Energy Bills

Genie

I've got myself a little battery pack that'll be good to keep a heater going for a bit, and at least let me have access to a kettle, microwave and toaster, as well as some battery powered lamps. I hope not to need them, but at this point it only makes sense to expect and plan for the worst

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got myself a little battery pack that'll be good to keep a heater going for a bit, and at least let me have access to a kettle, microwave and toaster, as well as some battery powered lamps. I hope not to need them, but at this point it only makes sense to expect and plan for the worst

Don't forget your hunting rifle to!

I’ve spent the past 9 months working on a contract and focused only on the South Africa market.

Out there they have had ‘load shedding’ for years now whereby entire districts lose power sporadically throughout the week to conserve energy, it’s a bit of a nightmare to be honest by all accounts, I mean they’ve gotten used to it now but it’s difficult to navigate.

I mentioned this to the missus and some friends recently and said it could well end up happening here potentially, now National Grid are putting out warnings of it being possible this winter. Things are gonna get pretty grim potentially.

Regarding prepping for the blackouts, this scenario has been planned for in the COBRA meetings since the start of the Ukraine occupation. My boss's wife attends the meetings, and he told me about it earlier.

Nice of the government to warn us.

Not sure how good they are but those electric heated body warmers may be a good shout, especially for those struggling financially .  I’m with Octopus and the 400 quid rebate will be taken off my monthly bills which works out around 67 quid a month over the 6 month period from October to March .

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I've been in training for no heating for a week already with my building work going on. Just need to walk round the house with one of those old skool cardis on, the big wooly ones will get you through the winter no problem. 😂

Kind of the truth. 

We're only likely to get a couple of weeks where you would really really have to have them heating on in order to survive unless you're particularly old or frail. 

The country is so much warmer than it used to be. Most of the time I put the heating on for comfort not necessity. 

Would have been different in the 70s. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Add in anyone with a newborn to those who are old or frail and going to need the heating on a lot. 

We’ve got a young baby and we bought an electric heater for his room. Much more efficient to heat one room instead of the whole house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

We’ve got a young baby and we bought an electric heater for his room. Much more efficient to heat one room instead of the whole house.

My in laws are mid 70s and have turned all radiators off except the bedroom and living room. 

Good luck with the little one. 

• Like 1

So our energy use has been much higher the last few days despite the heating being barely or not even on at all. 

I've a feeling the tarrif hadn't been uploaded so the readings in the week since the increase might have been innacurate. 

Anyway E.on recently reduced my direct debit from £250 to £242 when the big change happened. I thought it was suspicious. I've just been on the website as I thought I ought to up it rather than potentially get into trouble. But their recommendation was £309 per month.  Why the **** did you recommend and in fact actively change my DDM to £242 then you flipping numpties? 

Edited by sidcow

I've had the heating on a bit more over the last 4 to 5 days, mainly because I've been feeling terrible. Can't seem to shake this cold :(

Silly as it sounds a couple of scented candles take the chill out the room and make it smell nice if you want to save a bit and don't need to feel too toasty. My neighbour, when I used to live up in the city, hardly used the heating in their apartment due to being skint after the £850 a month rent.

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So our energy use has been much higher the last few days despite the heating being barely or not even on at all. 

I've a feeling the tarrif hadn't been uploaded so the readings in the week since the increase might have been innacurate. 

Anyway E.on recently reduced my direct debit from £250 to £242 when the big change happened. I thought it was suspicious. I've just been on the website as I thought I ought to up it rather than potentially get into trouble. But their recommendation was £309 per month.  Why the **** did you recommend and in fact actively change my DDM to £242 then you flipping numpties? 

Nothing to do with the £66 deduction for the next 6 months is it? 309 - 66 = 243

Â