Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Wow, I am not a Gerrard fan but Christ some if the suggestions in here....

Our squad should be comfortably be mid table. We finished 11th last season and yes we lost JG but we have Ings, Buendia and Coutinho.

Questions about how nearly every player looks a pale shadow of themselves with probably the exception of Matty Cash need to be answered by the management team come the end of the season.

I think we will get 4 points out the next two games but Gerrard is not a success so far.

What’s stayed the same since we got promoted? Our Midfield. It’ll be addressed in the summer 

Just now, Steero113 said:

If we beat Leicester, Norwich and Burnley everyone will be back saying "can we make a late push for top 8??" 🤣

That's the hilarious thing about football. We have been up and down all season long. 

That being said, some of the comments in here, especially from a particular poster who's age is reflected in his username, are way WAY over the top and are designed as an attention seeking cry for help. 

We’re 4 points off 10th, no one knows what’s going to happen. This threads worth ignoring till the end of the season 

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We’re 4 points off 10th, no one knows what’s going to happen. This threads worth ignoring till the end of the season 

I just enjoy the drama going back and forth between blind hope when we go on a winning run, to Armageddon when we lose a few 🤣

• Like 1

Whatever the sides of the argument, being 15th at this relatively late stage of the season simply is not good enough, especially not when sides in bottom 3 for large chunks of the season are now rising above.

Can't even really say it's due to not playing this weekend given it was due to be Liverpool at home which in the current state would be a certain defeat.

Simply have to get 4 points off Leicester and Norwich just to breath a tiny bit of positivity as it's all gone very flat very quickly under Gerrard which isn't great going into the summer.

Compare to the feelings around Palace currently. In a SF, getting some excellent results in the league and they're probably excited about the 3-4 Vieira will sign in the summer to try to push them on further.

• Like 1

We're eleventh in the form guide since Gerrard arrived, and bear in mind, with the exception of Palace and Leicester, all the teams around us have played more games in that time. People going on about Newcastle and how well they've done, they've taken just six more points than us since Gerrard, and have played a game more, West Ham have taken just three points and have played two more games, Leicester, Palace and Brighton have all taken less points than us since Gerrard's arrival.

I can see us getting at least nine points from the remaining games, hoping for more, still want us to finish top half, Brighton four points ahead but I wouldn't get carried away with them beating Spurs, their usual pattern is to win a couple of games before going on another winless run again, Palace are probably our biggest threat to a top half finish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Whatever the sides of the argument, being 15th at this relatively late stage of the season simply is not good enough, especially not when sides in bottom 3 for large chunks of the season are now rising above.

Can't even really say it's due to not playing this weekend given it was due to be Liverpool at home which in the current state would be a certain defeat.

Simply have to get 4 points off Leicester and Norwich just to breath a tiny bit of positivity as it's all gone very flat very quickly under Gerrard which isn't great going into the summer.

Compare to the feelings around Palace currently. In a SF, getting some excellent results in the league and they're probably excited about the 3-4 Vieira will sign in the summer to try to push them on further.

Would be a better comparison if Gerrard had a pre season and summer window like Vieira did. Gerrard also has the same amount of wins as Vieira this season in however many less games. 

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't get the constant comparisons to Newcastle. The issue is that we're 15th, not that we're below Newcastle per se. They've had a ridiculous run since Christmas.

Well that is probably the team we are competing for signings this summer. All we had is that we were clearly superior to them and were 2 years behind us

In 3 months they have caught up

• Like 3

We are too far ahead for it to happen this season and if there comes a time next season when there is a risk I have faith that the people running the club will do the right thing.

The niggling fear is that we'd then be left with some sort of "last days of Queens Park Rangers" type squad. Summer will tell a lot of where we are heading.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, useless said:

We're eleventh in the form guide since Gerrard arrived, and bear in mind, with the exception of Palace and Leicester, all the teams around us have played more games in that time. People going on about Newcastle and how well they've done, they've taken just six more points than us since Gerrard, and have played a game more, West Ham have taken just three points and have played two more games, Leicester, Palace and Brighton have all taken less points than us since Gerrard's arrival.

Those sort of facts have no place in the relegation rhetoric. 

Bed wetting over reactions aside for the money spent 15th or worse is an appalling season. I didn't expect top 8 at all, but that's a pretty embarrassing season.

The pressure is on next season..again don't expect top 8 but the expectation has to be better for the level of investment.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What’s stayed the same since we got promoted? Our Midfield. It’ll be addressed in the summer 

Has it ?

I don't recall Ramsey ,countinho, buendia being around for the promotion season - or immediately after it.

• Haha 1