Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

4 hours ago, dubliner said:

I don't see us being dragged into it at all as I'm hoping performances will improve.

On current form though you certainly can't rule out ourselves or Leicester having a fight on our hands.

Gerrard will turn things around though I'm confident of it. And once he does he can properly judged next season once he's had a full summer to prepare/bring in more of his own players

The performance against Watford wasn't bad. We dominated possession and had loads of corners and 19 shots on goal. We just didn't take any of the chances. Newcastle was a totally terrible performance. 

We'll be fine. I just wish we'd find some form and string a few wins together

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The performance against Watford wasn't bad. We dominated possession and had loads of corners and 19 shots on goal. We just didn't take any of the chances. Newcastle was a totally terrible performance. 

Yep it's finding that consistency that's frustrating.

I think we'll be fine too, still doesn't stop me thinking the worst from time to time though :D 

Hopefully the consistency comes next season when Gerrard has had a full transfer window after having most of this season to assess the squad

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I didn’t think it was that bad either. I think some credit has to be given to Watford for how they defended and broke. We won’t be the first team or the last they scrape wins against with Hodgson in charge.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

But performances dropped way before that since the Norwich game 

How many good 90 minute performances have we had under Gerrard? Norwich was the only one and they had a huge Covid issue for that game

Yes they have a fair bit, but the decline has been very marked since the Leeds/Newcastle games.

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

I wasn’t, this was the comment I quoted and responded to

I know you weren't trolling, I'm saying he was.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Yes but Watford conceded possesion and let us play Newcastee didnt. Different type of game completely 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We had 1 shot on target, 20 shots in total. 

• Like 1

I think if Gerrard takes us down this season. We can look for a new manager in the summer. Steve Cooper could be a good shout, We should easily be winning the league with 100+ Pts and bounce back into the PL

Sell: Bailey, Digne, Martinez, Ings, Watkins, Luiz, 
Ins: Use the loan market.

Aston Villa 22/23 season Championship base build

Steer

Cash- Konsa-Mings- Targett

Buendia- Mcginn-Nakamba- Ramsey- Bigace 

------------------Archer--------------

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I think if Gerrard takes us down this season. We can look for a new manager in the summer. Steve Cooper could be a good shout, We should easily be winning the league with 100+ Pts and bounce back into the PL

Steer

image.jpeg.70fee8bb5c615696a9ced76b32e42359.jpeg

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Aston Villa 22/23 season Championship

Steer

I really don't think Edens will afford Gerrard the time to take us down, not if his ownership and decision making regarding head coaches at the Milwaukee Bucks is anything to go by.

Gerrard was brought in because his ceiling is perceived to be having us challenging for silverware. That's my feeling on it. He'll be allowed the confidence of the board as long as he is seen to be able to fulfil that.

Purslow's man or not I dont think Edens will give him next season if SG looks like taking us down.

@KentVillan I thought I was speaking to your goodself for a moment. 

Edited by A'Villan

11 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Steer

😂😂😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

.4 xG says we didn't create anything of quality to take. Besides a bit of extra hustling, the 2 performances look the same to me. 

9 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

.4 xG says we didn't create anything of quality to take. Besides a bit of extra hustling, the 2 performances look the same to me. 

We have not had a better XG than the opponent since the United game and we have played 4 of the bottom 6

Looking at the Watford game they had 4 big chances and we had one that would have been ruled out for offside

23 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

1.19 to 1.88 from infogol

Whatever xG calc used it was over double 0.4 anyway. It's also the first time we've had over 1 xG and not scored under Gerrard.

That's my bad not sure where I got my number from.

Still it doesn't bode well Watford generated almost double our chances as the away side. Without Emi making some difficult saves score easily could have been 2 or 3 to Watford. 

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

1.19 to 1.88 from infogol

Whatever xG calc used it was over double 0.4 anyway. It's also the first time we've had over 1 xG and not scored under Gerrard.

Whatever this xG thing was my eyes told me that our shots were largely hopeful punts rather than cleanly created chances. I don't think anybody would say that we were unlucky not to score

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, picicata said:

Whatever this xG thing was my eyes told me that our shots were largely hopeful punts rather than cleanly created chances. I don't think anybody would say that we were unlucky not to score

xG is mindblowingly far from an exact science, but it does take into account the quality of chances. In fact, its entire purpose is to create a stat that attempts to accurately predict a score based on the game.

Edited by a m ole