Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

They didn't really fit before he came either......what style of play do you propose?

We do have some good players, but too many the same.

For my way of thinking....all the styles they have presented under 2 managers have failed too.

Whats the alternative?

If we don't sign right in the first place, its bound to have a knock on effect in to so many areas.

I agree with the bit that some/many players didn't fit the playing style. I suspect that during the interview process the current players were discussed and SG will have said that he will give everyone a chance but be prepared to get rid of <insert list of players names> in the next few transfer windows regardless of whether means taking a hit financially on not. AVFC is not at the stage of development where we simply get a new manager or buy one or two players and all will be fine. We need to reverse over a decade of decline and put in place the correct management, infrastructure, football management/coaches and playing staff. Management looks right, infrastructure is developing nicely, football management could be right (it could be wrong) but it is vital that the management support the football manager. The playing staff will be sorted when we have a clear footballing strategy and Dir of football and Team manager in place for a few seasons. Selling some players at a loss will be already budgeted for by CP. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, messi11 said:

well well.

The dreamers are dying. relegation is upon us. They say its the players, yet we have better players then Brentford and Brighton... Yet Brentford and Brighton can beat spurs, arsenal and chelsea. Its not the players its the manager. the tactics 

Well these players have performed poorly under two managers now. Who do you want next?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

The stadium news in interesting and positive but on the whole this season has been a disaster and a wasted year and my general interest is going the way of the guy on the right.

Hot Shots - Blood Transfusion on Make a GIF

I just don't believe in the current project sadly. But it would still take something extraordinary for us to get relegated this season. That it's still on the card says it all about this season thou.

If the club has a clear and focused transfer strategy of players out and players / positions to fill which fit our footballing strategy then I don't think it will be a wasted year. Since NSWE bought us we haven't had a proper strategy with our players. In Smith's first transfer window we had no Centre backs. Then when got promoted we lost loads of players thru loans or retirement etc and were forced to get bums on seats. We are hopefully at a stage where we can buy players that match our footballing strategy. I think (hope) this is what CP us trying to do and having changed manager he knows he will have to take a hit on transfer fees

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

We are hopefully at a stage where we can buy players that match our footballing strategy. I think (hope) this is what CP us trying to do and having changed manager he knows he will have to take a hit on transfer fees

My worry is that our football strategy will have changed to revolve around a guy who has a couple of years in Scotland as his whole managerial career. That would be a monumental gamble even thou he was a very good player.

Much liked it better in that short period when it felt like we had football people behind the scenes making football decisions. Hopefully that is still the caseeEven thou it all went tits up by the looks of it. We're on course to end up something like 15 points behind what we did last season, really can't fool myself into feeling we are moving in the right direction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Wow, I haven't been on here in a while and how things change. I can't believe people are seriously suggesting we will go down. I would love to find a bookies that held the same view and I would be a wealthy man come June. 

I know right!

we probably already have enough points 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

My worry is that our football strategy will have changed to revolve around a guy who has a couple of years in Scotland as his whole managerial career. That would be a monumental gamble even thou he was a very good player.

Much liked it better in that short period when it felt like we had football people behind the scenes making football decisions. Hopefully that is still the caseeEven thou it all went tits up by the looks of it. We're on course to end up something like 15 points behind what we did last season, really can't fool myself into feeling we are moving in the right direction.

I would hope that the strategy is not just down to SG and that our Dir of Football has had an input too. However, I am not too worried about SG having a very significant input into the strategy. I like his views on football, he has the pedigree to know a good strategy and I am happy with this. He may not be the man that is able to deliver on the strategy and that would mean replacing him and getting someone in that can deliver it but the overall footballing ethos from Gerrard is something I like at Villa and I don't mind whether it is Gerrard or someone else that makes it happen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I know right!

we probably already have enough points 

While it would be completely unacceptable, I agree, I don't see 18th place matching our current points come the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would hope that the strategy is not just down to SG and that our Dir of Football has had an input too. However, I am not too worried about SG having a very significant input into the strategy. I like his views on football, he has the pedigree to know a good strategy and I am happy with this. He may not be the man that is able to deliver on the strategy and that would mean replacing him and getting someone in that can deliver it but the overall footballing ethos from Gerrard is something I like at Villa and I don't mind whether it is Gerrard or someone else that makes it happen

IMO Stevie G plans go beyond adding a few senior players to the first team. I expect to see a lot changes in youth/u23 backroom staff.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

IMO Stevie G plans go beyond adding a few senior players to the first team. I expect to see a lot changes in youth/u23 backroom staff.

