for the 2nd 45.

3 hours ago, delboy54 said:

We could easily be relegated.

Look at our form. Teams below us have everything to play for we seem to think the seasons over, we dont have the grit to grind out points.

We are tactically naive, opposition figure us out and beat us with ease.

We will lose to Leicester, Norwich and Dean will raise their game and it will be yet another home loss. Liverplop and man ci£y 0 points Burnley will fight for everything I can see us not up for that so home and away 0 points. Palace ...who knows?

Mr Purslow, you can go on about grandiose schemes about updating Villa Park but the elephant in the room is what is happening on the pitch?

Yes we can match spuds for 45 mins but still loose 4 - 0, yet tactically aware Brighton can beat them.

Relegation would be a catastrophic disaster for us

This is a post meant for the Watford forums?

Never heard such sensationalism. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I’ve used the word naive a lot too. Hoping that’s down to inexperience. There will be no excuses after Leicester, after this break we’ve had 

• Like 2

Ok Steero and Jim both optimistic 😊  I wish I was !

Cannot get past the issue is that we are getting to be a lot closer to the trapdoor than we should be and on our current form we are in relegation form.

VTID

Derek

• Like 1