Energy Bills

Genie

I'm in a really weird situation where I fixed until 2024, without even realising I had done it or how lucky I had got.

We payed £92 a month for a year, and I've now been told due to the credit on our account our bills will be £28 a month until the end of the year. However the £66 a month has since been announced so I'm effectively going to pay nothing.

On the other side of the coin, my mortgage fixed rate expired and next month I pay a much higher rate. You win some you lose some I guess.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Have you got your insulated plasterboards in yet? 

Got emm here but not fitted. Could have made them myself for a tenth for the price. Plasterboard with 12.5 mm of polystyrene on the back £60 each ****kin rip offs

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not having much luck are you 😂

Grand Designs ain't it. 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I feel bad for you guys but i'm paying £89 per month and i'm in credit! Using about £50 a month at the moment. Payment goes up to £111 from October as the standing charge and Kwh rates increase but they'll be paying £66 back into my account every month for 6 months. 

Feels like a cheat mode!!

d83b7523761824fc795a9fc9c489b14e.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm in a really weird situation where I fixed until 2024, without even realising I had done it or how lucky I had got.

We payed £92 a month for a year, and I've now been told due to the credit on our account our bills will be £28 a month until the end of the year. However the £66 a month has since been announced so I'm effectively going to pay nothing.

On the other side of the coin, my mortgage fixed rate expired and next month I pay a much higher rate. You win some you lose some I guess.

What sort of increase are you looking at on your mortgage?

Looking at the long term weather forecasts temperatures look to be above average for the next month or 2 (I know its a bit finger in the air job) but it can only be a good thing. 

Hopefully if people have all turned their thermostats down a notch or 2 and temperatures stay high the world might use far less gas than normal and less demand leads to lower prices. 

Certainly this weekend we've still used a lot less than our daily cost according to the smart meter so I'm hoping our surplus continues to grow in October, even November. If the heating only really kicks in during Dec-Feb I've got a big buffer built up from the summer overpayments. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Certainly this weekend we've still used a lot less than our daily cost according to the smart meter so I'm hoping our surplus continues to grow in October, even November. If the heating only really kicks in during Dec-Feb I've got a big buffer built up from the summer overpayments. 

This is what I'm doing. Octopus reduced my DD payments because the £400 from the gov is incoming, I immediately pushed my DD amount back up because that £400 isn't going to stretch very far if the heating has to go on. Building up the credit on my account to hopefully £400-£500 to last until March/April time is my plan. 

6 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

This is what I'm doing. Octopus reduced my DD payments because the £400 from the gov is incoming, I immediately pushed my DD amount back up because that £400 isn't going to stretch very far if the heating has to go on. Building up the credit on my account to hopefully £400-£500 to last until March/April time is my plan. 

The £400 is returned to bank accounts isn’t it (in chunks of £66 or £67)? 

You pay as normal, then they send £66 or £67 back to your bank a few days later.

You’re better off holding money in your own bank earning a bit of interest than in theirs making money for them. 

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

OPEC going to cut oil production by 1m barrels per day. So we'll see fuel prices rise again

I think they are going to cut their official quota by 1m bpd.  But they are already pumping at capacity and aren’t hitting their quotas so even after cutting their quotas by 1m they will still be pumping the same amount at maximum capacity. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The £400 is returned to bank accounts isn’t it (in chunks of £66 or £67)? 

You pay as normal, then they send £66 or £67 back to your bank a few days later.

You’re better off holding money in your own bank earning a bit of interest than in theirs making money for them. 

I think if you pay by DD it gets taken off as a deduction on your bill rather than as a payment to your bank account.

Â