Didn't he already change a lot / most of the backroom staff? I would also be very supportive of the first team manager having this remit at the club. I am not saying that SG is the right man but I think it is right that the youth setup is designed to fit in with what the first team manager wants to do

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are there no mods that can close this, its depressing.

We are 500/1 to go down. Morocco are 250/1 to win the world cup.

Next season, can these threads be locked until we are actually in a relegation battle. 

That's perspective :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Didn't he already change a lot / most of the backroom staff? I would also be very supportive of the first team manager having this remit at the club. I am not saying that SG is the right man but I think it is right that the youth setup is designed to fit in with what the first team manager wants to do

I disagree.

It's a bit of a myth imo that youth football should replicate the first team.

Youth football is a lot more technique focussed - by the time you hit the first you know these techniques. And it's a lot more physical at first team level.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I disagree.

It's a bit of a myth imo that youth football should replicate the first team.

Youth football is a lot more technique focussed - by the time you hit the first you know these techniques. And it's a lot more physical at first team level.

Surely technique for youth development that aligns with first team philosophy are not mutually exclusive? If, for example, the first team play a high press game, do you not think it makes sense for our youth teams to develop into this type of footballing style?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surely technique for youth development that aligns with first team philosophy are not mutually exclusive? If, for example, the first team play a high press game, do you not think it makes sense for our youth teams to develop into this type of footballing style?

Sounds a fine theory.

But that's not what happens.

A popular idea from the top European clubs a few years back - is that players didn't even get specialized positions until they were close on 16.

I remember watch Stokes youth team play tippy tappy football - and that was in the pullis era 

Edited by hippo

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sounds a fine theory.

But that's not what happens.

But if the theory sounds right then the club should follow it? It is up to Purslow to make sure that it is implemented correctly. He needs to be all over Lange to make sure it happens. To move the club forward we need to do the right things and we need Purslow to make these things happen. 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But if the theory sounds right then the club should follow it? It is up to Purslow to make sure that it is implemented correctly. He needs to be all over Lange to make sure it happens. To move the club forward we need to do the right things and we need Purslow to make these things happen. 

But that isn't the right thing.

If you don't believe me get yourself to a youth game. I'd pretty much guarantee that they aren't playing a narrow formation with no wingers - nor will they next season.

There's all sorts of youth charters , etc so that players develop a skillset that they can use even if they don't make it at that club.

Stevie G will be long gone by the time our current youth players approach first team level.

Edited by hippo

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

But that isn't the right thing.

If you don't believe me get yourself to a youth game. I'd pretty much guarantee that they aren't playing a narrow formation with no wingers - nor will they next season.

There's all sorts of youth charters , etc so that players develop a skillset that they can use even if they don't make it at that club.

You seem to be making it learn skills or develop the style of the first team as choice between one or the other. They can work in together. All the skills and technique can be learned and all of the other skillsets developed but the overriding football philosophy can still be aligned with that of the first team. 

38 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are there no mods that can close this, its depressing.

We are 500/1 to go down. Morocco are 250/1 to win the world cup.

Next season, can these threads be locked until we are actually in a relegation battle. 

I started this thread when we were 16th in the league, 2 points above the bottom 3, having lost the last 5 matches in a row. We were abysmal, which is why a manegerial change happened. I've said clearly on this thread since that we won't go down, and that much was clear once we got to 36 points, but I will not apologise for starting the thread at the point in time it was started, nor do I think it would have been appropriate to lock it until we actually reached 36 points.