Energy Bills

Genie

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

The VAT element of fuel at £2 per litre is 33.3p Fuel Duty is 58p. Total tax on a £2 litre is 91.3p

Gotta claw all the money spent on them dodgy Covid contracts from somewhere. I truly believe this to be the case too, the Government don't give two f***s about the fuel prices how it's killing small businesses and joe public, they have hardly mentioned it. Anyone with half a brain would know the 5p reduction in fuel duty was going to have a zero effect in the long run. I'm really unsure how people are managing to pay close to £10 a gallon.

To think it was £1.40 in January. Can't really understand the lack of protests.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You realise there were Motorway blockades just yesterday

There's blockades everyday on the motorways, it's called traffic. People need to try a bit harder There were far better protests for insulate Britain, which hardly anyone gives a f*** about.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Gotta claw all the money spent on them dodgy Covid contracts from somewhere. I truly believe this to be the case too, the Government don't give two f***s about the fuel prices how it's killing small businesses and joe public, they have hardly mentioned it. Anyone with half a brain would know the 5p reduction in fuel duty was going to have a zero effect in the long run. I'm really unsure how people are managing to pay close to £10 a gallon.

To think it was £1.40 in January. Can't really understand the lack of protests.

Fuel duty is a fixed cost and has been for over a decade. You can't blame the Government for that part, they also cut it by 5p. VAT is a % of the price, so this has risen say 15p overall during the rise. So if you factor in the duty cut tax has made up 10p of the total rise in fuel cost.

What would you have Government do? cut all the fuel duty and borrow more money to cover it? That isn't fair, I don't have a car why should we take out more debt to subsidise people who own cars? 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Fuel duty is a fixed cost and has been for over a decade. You can't blame the Government for that part, they also cut it by 5p. VAT is a % of the price, so this has risen say 15p overall during the rise. So if you factor in the duty cut tax has made up 10p of the total rise in fuel cost.

What would you have Government do? cut all the fuel duty and borrow more money to cover it? That isn't fair, I don't have a car why should we take out more debt to subsidise people who own cars? 

I take it you pick all your food from your allotment, slaughter your own pigs and chickens, never buy anything from any shop, use public transport....

EDIT:taking your figure of 10p rise in VAT per litre and the annnual consumption of 46billion litres of road fuel per year in the UK. Thats a £4.6 billion rise per year to the exchequer since the fuel price increase

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I take it you pick all your food from your allotment, slaughter your own pigs and chickens, never buy anything from any shop, use public transport....

Ah whataboutery. Standard response to something.

You could just state your view on the subject. What do you want the Government to do? Cut taxes on Fuel and borrow more money to do that? 

Fuel taxes are there so the people who use the roads the most pay more towards the road upkeep than those who don't. We all rely on roads but some more than others. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Ah whataboutery. Standard response to something.

You could just state your view on the subject. What do you want the Government to do? Cut taxes on Fuel and borrow more money to do that? 

Fuel taxes are there so the people who use the roads the most pay more towards the road upkeep than those who don't. We all rely on roads but some more than others. 

Cut taxes to the income level they were before the invasion of Ukraine. It is possible to zero sum this so the government takes as much as it did previously but it reduces the inflationary pressure

It's not hard to fathom out

PS that wasn't whataboutery. I was pointing out how the fuel price affects everyone including the carless you. I wasn't moving attention away from your point, just saying that the rises affected you too. It's the same point

Flipping heck

Typical domestic energy bills could hit more than £3,300 a year this winter, according to the latest forecasts.

Consultancy Cornwall Insight said the typical gas and electricity bill in England, Wales and Scotland could reach £3,363 in the new year.

The prediction comes as suppliers and consumer groups agreed a plan that could lead to a dedicated hotline and debt support for struggling households.

A set of government payments to help with bills starts to be paid next week.

However, there were calls for the government to do more to support families during the coming winter.

Cornwall Insight said that the typical domestic customer was likely to pay £3,244 a year from October, then £3,363 a year from January. The typical bill at present is about £2,000 a year.

Link

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

Flipping heck

Link

You could get together with a few of your mates and neighbours and employ someone to go dig out a load of coal from the ground round Staffordshire way to save money.  Your personal manic miner.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Flipping heck

Link

suppliers and consumer groups agreed a plan that could lead to a dedicated hotline and debt support for struggling households.

It's ok, problem solved with a hotline!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It's ok, problem solved with a hotline!

Hopefully it will allow us to plug our central heating pipes into it.

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Flipping heck

Link

Well I mean the coming winter is priced at 400-500, which is twice as much as the last twelve months. So it has to go to £4-5k per year at some point next year, unless the government somehow intervenes.

Edited by turvontour

Just now, turvontour said:

Well I mean the coming winter is priced at 400-500, which is twice as much as the last twelve months. So it has to go to £4-5000k per year at some point next year, unless the government somehow intervenes.

Shell and BP will be doing £10b+ a quarter profit at those prices. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Shell and BP will be doing £10b+ a quarter profit at those prices. 

Oil specifically is as low as it's been for months. We should be seeing a reduction at the forecourts, but we wont. Gas is on a different trajectory with Russia dictating play. Demand destruction in a serious way counters it.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are seeing it at the pumps, found it at a bargain £1.95 a litre for deisel today at Asda.

I think I read it was £1.16 before Covid struck.

193.9 I got some diesel at yesterday, saw ASDA was 195.8 tonight. Definitely the signs of a downturn in pump prices

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We are seeing it at the pumps, found it at a bargain £1.95 a litre for deisel today at Asda.

It's been that for two weeks.

Â