Energy Bills

Genie

9 hours ago, bickster said:

193.9 I got some diesel at yesterday, saw ASDA was 195.8 tonight. Definitely the signs of a downturn in pump prices

Asda down from 197 to 195.

Sainsburys over the road 197 down from 199

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Asda down from 197 to 195.

Sainsburys over the road 197 down from 199

Tesco still £1.99 weirdly, usually the first to drop, take a little more profit while they can probably.

We will be thinking it's cheap when it comes down to £1.90, but it'll never be back to where it should be, around £1.20-£1.30. If it came down to £1.50 we would think it's cheap, when in reality it's still nearly a pound more a gallon more expensive than 12 months ago, takes the piss really.

• Like 1

If we invest in this , tidal power , we could be at the front of a new era of power. It's the future Gerry.....

By Thomas Moore, Science correspondent @SkyNewsThomas

Friday 8 July 2022 19:27, UK

Strong tides along UK coast could create electricity for less than cost of nuclear power

The UK has the second biggest tides in the world after Canada, peaking in the Bristol Channel, and along the coast of north Wales and northwest England - but it still hasn't seized the use of tidal power.

https://news.sky.com/story/strong-tides-along-uk-coast-could-create-electricity-for-less-than-cost-of-nuclear-12648308

The trouble with renewables is 1 kilometre down isn’t always warmer, and the tide doesn’t always come in. There is rarely an offshore wind, and there is absolutely no possible way of storing energy from PV.

Better to stick with the tried and tested safety of Chinese nuclear reactor technology. Or better still, address the very current energy crisis and global warming by promising to invent a new sort of town hall nuclear reactor to be rolled out at some point in the future just after personal jet packs and cars that run forever on a cup of water.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you explain when the tide hasn't come in? 

Apologies, it’s my cheap sarcastic style.

It annoys the hell out of me, so it must properly piss off others to see the same lazy trick turned out constantly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Apologies, it’s my cheap sarcastic style.

It annoys the hell out of me, so it must properly piss off others to see the same lazy trick turned out constantly.

The one. That's making me so angry is not going big on land based wind turbines.  Its the quickest, easiest AND CHEAPEST way we have of making electricity but because some Tory party donors don't want their view spoilt we're not building them

Insane. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The one. That's making me so angry is not going big on land based wind turbines.  Its the quickest, easiest AND CHEAPEST way we have of making electricity but because some Tory party donors don't want their view spoilt we're not building them

Insane. 

This is where it’s much simpler in places like China, no consultation, it’s just happening.

Domestic energy bills will rise faster this winter than previously forecast by the energy regulator Ofgem, its chief executive has admitted to MPs.

Jonathan Brearley said in late May that a typical household would pay £800 a year more from October. 

But, while giving evidence to MPs, he said it was "clear" that estimate for winter bills now looked too low.

The original figure was used by ministers when deciding how much to pay in direct assistance this winter.

One industry analyst has predicted a rise of more than £1,200 a year in October. Cornwall Insight said that the typical domestic customer was likely to pay £3,244 a year from October, then £3,363 a year from January.

Link

At least it looks like the rise between October and Jan is only another ~£100…

8 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s not a crisis though. Definitely not a crisis. No siree no. Only Ukraine is a crisis. 

Not for the people in power who will be recovering all of their gas, electric, petrol and diesel costs back.

Or if you’re the likes of JRM or Sunak so wealthy it doesn’t matter.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

a large issue with the fuel costs is the strength of the Dollar against the pound.

$70 a barrel is around what we've normally paid between 2015 and 2021 (excluding the collapse in prices during Covid). Just over a year ago the exchange rate to Dollar was $1.40 to the pound and now it's $1.2 to the pound.

Oil rose to $120 in June this year. That's a 70% increase in oil price from the $70 is was just over a year ago. But when you factor in the exchange rate change it's a 100% increase. The strength of the dollar is damaging and causing even more inflation in other countries as a result. We're being doubly hit

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

a large issue with the fuel costs is the strength of the Dollar against the pound.

$70 a barrel is around what we've normally paid between 2015 and 2021 (excluding the collapse in prices during Covid). Just over a year ago the exchange rate to Dollar was $1.40 to the pound and now it's $1.2 to the pound.

Oil rose to $120 in June this year. That's a 70% increase in oil price from the $70 is was just over a year ago. But when you factor in the exchange rate change it's a 100% increase. The strength of the dollar is damaging and causing even more inflation in other countries as a result. We're being doubly hit

Thank god we haven't done anything recently to destabilise the pound then as that would be like some form of self harm. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

Â