Andorra v England/England v Hungary

andykeenan

He's done  a good job, promoted youth, a winning mentality so to speak, cohesion and team spirit, a penalty win, a balanced side above names and so on.

...but he needs to go.

Thanks for everything Gareth but you're in game management and your football is absolutely abhorrent.

We'll win nothing.

• Like 2

Hungary’s goal was correct decision for the pen, but one of those bizarre goals that didn’t really mean anything.

Southgate’s basic problem is that he doesn’t know how to really batter a team with all the attacking talent he has.

A team parking the bus like Hungary are only getting unlocked by players like Grealish, Foden, etc. His obsession with playing pacy wingers against deep defences makes no sense - there was no space for them to attack.

Had he kept Grealish on, I think we would have scored another goal. Saka belongs in a different kind of game.

But ultimately it doesn’t really matter. Drawing 1-1 away from home isn’t the worst result in the world. I can’t stand Southgate, but people are reading far too much into this one. Phil McNulty at BBC blaming it on the switch to 1 holding mid lol… 🙄

Edit: of course we were playing at Wembley 🤦‍♂️ But point still stands, we drew to what was basically a freak goal.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Hungary’s goal was correct decision for the pen, but one of those bizarre goals that didn’t really mean anything.

Southgate’s basic problem is that he doesn’t know how to really batter a team with all the attacking talent he has.

A team parking the bus like Hungary are only getting unlocked by players like Grealish, Foden, etc. His obsession with playing pacy wingers against deep defences makes no sense - there was no space for them to attack.

Had he kept Grealish on, I think we would have scored another goal. Saka belongs in a different kind of game.

But ultimately it doesn’t really matter. Drawing 1-1 away from home isn’t the worst result in the world. I can’t stand Southgate, but people are reading far too much into this one. Phil McNulty at BBC blaming it on the switch to 1 holding mid lol… 🙄

Agree, though we were at home :P

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

ITV commentary team tried that excuse last night, englands problem was that rice was left exposed by that midfield, couldnt possibly be that rice isnt actually that good...

their other excuse was that hungary of course raised their game due to being star struck by the majestic palace that is wembley

couldnt possibly be that harry kane was shit (again) all of the problems last night stemmed from lack of movement at the front, kane was shit, sterling was quiet, grealish isnt that player and mount and foden didnt run past kane which is the biggest problem with kane, he can do this roy of the rovers bollocks if he wants, play CM if he wants, even pop up at LB like he did last night but someone has to run past him, he cant play in midfield with foden and mount (he was shit again last night too) he cant play in midfield and sterling and grealish stand out wide, england dont have a Son or even a moura willing to go past him when he does what he does so it doesnt work, someone needs to take up the frank lampard role

Sometimes you just have to credit the opposition, they got their tactics spot on and in reality aren't a bad team.

We are so desperate to slate either the team or the manager sometimes, the reality is that you cant win every game. We didn't play that badly.

Sterling continues to remind us he's a poor player, Mount was quiet and Foden looked like Grealish circa 6 months ago for England where nobody wanted to give him the ball although he wasn't helping himself just standing between two of their players most of the game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

ITV commentary team tried that excuse last night, englands problem was that rice was left exposed by that midfield, couldnt possibly be that rice isnt actually that good...

their other excuse was that hungary of course raised their game due to being star struck by the majestic palace that is wembley

couldnt possibly be that harry kane was shit (again) all of the problems last night stemmed from lack of movement at the front, kane was shit, sterling was quiet, grealish isnt that player and mount and foden didnt run past kane which is the biggest problem with kane, he can do this roy of the rovers bollocks if he wants, play CM if he wants, even pop up at LB like he did last night but someone has to run past him, he cant play in midfield with foden and mount (he was shit again last night too) he cant play in midfield and sterling and grealish stand out wide, england dont have a Son or even a moura willing to go past him when he does what he does so it doesnt work, someone needs to take up the frank lampard role

Rice was a major passenger in the Euros and it felt like he escaped any criticism because Phillips did so well covering both positions. 

Rice is just like Southgate: quiet, doesn’t impose himself, follows the instructions and plays it safe. No wonder he gets picked so much . 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Stuart Pearce for TalkSport saying Jack has 1 goal in 17 appearances for England. Could be a factory why he came off.

(I didn’t watch the game, listened on the radio)

He’s picking and packing for extra cash now?!

