Things that cheer you up in Video Games

Designer1

On 04/10/2021 at 20:10, jacketspuds said:

Beating Orphan of Kos on Bloodborne

A definite 'punch the air and shout get the **** in!' Moment for me.

The Soulsborne series has had so many of those over the years.

• Like 3

In-jokes and references to other films / games like:

Spoiler

Seeing a skeleton in a fridge in one of the fallout games

Good quest and quest arcs, with more than one way of doing the mission.

Headshots. In the division, the headshot sound was a horrible squelch lol

• Like 1

My first perfect run on rainbow road (Super Mario Kart).

Oh, and dropping a green shell behind you to save yourself from a homing red shell.  Deeply satisfying.

Edited by Straggler
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Straggler said:

My first perfect run on rainbow road (Super Mario Kart).

Oh, and dropping a green shell behind you to save yourself from a homing red shell.  Deeply satisfying.

That's a good one.

Or hitting B on Mario Kart 64 when you were about to spin to stop yourself (which loads of people didn't know about)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

What??! 

I'm gonna have to try this out later. 

Told you :)

It's only on Mario kart 64 IIRC

Have you ever seen a speech bubble with a little musical note pop out of your driver and not know what it is?

Basically if you run over a banana skin (or when you skid on ice I think or get bumped into by Bowser or something) on MK64 you don't immediately spin, you do a kind of skiddy wobble beforehand. If you hit B while that's happening then your driver doesn't spin. And he does that little musical note thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Told you :)

It's only on Mario kart 64 IIRC

Have you ever seen a speech bubble with a little musical note pop out of your driver and not know what it is?

Basically if you run over a banana skin (or when you skid on ice I think or get bumped into by Bowser or something) on MK64 you don't immediately spin, you do a kind of skiddy wobble beforehand. If you hit B while that's happening then your driver doesn't spin. And he does that little musical note thing.

150cc is almost unplayable because you can make yourself skid without touching a banana or anything else and you have to keep stopping it. 

Also hitting Bowser is an instant skid, it's the ones where you start wobbling for a couple of seconds that you can stop.

• Like 1

I really appreciate a good ladder climbing animation. Any ladder, in any game, I am there to determine if A ) one can climb it, B ) if it is an auto climb or manual climb, C ) the quality of the animation),  D ) if there is any danger of falling and perhaps most importantly E ) how long it is.

There are some really good examples, and really terrible examples. Whether the ladder is great or not though, I appreciate it, and really lament those ladders in games which you can not climb. I think this particular perversion for started for me with Metal Gear Solid. 

Some of my favourites are from MGS3, GTAV and Last of Us. Great, great ladders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

When developers go the extra mile and include the "backblast" damage to bazookas, and you can use it in multiplayer, like so;

and here is the first kill, from a different perspective;

Edited by lapal_fan

On 04/10/2021 at 20:10, jacketspuds said:

Beating Orphan of Kos on Bloodborne, or those pissing giant fish pricks in the well.

These guys are the real final boss of BB. I guess they are guarding the second best weapon in the game though.

On the subject of Bloodborne I love it when you try something you don't expect to work in a game and it ends up unlocking or activating something, and you feel like you just got a fist bump from the dev. Like 'maybe I'll just put this crown on and sit on the throne for a second..', or 'I wonder what would happen if I combined these two items', that kind of thing.

• Like 2

Â