Energy Bills

Genie

7 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I registered interest in a heat pump through my energy supplier (Octopus) and it turns out my house (early 90's) isn't suitable due to the radiators being on 10mm microbore pipes. They need to be using your regular 15mm pipework. The cost and destruction to the walls swap my system out for 15mm would be huge. I quickly withdrew any interest at that point.

Wow, I didn't know microbore didn't work with heat pumps. That's going to be a big issue because it's in a lot of homes. 

I've looked at my house and it's all full size pipes except for 1 new radiator in our extension that's microbore.  Hoping that won't cause an issue. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Wow, I didn't know microbore didn't work with heat pumps. That's going to be a big issue because it's in a lot of homes. 

I've looked at my house and it's all full size pipes except for 1 new radiator in our extension that's microbore.  Hoping that won't cause an issue. 

I hope the technology improves and the boffins can find a workaround because I'd love to ditch gas.

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

I hope the technology improves and the boffins can find a workaround because I'd love to ditch gas.

Yes, as they become more mainstream I'm sure the tech will improve and the output will get hotter. 

They're going to have to do something if gas boilers are being outlawed. 

I guess the other option is electric boilers. They're uneconomical right now because the government green levy is more heavily biased against electricity. I'm certain over time they'll start to swap that over to gas so electric boilers will become much cheaper to run than they are now. 

There have been hydrogen/methane trials on the go for a little while now - mixed at the right percentage and a change of part on the boiler and we're ready - according to a worcester bosch installer I know anyway. No idea if that means cheaper, most probably not!

On 20/07/2022 at 08:10, stuart_75 said:

I registered interest in a heat pump through my energy supplier (Octopus) and it turns out my house (early 90's) isn't suitable due to the radiators being on 10mm microbore pipes. They need to be using your regular 15mm pipework. The cost and destruction to the walls swap my system out for 15mm would be huge. I quickly withdrew any interest at that point.

Maybe this will be of interest to you 

• Like 1

Submitted meter readings yesterday and all good so far. DD for gas and electric still below £100.

Scottish Power gives you the data over the last 4 years in terms of energy usage and i'm at the lowest usage of that whole period now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xela said:

Submitted meter readings yesterday and all good so far. DD for gas and electric still below £100.

Scottish Power gives you the data over the last 4 years in terms of energy usage and i'm at the lowest usage of that whole period now. 

I'm currently submitting mine higher than the true reading, since prices will go a way further up yet.

17 hours ago, saturdaygig said:

I'm currently submitting mine higher than the true reading, since prices will go a way further up yet.

Keep your fingers crossed your energy company don't go bust and don't let the meter readers in. 

3 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

A lovely email to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

Screenshot_20220724-094056_Chrome.jpg

I'd be cancelling my DD. Who's your provider?

Luckily not had any of that nonsense from Scottish Power

• Like 1

Â