Energy Bills

Genie

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But what about the pay rises for the BP and Shell big boys next year?

What do you mean? I don’t think anyone is suggesting taxing away all their profits. 

If the price cap predictions are accurate then they’ll be making £15b profit per quarter next year.

This is just bonkers. Predicted to hit £5400 in January and £6600 in April. It also needs to be remembered these are just averages. Bigger households will be using more/paying more and those on pre payment meters get charged more. 

It is disgusting that we have a non functioning government doing f all. The stress this more be causing a lot of people must be unreal. 

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree with all of the above but surely the priority needs to be the wholesale price calculation. 
All it is doing currently is funnelling 10’s of billions of dollars into the pockets of a handful of businesses. 

Yes, costs need to go up for obvious reasons, but there needs to be a better balance than what we have.

Yep your right........ the Tory's stand by a market economy and a huge majority of the electorate has voted for them to run the country the way they see fit. It's broken, they won't fix it because it's against their core principles. 

It's only when shit hits the fan you see what a bunch of self serving idiots we have leading the country. I just hope the electorate see it that way and the media start to represent real news rather than party political broadcasts.

Politics needs to change , we need  high achievers running this country not the rich fucXers who have huge egos, pots of money and no moral compasses. There should be an enterance exam into politics. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This is just bonkers. Predicted to hit £5400 in January and £6600 in April. It also needs to be remembered these are just averages. Bigger households will be using more/paying more and those on pre payment meters get charged more. 

It is disgusting that we have a non functioning government doing f all. The stress this more be causing a lot of people must be unreal. 

Was it the April one, they were actually predicting a slight drop only a month or 2 ago? Unless something is done, little chance of that staying at that figure as well 😔

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Energy price cap rose today to £3549. 

I cannot understand why Truss or Sunak haven't come up with a package to help with the price rises. Surely it would be a huge advantage to there campaign. 

I guessing at the moment they have no idea what the plan is.

Truss is doing a moratorium on the energy levy saving families around 150 pounds!

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

At this rate it might actually be cheaper to fly out to qatar and watch the world cup than to heat your house for a month in the winter.

Or one of those 45 night holidays in benidorm that the old ‘uns used to go on.

Even if I accepted that the prices have to rise by these scandalous amounts right now, surely the long term worry is when will they ever come back down? 

Same as petrol/diesel prices, it’s all well and good saying it’s a spike but will we ever now see a return to £1.20 or so a litre? Probably not, these prices will become the new norm or at least, a reduction in the current prices but still markedly higher than pre-Ukraine-war prices and we have to just accept it.

Fk this world and the tw@s pulling the strings.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Even if I accepted that the prices have to rise by these scandalous amounts right now, surely the long term worry is when will they ever come back down? 

Same as petrol/diesel prices, it’s all well and good saying it’s a spike but will we ever now see a return to £1.20 or so a litre? Probably not, these prices will become the new norm or at least, a reduction in the current prices but still markedly higher than pre-Ukraine-war prices and we have to just accept it.

Fk this world and the tw@s pulling the strings.

Well crude dropped to around $95 last week and the Saudi’s reacted to this by announcing they will slow down production.  Price back above $100.

New norms of pricing is a worry.  Yanks focusing on producing shale again could help. Last time they did that the Crude price dropped to around $30.

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was reading yesterday that Fish and Chip shops are in big trouble. As well as inflation on wages and the food they buy, energy costs applied to their fryers are going to make the food extremely expensive.

I've been mild mannered and never rioted in my life but if they start taking away my saveloy and mushy peas that will be the final straw. 

Long term we need MASSIVE investment in Insulation, Wind and Solar, get those Tidal Lagoons built, battery and other storage solutions.  Heat pumps should be installed everywhere, heat batteries should be installed.  There is absolutely TONS of solutions that work NOW and are currently cheaper than oil and Gas.  They're better for the planet and wean us off funding despotic regimes.   

It's insane that we're not going all in on this.

It would be cheaper to lend a household £10,000 payable over 20 years to install a heat pump and Solar panels than it would be to loan them £5,000 this year and next year and probably the year after to pay for frigging gas bills repayable over 20 years which is one of the suggestions being put forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, tinker said:

Tory's stand by a market economy and a huge majority of the electorate has voted for them to run the country the way they see fit

Factually Untrue. They didn’t have a majority of even those who voted, never mind the overall electorate. They got just under 44% of the votes cast. As for people voting for them to “run the country the way they see fit” that’s not really true either. People voted for all sorts of reasons, Brexit, dislike of another party, all kinds.

But to get back to energy prices, while short term steps are essential to stop people dying, it’s the mid to long term that is even more important, to ensure this can’t happen again. Get off fossil fuels, insulate, generate, legislate.

On 25/08/2022 at 09:02, claretman said:

This is going to get messy. 

My mortgage is fixed at the moment until March 2023-to change now will mean a hefty repayment fee and if I wait until nearer the time I’m then unlikely to pass the affordability checks for a new mortgage due to the rising costs of everything else and the wife’s business which has been bumpy during COVID.

There are plenty in the same boat who will just have to move onto the standard variable rate and see how it pans out.  With  predicted rises that is not good. 

What would actually happen in this situation? If all lenders say nope, then are you forced to sell? House re-possessed? I  must say I'm completely ignorant to the implications.

Energy costs alone could absolutely be more than the mortgage for many households by Winter '24 if things keep going the way they are, so surely this sort of situation would become relatively common. 

2 minutes ago, hogso said:

What would actually happen in this situation? If all lenders say nope, then are you forced to sell? House re-possessed? I  must say I'm completely ignorant to the implications.

Energy costs alone could absolutely be more than the mortgage for many households by Winter '24 if things keep going the way they are, so surely this sort of situation would become relatively common. 

I think he means he'd go automatically onto and be at the complete mercy of the variable rate.

• Like 1

I'm still locked in to a tariff until next September, feeling incredibly fortunate, but shitting myself that they won't have come down by then. A year's reprieve feels like winning the lottery right now though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Long term we need MASSIVE investment in Insulation, Wind and Solar, get those Tidal Lagoons built, battery and other storage solutions.  Heat pumps should be installed everywhere, heat batteries should be installed.  There is absolutely TONS of solutions that work NOW and are currently cheaper than oil and Gas.  They're better for the planet and wean us off funding despotic regimes.   

It's insane that we're not going all in on this.

It would be cheaper to lend a household £10,000 payable over 20 years to install a heat pump and Solar panels than it would be to loan them £5,000 this year and next year and probably the year after to pay for frigging gas bills repayable over 20 years which is one of the suggestions being put forward.

Yes. New housing should have heat pumps put in now, not by 2025. That could save about 500,000 houses not reliant on gas or oil.

Â