January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

suarez is a word removed of the highest order. i despise the guy...don't care how good he is, i wouldn't be happy at all

You want a word removed like Suarez in your team. A winner and phenomenal striker

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

What do we think about Coutinho and Buendia providing Suarez with chances?

Suarez is old but still has a good goal scoring record. I haven't seen much of him lately, but remember him having exceptional movement in and around the box. We will be guaranteed goals galore. 

My question is why the big push for short term success this season, when the is nothing to play for in league or Cup? I'm starting to suspect Gerrard may be looking for this so everyone thinks he has done a great job, which will help him get another job with Liverpool or another champion's league team.

The problem for us will be that it leaves us in a mess with lots of older, high wage players who have no resale value. You can't build with that strategy, as a club like ours needs to be make good profits on our playing staff and reinvesting it wisely.

As we can't loan him, purchasing a 34 year old on a 2-3 year contract with large wages isn't good business imo. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

He's 35 Next week, Can't see this one happening 

Barca discarded him because they thought he was past it and he joined Atleti and won the league. And tore it up. 

Its Luis F&@/ING Suarez. 

He’s on a different level to anyone we’ve ever had up front. Ollie can sit down. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So the conspiracy is that Gerrard wants Villa to finish as high as possible in the league he can get us so that he looks good and he can then leave for another job. What a cunning plan by a football manager 😂

You are missing the point. It's about what position it leaves us in when he moves on, with an aging playing staff who are not adding value and the club can't shift. If the club stuck to buying high potential younger players we would have a better chance of building sustainable success, instead of a short term fix, where we finish 6th one season and then spend a few more in the bottom half of the table, while we rebuild an aging team. Rinse and repeat. 

Edited by Made In Aston

1 minute ago, kevpants said:

Barca discarded him because they thought he was past it and he joined Atleti and won the league. And tore it up. 

Its Luis F&@/ING Suarez. 

He’s on a different level to anyone we’ve ever had up front. Ollie can sit down. 

What's Ian Rush doing? 

2 minutes ago, kevpants said:

Its Luis F&@/ING Suarez. 

Not in his current state he isn't.

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Suarez is old but still has a good goal scoring record. I haven't seen much of him lately, but remember him having exceptional movement in and around the box. We will be guaranteed goals galore. 

My question is why the big push for short term success this season, when the is nothing to play for in league or Cup? I'm starting to suspect Gerrard may be looking for this so everyone thinks he has done a great job, which will help him get another job with Liverpool or another champion's league team.

The problem for us will be that it leaves us in a mess with lots of older, high wage players who have no resale value. You can't build with that strategy, as a club like ours needs to be make good profits on our playing staff and reinvesting it wisely.

As we can't loan him, purchasing a 34 year old on a 2-3 year contract with large wages isn't good business imo. 

Roll the dice for European football. 10 pts off 6th with 18 games to go. I said at the start of the season I thought Uefa Cup spot was the mandate. Explains the decision to drop Dean and go big on January signings. Long shot, but the downside of not making it is that we probably lose good players in the Summer as big clubs poach. Upside of making it is we keep everyone we want to keep, sign coutinho on perm, have enough games to blood youngsters next season (keeping them happy), attract bigger players, launch assault on top 4.

Feels like Newcastle acquisition might be speeding up plans. Act now or risk being overtaken.

European Conference League easier to achieve assuming teams from top 6 win both cups.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You are missing the point. It's about what position it leaves us in when he moves on, with an aging playing staff who are not adding value and the club can't shift. If the club stuck to buying high potential younger players we would have a better chance of building sustainable success, instead of a short term fix, where we finish 6th one season and then spend a few more in the bottom half of the table, while we rebuild an aging team. Rinse and repeat. 

We already have the young high potential players though?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Its a tough one, but eventually we get to a point where we need to be successful now, not in 3 years time. In order to do that you need "now" players and not relying on Archer, Iroegbunam, Chukwumeka, Ramsey x 2, etc.

If you buy the very best 23-27 year olds, they cost money we probably cant spend yet and we'd be competing against the very elite for those players

• Like 3