These bloody footballers are so greedy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Kane really was awful, but he didn't actually do that much of the popping up all over the place stuff by his standards. I agree with your analysis of the lack of movement up front otherwise though. 

It's a challenge for Southgate that Kane and Sterling are so out of form. Obviously he likes, rates and relies on the pair of them, but there does have to come a point when questions need to be asked about whether they should be guaranteed starters. I don't care that Stones isn't playing for City when he keeps playing well for England, but for Kane and Sterling the situation is a bit different. 

33 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kane really was awful, but he didn't actually do that much of the popping up all over the place stuff by his standards. I agree with your analysis of the lack of movement up front otherwise though. 

It's a challenge for Southgate that Kane and Sterling are so out of form. Obviously he likes, rates and relies on the pair of them, but there does have to come a point when questions need to be asked about whether they should be guaranteed starters. I don't care that Stones isn't playing for City when he keeps playing well for England, but for Kane and Sterling the situation is a bit different. 

Whilst I agree they are out of form they do both have excellent goal scoring records for England over the last couple of years (even through the poor form).

It’s a tricky one, leave them out and we don’t score and questions are being asked why our most reliable goalscorers aren’t starting.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Whilst I agree they are out of form they do both have excellent goal scoring records for England over the last couple of years (even through the poor form).

It’s a tricky one, leave them out and we don’t score and questions are being asked why our most reliable goalscorers aren’t starting.

Yeah, it's tough, especially Kane. But man alive, he's been rank so far this season. 

• Like 1

Getting slated a bit by the media today, I think it's starting. Questioning why he would bring Grealish off when he was our only creative spark, Southgate answered "We went back to original formation as I felt we had to match Hungary and bringing Grealish off I thought  could stop there counter attack".  The question then was then answered, why would he feel the need to match up to a team like Hungary, who never looked like scoring, why did he revert to a defensive stance against a team we should have beat quite easily. He lost his bottle that's why, an that's why we will not win anything with Southgate, he don't even fully trust the players he has, any other manager certainly would.

The fact of the matter is, he thinks he is much smarter than he actually is. He is far from a great manager/coach, an the players are carrying him. He couldn't manage a Premiership team to any success, not a chance!!

• Like 3

Yep matching Hungary is where he went wrong

More worried about them than he was about us

Steve Bruce of international football, how do we stop the other team... **** that, how do we stop the other team from stopping us should be his main concern 

Was tempted last night to draw a comparison with deano and him wanting to play Luiz as the 6, deano does it because of what he wants to do on the ball, not what the other team does, Southgate is the opposite, sets us up around the opposition 

• Like 3

On 30/09/2021 at 14:43, tomav84 said:

what has kane done this season to deserve his place?

To be fair, his goal scoring record is hard to ignore. and anyone, would be forgiven for playing him.

what I don't get, is when you play him and he dishes up that......Southgate , should be ashamed of himself allowing that to go on for as long as it did.....

and then to top it off, he takes off the brightest spark of a threat......its scandalous.

I fear, Jack will say the wrong thing and he will be dumped.

On 13/10/2021 at 17:01, villa4europe said:

Yep matching Hungary is where he went wrong

More worried about them than he was about us

Steve Bruce of international football, how do we stop the other team... **** that, how do we stop the other team from stopping us should be his main concern 

Was tempted last night to draw a comparison with deano and him wanting to play Luiz as the 6, deano does it because of what he wants to do on the ball, not what the other team does, Southgate is the opposite, sets us up around the opposition 

but in the same manner, it didn't work for England, it doesn't always work for us either.

You can't always play too many attack minded players.....it works in theory, but not in practice.....I know, its a paradox, but sadly, it is.

What does work....is the attack minded players you do pick, make sure they are on their game and hungry.....if poor decisions, like leave Harry Kane on, in his melancholy state of mind.....there is no doubt for me, that a team struggles.

or take your brightest spark off and lose 2 players in doing so,Jack and Shaw, who is normally a huge threat.....that too, compounds the struggle.

Gareth's main problem is he can't change a game that's not going the way he wants it to. He's failed to do it against Croatia and Italy and it showed against Hungary as well.

We usually start well....... the opposition see their weakness and our strengths and change the game by changing formation and or players, Gareth is then clueless on how to change the game and we lose the game or struggle to impose our system on the opposition,  despite have a far superior squad of players.

Until he goes we won't win anything .

• Like 2

Â