Andorra v England/England v Hungary

andykeenan

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

he'll continue to do ok

with the forward options he has he cant not do ok...but thats the thing, its almost in spite of him, they get him out of the shit, Kane and sterling despite not always playing well are in really good goalscoring form for england, we dont need 70% possession and 20 shots to score a goal and southgate knows it, he can do what he did against germany where we contained them and then poked and prodded them before bringing grealish on and finally attacking them and winning the game (it wasnt comfortable though, muller has to score that 1 on 1) but ultimately the leash that he puts them all on will mean that we fall short

if he just went up 10% in his attacking ambition we will win something but he wont, something as simple as bellingham in for phillips and we are a much better balanced team, not a **** chance is that happening

the croatia game where we won 1-0, that is southgate ball for me, shit game, dirth of quality, but croatia never threatened us and we had 2 flashes of quality in the 90 mins, scored with 1 of them, its enough for him

That's the thing, it could be so much better. I think Lampard would be a decent shout. At least we might start playing on the front foot. Tbh, I think he was unjustly sacked by Chelsea.  I know they improved under Tuchel, but they played a more adventurous way with Lampard, all Tuchel did was tighten up the shutters and every man and his dog was calling him a genius. Frank deserved better than that. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Kane is a big problem because its difficult to drop him but he rarely plays well. 

really not difficult to drop him, he should have been dropped a while ago. Even at the Euros group stages he could have been dropped he was shit

• Like 1

Tuned in late, realised Mings was playing, Ollie came.on, and Jack was taken off early ( Although the pundits claim he was the best player ).

However, surely the above doesn't suit the Southgate has a Villa Voodoo doll conspiracy theory?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tuned in late, realised Mings was playing, Ollie came.on, and Jack was taken off early ( Although the pundits claim he was the best player ).

However, surely the above doesn't suit the Southgate has a Villa Voodoo doll conspiracy theory?

True he is just shit!

• Like 1

I was more interested looking at the pitchside advertisements than the football for most of that game. Pokemon futsal?! Tell me more.

As for the football.. That Simpsons clip of players slowly passing the ball to each other around the centre-circle comes to mind.

Hungary. 🤨

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southgate can claim we wasn't at our best, but everyone needs to ask why would he bring Grealish off! Even the media are asking why?

Stuart Pearce for TalkSport saying Jack has 1 goal in 17 appearances for England. Could be a factory why he came off.

(I didn’t watch the game, listened on the radio)

5 minutes ago, jim said:

Bad day at the office. We go again.

In Southgate we trust.

Yeah, something like this.

Occasionally in football you play pretty well but not quite well enough to finish your chances, and a game you could have won ends up a draw. It's hardly a crisis. Kane had about a hattrick of good chances just in the first 15 minutes, but man was he useless today. Genuinely think Southgate needs to drop him unless he significantly picks up in form for Spurs; at the moment we are purely carrying him and he is making basic errors.

The one main criticism I have of the manager really is taking Grealish off when up to that point he had been our best player. Saka - a much inferior player - did not have the same impact, and wasn't IMO a logical choice to be playing down our right.

But overall, all we need to do is get at least a draw from a home game against Albania and beat San Marino.

• Like 1

How can anyone have faith in a manager who let's a 19yr, old kid take the decisive penalty in European Champions final, who, to add, had already had the experience of missing a vital penalty in a shootout himself? That decision alone should have been enough to realise we ain't winning anything with him at the helm.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I was more interested looking at the pitchside advertisements than the football for most of that game. Pokemon futsal?! Tell me more.

As for the football.. That Simpsons clip of players slowly passing the ball to each other around the centre-circle comes to mind.

Hungary. 🤨

soccer-simpsons.gif

Henderson passes to Rice, Rice passes to Stones, back to Rice. Rice holds it, holds it, holds it!

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Stuart Pearce for TalkSport saying Jack has 1 goal in 17 appearances for England. Could be a factory why he came off.

(I didn’t watch the game, listened on the radio)

But he's not there to score goals. Kane is... apparently.

Sterling is the issue. So one dimensional and offers nothing to anyone. Not even scoring this season so how he kept his spot where Jack was brought off is a mystery. 

Southgate out of his depth. England going nowhere under him. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The longer Tuchel is in the Chelsea job the worse it's making Lampard look. He was shit

No he wasn't . He had Chelsea playing some lovely football and they will still in the top half of the table and still in Europe when he left. 

As I said  I think he'd get a better tune out of these England players than Southgate is managing.. How can you have such array of talent and play such a turgid style of football?  Of course we'll qualify, but as soon as we meet one of the good teams, it will be the same old story again. I still can't believe how lightly he got off after the Euro final with some of the horrendous decisions he made.

Edited by sheepyvillian

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

No he wasn't . He had Chelsea playing some lovely football and they will still in the top half of the table and still in Europe when he left. 

As I said  I think he'd get a better tune out of these England players than Southgate is managing.. How can you have such array of talent and play such a turgid style of football?  Of course we'll qualify, but as soon as we meet one of the good teams, it will be the same old story again. I still can't believe how lightly he got off after the Euro final with some of the horrendous decisions he made.

He had a top 3 team in the "top half".

His successor turned their form around into title winning form and won them the champions league.

Lampard was out of his depth.

I'm not talking about Southgate. I'm not a fan. I'd happily see him gone. But I wouldn't be replacing him with a manager as poor as Lampard

• Like 2

Lampard was abysmal, I can't believe there's any debate about this. Tuchel almost effortlessly guided the same excellent group of players to the top 4 and winning the Champions League, Lampard looks like a complete hump in comparison. 

• Like 3

I think Gerrard might turn out to be a really good manager, you know. Think he needs to cut his chops at another club, preferably in England, as it is hypercompetitive. 

The problem Lampard has had is that it all came a bit easy. He’s not had the experience, and he’s been thrust into a couple of high profile scenarios. 

They both need to manage at Wigan for a couple of years.

Edited by HKP90
  • Haha 1

Â