Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

You seem to be making it learn skills or develop the style of the first team as choice between one or the other. They can work in together. All the skills and technique can be learned and all of the other skillsets developed but the overriding football philosophy can still be aligned with that of the first team. 

I don't even understand what that means.

Wolves made a big play a few years back of having all the  teams playing the same style. When the manager (slobaken I think) left  - it transpired they weren't actually doing that much different from before.

Like I say - it's the sort of things that sounds like some genuis strategy - but in reality it's nothing. 

Don't forget you really only get a couple of youth players making it to first team level at the same time - players that are good enough will be able to adapt.

Look at Gareth Barry , Grealish - on hitting the first team they could both play a couple of positions. Barry in particular made the first team as a CB but then shifted to midfield.

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Wow, just looked at the table. Depressing.

Villa could be 15th next time we play, FFS.

8th was well within reach a month ago...

More than likely....Newcastle got home games v tired Leicester and Palace straight after cup SF in next 4 days so would expect them to win one of them. Imagine thinking Newcastle would be above us at any point in the season in mid December.

We really need something at Leicester just to get the morale going again otherwise it's going to be a very bleak end to the season.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I don't even understand what that means.

Wolves made a big play a few years back of having all the  teams playing the same style. When the manager (slobaken I think) left  - it transpired they weren't actually doing that much different from before.

Like I say - it's the sort of things that sounds like some genuis strategy - but in reality it's nothing. 

Don't forget you really only get a couple of youth players making it to first team level at the same time - players that are good enough will be able to adapt.

Look at Gareth Barry , Grealish - on hitting the first team they could both play a couple of positions. Barry in particular made the first team as a CB but then shifted to midfield.

So if you don't see any difference  in having the first team manager influencing the youth team, what difference does it make? What point are you making? 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I started this thread when we were 16th in the league, 2 points above the bottom 3, having lost the last 5 matches in a row. We were abysmal, which is why a manegerial change happened. I've said clearly on this thread since that we won't go down, and that much was clear once we got to 36 points, but I will not apologise for starting the thread at the point in time it was started, nor do I think it would have been appropriate to lock it until we actually reached 36 points.

Na I get it, ye I think weve had this discussion before, I dont have an issue with you starting it. It's the fact it's one if our most prominent threads. We've been absolutely nowhere near the relegation zone all season, but it gives certain negative posters a place to spread gloom consistently.

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So if you don't see any difference  in having the first team manager influencing the youth team, what difference does it make? What point are you making? 

With respect -the point you were making was the youth teams, U23s, first team - should all play the same style.

I don't believe that's feasible or beneficial. If you do ..fine.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

With respect -the point you were making was the youth teams, U23s, first team - should all play the same style.

I don't believe that's feasible or beneficial. If you do ..fine.

Okay, you don't think it is feasible. But does that mean that you agree it would be beneficial if it did happen? I think it would be beneficial, I don't know if the club has the people capable to implement it but I would like to see it happen and I think the club should strive to do its best

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Okay, you don't think it is feasible. But does that mean that you agree it would be beneficial if it did happen? I think it would be beneficial, I don't know if the club has the people capable to implement it but I would like to see it happen and I think the club should strive to do its best

No.

Like a say it was 'tried at wolves'.

Go and watch a youth game - there is much less emphasis on the physical side of the game. 

Kids and youth football is different to Adult football. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

No.

Like a say it was 'tried at wolves'.

Go and watch a youth game - there is much less emphasis on the physical side of the game. 

Kids and youth football is different to Adult football. 

So you are saying it is not about feasibility, it is that you disagree that aligning the youth setup with the footballing strategy of the first team is wrong. On that we will need to agree to disagree

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So you are saying it is not about feasibility, it is that you disagree that aligning the youth setup with the footballing strategy of the first team is wrong. On that we will need to agree to disagree

It's just not done - anywhere.

5 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Mate. We all know that you hate Gerrard. You don’t have to keep repeating the same old rhetoric time and again. It is absolutely tiresome. We all get it. You don’t like him.

Just because he hates Gerrard doesn't mean its not true. He has offered nothing and its blind faith to think he will improve us next season with zero evidence 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Just because he hates Gerrard doesn't mean its not true. He has offered nothing and its blind faith to think he will improve us next season with zero evidence 

You’ve seen nothing in the 7 wins we’ve had? The three wins in a row. First half against spurs last week. Has there really been nothing? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You’ve seen nothing in the 7 wins we’ve had? The three wins in a row. First half against spurs last week. Has there really been nothing? 

Is it 11 losses? Thats not acceptable 

We havent actually beaten a decent team as well. Think Arsenal last win was vs us and lost 3 on the spin

Edited by Zatman

I still think we are going down this season. There’s a reason we have lost the fourth most games. We’re shit. We can’t pick up a surprise win against any one in the top half of the table either. Sign of a struggling team. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I still think we are going down this season. There’s a reason we have lost the fourth most games. We’re shit. We can’t pick up a surprise win against any one in the top half of the table either. Sign of a struggling team. 

Nah, we will win at least one more game before the season is done. Whoopee.

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Would that not suggest we are looking like finishing 4th from bottom and avoiding relegation? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is it 11 losses? Thats not acceptable 

We havent actually beaten a decent team as well. Think Arsenal last win was vs us and lost 3 on the spin

It’s not acceptable no, but your point was we’ve seen nothing. I’m not completely happy but I don’t think saying we’ve seen nothing is fair 

5 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

We won’t go down, but what this has done is show that our players are too mentally weak and big changes are needed. 

Why can’t they just be limited as footballers? Could just as likely be mentally weak fans, if you go by the constant mood swings online.

9 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s not acceptable no, but your point was we’ve seen nothing. I’m not completely happy but I don’t think saying we’ve seen nothing is fair 

Well 3 of the wins came when he abandoned his tactic he tried after Christmas. Since then has been dire. Except 30 minutes vs Spurs we didnt really lay a glove on Arsenal, Watford, Newcastle, West Ham, Wolves and have lost more games in 2022 than we should 

34 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Would that not suggest we are looking like finishing 4th from bottom and avoiding relegation? 

No. Because Burnley have lost 3 less than us and find themselves in the drop zone. We are struggling to pick up points at the moment, we can’t even draw. Norwich, Watford and Everton have a lower of amount of games where they have picked up some points. We’ve earned points in 14 games out of 31 played, which is horrendous. I wouldn’t be surprised if Everton go on a bit of a run now, and who knows what could happen with Burnley now they have made a change. 

• Like 1