January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Finally we're casting off our deadwood.

I'm loving the brutality from the club.

Yep, we need that ruthlessness otherwise the best we will do is stand still.

Time to stop being overly sentimental and judge players on quality/ability rather than memories. We need to keep enhancing/improving the squad if we actually want to progress, improve and achieve things.

The likes of El Ghazi & Trez are not even close to being good enough for us, sooner they’re out the better. And the sooner we can bring better in.

Tired of shit players to be frank (plus Trez really pissed me off with that poor excuse for a dive), it’s time to kick on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomC said:

LOL 25 years without hardware has made a few pessimists around here!

Obviously too late to win anything this year, but with the way NSWE are spending, I'm daring to be optimistic about the next couple.

Hah yea, that was just for the lols. I’m quietly confident we will finish strongly and push on. I mentioned it earlier but it feels like another turning point is on the horizon after a pretty grim year or so in terms of results. (I think we have been poor since December 2020).

Is the only reason people are talking about Alvarez because it is rumoured AEG and Trez might be going?

If so I wouldn't bother chatting about it as both of those are complete deadwood now, they don't need replacing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We really are desperate for that quality DM… it would “complete” our side for the rest of this season at least imo.

The time for major changes or any kind of overhaul is in the off season. If people really see the need to upgrade at CB, then I think now is not the time for that. Attempting that now would cause more disruption than anything else imo… just need to up the concentration levels and focus. 

I personally have no issue with Konsa & Mings. I think it’s a fine partnership that was unnecessarily disturbed before SG restored it. Mings is absolutely crucial to us, the leader and organiser of our team. We struggle badly without him. Konsa is a fine defender with huge potential. 

An upgrade on Targett will really help us.

Coutinho should be an amazing signing for us and with Buendia and Bailey… I think we have a very strong attack.

Chances galore for Watkins and/or Ings.

Sorting out the midfield is crucial, it’s the highest priority. We need some strength, control and composure in there. Some physicality would be welcome too… maybe the reason our defence looks vulnerable at times is because of how unprotected and exposed it is by our midfield???

I know it’s something that often gets laughed at, but I do get concerned at the lack of height and strength in our team… we need the right balance…

I am in total agreement.....I would like to see a quality CDM come in before messing with the 2 centre backs......they need some protection from midfield and I would be interested to see that, first, before considering changing them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am in total agreement.....I would like to see a quality CDM come in before messing with the 2 centre backs......they need some protection from midfield and I would be interested to see that, first, before considering changing them.

I also agree. With Axel leaving I think we might need another backup CB but CDM is the most vital. It would change us drastically for the better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I’ve just never felt any urgency or desperation from the club to address that position… hoping that has changed now and we’re working hard on a quality addition. The sooner the better, we are crying out for defensive reinforcement in midfield… strength & quality on the ball is a must.

That’s where the urgency lies… we need not necessarily add in other/further positions right now (although, upgrades are most welcome).

Digne - better LB

Coutinho - better forward

A proper DM

That would be a superb Jan window for us…

Even better if we offload weaker players such as El Ghazi & Trez.

When Bailey returns, we’ll have excellent options to support our strikers.

We can have more of an overhaul or “team enhancement” in the summer window. Shake things up as much as we see fit, then but we need to try and finish this season off well without too much disruption. Finish as high as possible.

• Like 1

We do need another CB but I’m honestly undecided on whether we splash out (limited funds, I’d rather we went heavy on DM) on a perceived upgrade and disrupt our existing partnership (risky and arguably not required) or go for a younger player with potential or pursue another loan deal for someone.

No names are instantly coming to mind, that would appear to be a solution…

I don’t think it would be wise to disrupt and try to make changes in too many positions… we have the basis of a good team. 

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

I’ll be shocked if we don’t bring someone in, I am expecting it tbh.

Nakamba’s performances (and injury) will have further highlighted how much such a player can benefit us (and how much we miss him, what we lack) and it’s an opportunity to get a genuine upgrade in too… I yearn for the day when we can dominate midfield in the majority of our games… get the right player in and I think it’s possible. Our “8’s” are pretty good imo… we need that proper, dominant “6”. A calm, controlling presence…

Can rest easy once that’s sorted out 😆

Selling El Ghazi with more than 10m is a big steal. Same goes with Trez, anything above 5m will be the same. 
We still have Bailey to be back. Buendia, Coutinho and JPB. We need to give our youngsters a proper chances. They won’t be worse than El Ghazi or Trez for example. But atleast we know there is a potential. We developed Ramsey and now he looks like 15-20m player with potential. Now having Kesler back we should keep him as the first backup (would even rotate him at times). Now it’s officially a building season. After going out from the cup we would need a miracle to go to Europe. Although it’s still a possibility but we need to use it to improve the team. Last season we wasted the season by playing the likes of Barkley when it was clearly all lost. We haven’t even played and of our youngsters apart from Ramsey, and couple of minutes for JPB and Carney at the last two games. We can’t let the season just go without giving Kesler, JPB and Carney proper minutes and even starts. Even A.Ramsey if he didn’t go out on loan. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yep, we need that ruthlessness otherwise the best we will do is stand still.

Time to stop being overly sentimental and judge players on quality/ability rather than memories. We need to keep enhancing/improving the squad if we actually want to progress, improve and achieve things.

The likes of El Ghazi & Trez are not even close to being good enough for us, sooner they’re out the better. And the sooner we can bring better in.

Tired of shit players to be frank (plus Trez really pissed me off with that poor excuse for a dive), it’s time to kick on.

