Energy Bills

Genie

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Why the **** are petrol stations putting the price of unleaded and diesel UP again? 

Robbing **** words removed. 

The Texaco by me that I've posted about before has had one of its crazy spells. Recently it has been lower or the same as the Sainsburys 50m up the road. Currently unleaded is 10p/litre more and diesel is 18p more.

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

The Texaco by me that I've posted about before has had one of its crazy spells. Recently it has been lower or the same as the Sainsburys 50m up the road. Currently unleaded is 10p/litre more and diesel is 18p more.

Supermarkets must be price fixing. They used to always be cheapest so they must have collectively agreed to change their calculations to increase their prices.

Near me they are the same as independent garages that were always 10+ pence a litre more expensive.

7 hours ago, Mister_a said:

Because opec made the price of oil go up again, basically.

Oil is ccurrently lose to its lowest price this year. The market went up a fraction on that opec news and then went back down. They use any excuse to put the petrol prices up but not proportionately back down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Oil is ccurrently lose to its lowest price this year. The market went up a fraction on that opec news and then went back down. They use any excuse to put the petrol prices up but not proportionately back down.

The price rise is due to the dollar / Sterling exchange rate. If the government hadn't f***ed the pound the prices may actually have fallen further

I do agree about the inertia in prices falling, quick to go up, slow to go down

So it seems most boilers are set up to run very inefficiently. You can adjust them yourself in most cases so use less gas and save money. 

I've done mine and not really noticed any difference to our lives, hopefully we're using much less gas now though. 

Guide here:

https://moneysavingboilerchallenge.com/walkthrough/

And a video:

Edited by sidcow

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

So it seems most boilers are set up to run very inefficiently. You can adjust them yourself in most cases so use less gas and save money. 

I've done mine and not really noticed any difference to our lives, hopefully we're using much less gas now though. 

Guide here:

https://moneysavingboilerchallenge.com/walkthrough/

And a video:

I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s quite a poor guide video. It’s confused in the delivery. There are much better guides out there. I’m cooking tea at the mo, but will maybe find one tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don’t mean to be rude, but that’s quite a poor guide video. It’s confused in the delivery. There are much better guides out there. I’m cooking tea at the no, but will maybe find one tomorrow.

corey-haim-thats-rude-mister.gif

• Haha 1

When we had a new boiler installed in Feb, the engineer said something along the lines of 'we recommend keeping the flow temp at 75c...it runs most efficiently at that temp'

I turned it down to 65c the next day

I note that the above link is only useful for those with a combi, and it has a nil return for those with a hot water tank - which I do have. I would have to assume they're covering themselves with regards to legionnaires disease (temp must be above 60 to kill the bacteria)

Would be interesting to hear the opinion of any plumbers, though.

• Like 1

All so frustrating, just moved from the fix to variable as that was going to be a little cheaper. Now to decide whether to just leave it or go back to the fix using the cooling off period, as if they do rocket up i'll get an extra 3 months at a not so high price. Its not like you can second guess what the government will do come April as they don't have a clue themselves.

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

All so frustrating, just moved from the fix to variable as that was going to be a little cheaper. Now to decide whether to just leave it or go back to the fix using the cooling off period, as if they do rocket up i'll get an extra 3 months at a not so high price. Its not like you can second guess what the government will do come April as they don't have a clue themselves.

Just do whatever is best for right now.  

We might have gone through another 2 Prime Ministers and 4 Chancellors by April so the whole subsidy thing will keep changing for better and worse in the meantime.

Had a knock at the door earlier today, my energy supplier came for a chat to tell me what to do to keep my bills down. I thought I'd covered most things but they still told me a few more things to check, like the combi boiler settings mentioned earlier in the thread.

Whilst I doubt the energy suppliers are on our sides, I think this is a fantastic effort on their part. The lady who came to the door explained that most people she had already spoken to had no idea about how to lower their gas and electric usage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Had a knock at the door earlier today, my energy supplier came for a chat to tell me what to do to keep my bills down. I thought I'd covered most things but they still told me a few more things to check, like the combi boiler settings mentioned earlier in the thread.

Whilst I doubt the energy suppliers are on our sides, I think this is a fantastic effort on their part. The lady who came to the door explained that most people she had already spoken to had no idea about how to lower their gas and electric usage.

They seriously just knocked on your door unexpectedly without an appointment? Have you checked your wallet? 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They seriously just knocked on your door unexpectedly without an appointment? Have you checked your wallet? 

Nothing left in it after the last bill.

No appointment, but they said they'd emailed me...

Edited by Jonesy7211
  • Like 1

Â