Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, TRO said:

despite Antonio, being the football equivalent of Mike Tyson....their back 4 plus the 2 defending midfielders are instrumental in West Ham's robust approach to games.....They are the epitome of " Hard to beat"

its no coincidence to me, why they have done so well, since we was both scrapping to stay in the league, 2019/20.

but we have the option of looking at a similar midfield 2 in future windows, something I have advocated for some time.

We'll see how they get on against us on Sunday.

Would love to see Sanson thrown into the mix. I think he could be a midfielder we need

14 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

We go for 433 Sheepy we win

Remember when we used to beat them for fun ? Although, there was that FA Cup qtr final at Upton Park in 1980 when big Ken produced one of those inexplicable hand balls from a cross into our box, and up stepped the ever reliable, Ray Stewart to slot the penalty away, incidentally, when did you see Jimmy Rimmer ever save a penalty? 

There was also about 200 ICF in the away end with us and they didn't budge an inch. Best firm I've seen. 

18 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Remember when we used to beat them for fun ? Although, there was that FA Cup qtr final at Upton Park in 1980 when big Ken produced one of those inexplicable hand balls from a cross into our box, and up stepped the ever reliable, Ray Stewart to slot the penalty away, incidentally, when did you see Jimmy Rimmer ever save a penalty? 

There was also about 200 ICF in the away end with us and they didn't budge an inch. Best firm I've seen. 

In the bleeding 88 minute as well 😡. My dad had both of his lips split not day. We had all the Southbank apart from obviously a few hundred of them that could not be shifted. Had a little bit of payback the next season at VP When they played Norwich in the semi-final if I recall

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

In the bleeding 88 minute as well 😡. My dad had both of his lips split not day. We had all the Southbank apart from obviously a few hundred of them that could not be shifted. Had a little bit of payback the next season at VP When they played Norwich in the semi-final if I recall

I was at that semi - final sitting in the upper  Trinity. Had blowing bubbles ringing in my ears for about a week. They had some classy players back in the day and had a reputation for decent football. Sit on the fence, Brooking was some baller as was Bonds, Devonshire and Martin.

If Emi is available, we play 4-3-3 and drop either of Ings/Watkins then there’s absolutely no reason why we can’t beat them. Emi would be a big loss but he could still be back in time. I fear for us if we go 5-3-2 although I would expect a much more pragmatic approach which might help us. If we try and open up like we have been it could get messy!

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

That game was on Big Match Revisited last week.

The Martinez situation has thrown my original 433 team out of the window and I suspect Deano’s as well possibly? Steer is a worry because he sticks to his line like glue, which makes me think that we may now go with a back 5 again. However, Hause would certainly replace Tuanzebe for his aerial ability alone if we do.

Personally, I’d still go 433 but with a change in personnel to my original thoughts with Martinez being absent we think? If so, we’ll need Hause to play for added protection:

Steer

Konsa      Hause              Mings       Targett                    

Luiz                 

McGinn                 Sanson

Buendia            Watkins                 Bailey 

Subs:  Sinisalo, Tuanzebe, Cash, Young, Ramsey, Nakamba, Traore, El Ghazi, Ings

Watkins can perhaps consider himself lucky to start ahead of Ings but his lone striker play is what he’s best at, so I’d want to see a reaction from him.

West Ham will be physical obviously but they still have a lot of quality. Just can’t see us winning this one unfortunately.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Would love to see Sanson thrown into the mix. I think he could be a midfielder we need

Don't see it - at least not on Sunday.

Seems more like a ball playing midfielder to me. I think he needs time on the ball. Which he ain't going to get in the PL.

Was starting to feel.like we can match or beat most prem opposition but this Month .is making me feel like the games we should lose, we will lose, no surprise wins etc.

We've had over a week of the squad getting ready for this game, it's not a must win, but it feels like we must win or this is going one way, mid table/bottom half mediocrity.

We need everyone of them to be absolutely on it because spam are running good, very good. 433 ftw. I want Bailey Ollie and Emi2 up top and Mcginn Dougie and Ramsey behind. Back4 as last season, do or die bleed to win and hopefully Emi1 in goal.

Edit, just read @ferguson1 post above, could live with that too although I doubt Samson will be able to justify starting above JJ, fitness that's all, same as everyone else I'm looking forward to seeing what a fully fit acclimatised Sanson can give us.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

I think we'll struggle here, we are not in great form, but the issue is West Ham are playing very well indeed at present.

I can't imagine we go 3 at the back again, if we do , then it wont be pretty. 

Looking at us from the outside it seems that we look like a soft touch.  Can't argue with that on form at the moment.  The result to me is secondary to the performance.  If we remain passive we don't deserve the points anyway.

The Guardian view on the Villa team for this weekend

Villa, who haven’t won since the middle of September and were especially horrible against Arsenal last weekend, will give West Ham space in which to express themselves – a decent opportunity for the Hammers to get forward in greater numbers and use the talent they have to pick inferior teams apart.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Looking at us from the outside it seems that we look like a soft touch.  Can't argue with that on form at the moment.  The result to me is secondary to the performance.  If we remain passive we don't deserve the points anyway.

The Guardian view on the Villa team for this weekend

A few months ago Paul Doyle was raving about us so they have changed their tune. Most of the outside footballing opinion was that we had a 'good' transfer window, I would if this will be revised downwards if we keep losing. For as long as I can remember we have struggled against big, tall physical sides.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Yeah, Emi is training today so he 100% starts on Sunday. 
Sanson now out with illness! That guy can’t can’t a break. (Probably a poor choice of words!) 

PJB also out with illness! 

Edited by Herman22