Actually it’s better to send players and give them good chances elsewhere keeping some nice memories rather than giving them/us tough times to get the hate. We’ll always remember El Ghazi goal at Wembley, Trez goal getting us to Wembley. Trez goals the helped us staying up. But time to move on. Hutton kept himself in our memories with that goal against them and his character. While we knew how limited he was. 
Its good to make players feel the love from the fans even if they were limited. But that won’t be in the expense of improving the time. 
DS is the same. He’ll always have a place in our heart. It’s good that he’s gone before it got complicated to make us forget what he’s done to us. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

El Ghazi and Trezeguet out. Julian Alvarez in.

**** knows where we’ll play Buendia, Bailey or Traore but hey ho.

For Traore and Bailey, they’ll always have the talent, which not many players have around the world. What can be questionable is their workrate and their decision making. While Buendia has a playmaking skill which he still failed to fully deliver added to some bad decision making. Wether it’s a matter of doubt or trying hard to impress, I’m not sure. But he should have more to offer. For Trez he only has two things, workrate and positioning. The latter is mainly for a forward (and good addition attribute to a winger). Work rate without skill can help you when you’re defending but when you’re attacking it usually sits you back. He’s not a fullback (even then we’d expect more involvement and skill from a fullback).

For me I’d get Alvarez and loan him again to his team if that’s the only way to get him. It’s about building the team rather than quick changes. We had Coutinho on loan for the jackpot this season. We can’t look short term in this half season. We might get to Europe but most likely it’s a bit tough. We’ll need 34 points to get what we got last season (which might not be enough to take us to Europe. It’s not easy at all. 

Traore and Bailey will always be useful, even if we wanted a higher level, they can change games. They might not be consistent enough but we can’t compare them with other players who might be more limited.

I still think as much as Coutinho and Digne will improve us, a new defensive midfielder transforms us as a side. It is something we have been crying out for, for years. 

It will help us keep the ball better, improve our possession stats and generally control games more. Nakamba is dogged and tenacious and Luiz is elegant and tidy, but neither can drive with the ball and really dictate the game from in front of the back 4.

I don’t know who we’re after but if Bissouma was available for £50m and the club think they can afford it (and aren’t put off by the allegations), then it’s a no brainer for me. 

We have to get it right in there and if we do, we’ll shoot up the table.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I still think as much as Coutinho and Digne will improve us, a new defensive midfielder transforms us as a side. It is something we have been crying out for, for years. 

It will help us keep the ball better, improve our possession stats and generally control games more. Nakamba is dogged and tenacious and Luiz is elegant and tidy, but neither can drive with the ball and really dictate the game from in front of the back 4.

I don’t know who we’re after but if Bissouma was available for £50m and the club think they can afford it (and aren’t put off by the allegations), then it’s a no brainer for me. 

We have to get it right in there and if we do, we’ll shoot up the table.

Yes a DM is a must if we are to move forward. Bissouma is certainly an option but our ‘interest’ was first announced by SKY Sports News - do we really believe what they say? Brighton say no approaches or offers for this player so perhaps we are looking elsewhere. Who are the DMs at Coutinho level 🥳

I personally think we’ve got a mid table standard team with the odd exceptions. Smith would finish midtable and Gerrard will probably do the same.  Whichever one of them could get the best out of the players could probably get us pushing top 8. 

It does however appear Gerrard has more pulling power in terms of new signings.  

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think we’ve got a mid table standard team with the odd exceptions. Smith would finish midtable and Gerrard will probably do the same.  Whichever one of them could get the best out of the players could probably get us pushing top 8. 

It does however appear Gerrard has more pulling power in terms of new signings.  

Personally with the addition of say around 3 top quality signings we should be pushing top 6 next season.

What's not needed is a major rebuild. We don't need to start over.

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Selling El Ghazi with more than 10m is a big steal. Same goes with Trez, anything above 5m will be the same. 
We still have Bailey to be back. Buendia, Coutinho and JPB. We need to give our youngsters a proper chances. They won’t be worse than El Ghazi or Trez for example. But atleast we know there is a potential. We developed Ramsey and now he looks like 15-20m player with potential. Now having Kesler back we should keep him as the first backup (would even rotate him at times). Now it’s officially a building season. After going out from the cup we would need a miracle to go to Europe. Although it’s still a possibility but we need to use it to improve the team. Last season we wasted the season by playing the likes of Barkley when it was clearly all lost. We haven’t even played and of our youngsters apart from Ramsey, and couple of minutes for JPB and Carney at the last two games. We can’t let the season just go without giving Kesler, JPB and Carney proper minutes and even starts. Even A.Ramsey if he didn’t go out on loan. 

Agree with this 100%.  If Europe is out of our reach, and we aren't going to be dragged into a relegation battle, if those players don't end up going on loan then they should get considerable game time in the form of rotated appearances and sub appearances.  

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We do need another CB but I’m honestly undecided on whether we splash out (limited funds, I’d rather we went heavy on DM) on a perceived upgrade and disrupt our existing partnership (risky and arguably not required) or go for a younger player with potential or pursue another loan deal for someone.

No names are instantly coming to mind, that would appear to be a solution…

I don’t think it would be wise to disrupt and try to make changes in too many positions… we have the basis of a good team. 

Be nice to get a CB in this window but as you say the priority should be a DM, possibly Kerr Smith could make up the numbers on the bench.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do wonder if Newcastle have enquired about any of our players. Surely they must want one of our shit ones. 

Premier League clubs have apparently decided they wont do business with them unless a release clause has been inserted like Wood which they cant stop

• Like 2