Energy Bills

Genie

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Just reading that it has been announced this morning that Centica, who own British Gas, profits have increased 5 fold in the first 6 months of this year in comparison to the same 6 month period last year. Up from 262 million to 1.34 billion pound. We are having our pants pulled down aren't we. 

It's disgusting, but so obvious. Let's wait and see BP and Shell, will be jnteresting.

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Most of the rise is put onto the standing charge unfortunately which you pay regardless of how much gas/electric you use. 

I was thinking about this yesterday, whether different suppliers have different standing charges. It’s not clear how or why standing charges need to go up, or be at the levels they are, when it’s the cost of gas which is the variable.

If the main chunk of the bill is the actual energy used, then that is likely to help reduce peoples costs and consumption more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, whether different suppliers have different standing charges. It’s not clear how or why standing charges need to go up, or be at the levels they are, when it’s the cost of gas which is the variable.

If the main chunk of the bill is the actual energy used, then that is likely to help reduce peoples costs and consumption more.

If the suppliers are cranking up the standing charges then it shows them up for the profiteering crooks they are.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's disgusting, but so obvious. Let's wait and see BP and Shell, will be jnteresting.

Wait no more. Shell just announced they made record profits of nearly £10bn between April and June and promised to give shareholders payouts worth £6.5bn

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Might go break a window at Centica.  They're based in Windor apparently.

Good stuff, they're miles from me, you handle those, I'll plan to stay warm this winter toasting marshmallows over the burning offices of Eon.

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

This is getting way out of hand now and is going to hurt, and potentially kill, a lot of people unless the government step in again and provide some serious help as what they have done so far will have been wiped out by the further predicted rises.

£3,500, that would be a cut for me, I'm paying £361 a month (£4332/yr) dread to think how much its going to go up by, just a good thing I've got a great paying job - oh no wait, I've had to retire because of my health.

I've also got a diesel S-Max so am getting bummed every time I fill up! At the moment I'm scared of bending over to pick something up from the floor.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

The independent petrol station owners have already confirmed the chains are holding prices too high. Now this with the home energy.

Absolute piss takers.

Asda at Ventura have dropped diesel to 191.7, down 4 pence.

Yet Asda in Shirley have it at 186.9. as I work over there that's where I got it.

Stil needs to come down at least 20p.

• Like 2

Can't remember where, but I read an opinion piece last week about the impact of Asda's petrol stations being under the control of those brothers who own thousands of other petrol stations. Apparently Asda used to essentially control the market by being the most willing supermarket to cut fuel prices to use it as a loss leader, and without them doing that, prices are falling slower and not as far. Not sure how much there is in that, mind you.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Can't remember where, but I read an opinion piece last week about the impact of Asda's petrol stations being under the control of those brothers who own thousands of other petrol stations. Apparently Asda used to essentially control the market by being the most willing supermarket to cut fuel prices to use it as a loss leader, and without them doing that, prices are falling slower and not as far. Not sure how much there is in that, mind you.

Unless they have bought the forecourts in the last few weeks, the Asda owners do not own the fuel side. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Asda at Ventura have dropped diesel to 191.7, down 4 pence.

Yet Asda in Shirley have it at 186.9. as I work over there that's where I got it.

Stil needs to come down at least 20p.

Yes, by all accounts it seems to still be about 20p too high at the forecourt maintaining typical margins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don’t think they got the petrol stations as part of the deal to buy the super market. They were split out due to concerns over competition and in the end I think they didn’t complete the deal to buy them.

I assume they are still owned/operated by Walmart but not sure.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Unless they have bought the forecourts in the last few weeks, the Asda owners do not own the fuel side. 

I think they still do as part of the Asda company, they intended to sell the petrol stations from Asda to their EG group which is what fell through, but they still ultimately control them as the controlling interest in Asda, as far as I'm aware? Happy to be corrected!

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think they still do as part of the Asda company, they intended to sell the petrol stations from Asda to their EG group which is what fell through, but they still ultimately control them as the controlling interest in Asda, as far as I'm aware? Happy to be corrected!

It's difficult to work out to be honest, it seems they put a bid in for 750m but not certain who if not then, own the fuel side. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

It's difficult to work out to be honest, it seems they put a bid in for 750m but not certain who if not then, own the fuel side. 

From what I remember the initial plan was for them to buy shops and petrol stations but concerns were raised about competition as they’d have such a big market share of petrol stations.

Petrol stations were removed from the deal to buy the stores. A separate £750m deal for them was planned under the condition they sold off some of their non-Asda forecourt’s.

In October last year they pulled out of the purchase of the ASDA forecourts.

I think the rabbit is out of the hat now. The defence of energy markets was that they would provide competition that would drive prices down for the consumer. Well there is no longer a market, there is no longer an effective regulator (you might say that has been intentional) and the man in the street can see that whatever price the energy is being bought for on the international market (out of their control cry the government) it is being sold onto the consumer at an even greater price, even when wholesale markets go down. It's blatant profiteering and it needs a political answer. 

Â