January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

We really are desperate for that quality DM… it would “complete” our side for the rest of this season at least imo.

The time for major changes or any kind of overhaul is in the off season. If people really see the need to upgrade at CB, then I think now is not the time for that. Attempting that now would cause more disruption than anything else imo… just need to up the concentration levels and focus. 

I personally have no issue with Konsa & Mings. I think it’s a fine partnership that was unnecessarily disturbed before SG restored it. Mings is absolutely crucial to us, the leader and organiser of our team. We struggle badly without him. Konsa is a fine defender with huge potential. 

An upgrade on Targett will really help us.

Coutinho should be an amazing signing for us and with Buendia and Bailey… I think we have a very strong attack.

Chances galore for Watkins and/or Ings.

Sorting out the midfield is crucial, it’s the highest priority. We need some strength, control and composure in there. Some physicality would be welcome too… maybe the reason our defence looks vulnerable at times is because of how unprotected and exposed it is by our midfield???

I know it’s something that often gets laughed at, but I do get concerned at the lack of height and strength in our team… we need the right balance…

It's no coincidence that the absence of Marv has meant we cannot keep a clean sheet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Our most underrated player. 

Didnt see anything to suggest he would not be a great dm for us under Gerrard. His passing in this system we have is plenty good enough. He never had the 10 yard pass options in the Smith system and he got found out. But with this system he sniffs out trouble . Such a shame that he got injured 

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's no coincidence that the absence of Marv has meant we cannot keep a clean sheet.

Marv has done well under SG but I believe we can do so much better and sign a player with more strengths/attributes. Anyway, he’s injured so the need is even greater now…

• Like 3

It doesn’t have to be or need to be Bissouma (for various reasons, including expense. I have no idea what’s going on with his legal case… I’m sure we wouldn’t take such a risk either) but someone of that “mould” and physical stature would be revolutionary for us… strength, composure on the ball, ability to retain it, pass it well, aerial ability, break up attacks and so on… we need a proper screen/shield for that defence…

I’d honestly rather sign the “next big thing” than the player everyone is banging on about and is probably overpriced, maybe even overrated... There are many options out there and players with huge potential.

But no one will argue/complain if we get him in and he would surely improve us…

After signing Coutinho… I’m genuinely excited as to who else we can attract… it’ll surely have turned a few heads… in our direction?

It's looking like Digne is on his way, and with all the ex-Big Club players at the club, I can't help make the comparison...

Aston Villa circa 1992-1994: Paul McGrath (Man U reject), Dean Saunders (Liverpool reject), Steve Staunton (Liverpool reject), Mark Bosnich (Man U reject), Kevin Richardson (Arsenal reject), Ray Houghton (Liverpool reject). Results: 1992-93 league runners-up, 1994 League Cup. (Most of them were gone for the 1996 League Cup.)

Aston Villa circa 2022: Coutinho (Barcelona reject), Digne (Barcelona reject), Douglas Luiz (Man City reject), Danny Ings (Liverpool reject), Bertrand Traoré (Chelsea reject), Ashley Young (Man U/Inter Milan reject). Result: ???

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Probably about 12th mate?

LOL 25 years without hardware has made a few pessimists around here!

Obviously too late to win anything this year, but with the way NSWE are spending, I'm daring to be optimistic about the next couple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

El Ghazi and Trezeguet out. Julian Alvarez in.

**** knows where we’ll play Buendia, Bailey or Traore but hey ho.

OMG!

I don’t know what I’ll do if we get rid of the pair of them and sign a future star in Alvarez! What a signing that would be!

But yeah, I don’t know how we fit all these players in 🤣 Competition should be healthy though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

You shouldn’t have reminded me 🤣

I’m going to hope and pray we sign Alvarez this time 🤣

(but we really, really need that DM please)…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

You shouldn’t have reminded me 🤣

I’m going to hope and pray we sign Alvarez this time 🤣

(but we really, really need that DM please)…

In all seriousness, I won’t be too bothered if we don’t replace Trezeguet. I’m counting Coutinho as a replacement for El Ghazi who I think will leave in this window.

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

The kind of problems you really want to have! Alvarez would move this into historic transfer window territory. Building some Argie-Brazillian hybrid footballing monster machine. 

• Like 2