January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

29 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

With a couple of signings and a few folk recovering from injury, we will have a properly good Premier League squad. God I hope this works. 

SG said we had our sights on players, plural, so perhaps we can expect a least one more? Presumably a DM?

Tuanzebe is off to Italy, so we need at least 1 defender to backfill him.  We're also extremely light at fullback and should be looking at more options for both RB & LB.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, a-k said:

How much would Digne cost?

Think Everton want 25 million. He was Evertons best player for a bit, and been at Barca etc so his wages would be north of 100k as well.

Edited by pas5898

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Tuanzebe is off to Italy, so we need at least 1 defender to backfill him.  We're also extremely light at fullback and should be looking at more options for both RB & LB.

We do have kesler coming back in the summer for a back up right back… young can also play either side… a left back is a must though… hickey, sosa or Digne would be great!

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

LB and CD (Loan) are realistic for January, a DM is surely a must in the summer, hopefully they have a few lined up.

If we don't get a CD in January to replace Tuanzebe, would Bogarde be able to step up to cover the rest of the season?

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not sure who I prefer of Digne or Hickey, I wonder who is first choice?

Digne is a big upgrade on Targett, but will cost quite a bit in wages/transfer fee.  Hickey would be significantly cheaper, has the potential to be better than Targett, and has performed well in Scotland and Italy so far, but he might take a bit longer to pass Targett in the pecking order.  Depends on what our ambitions are this season vs that of 1-2 seasons from now.  

Edited by KMitch

I'd prefer Hickey, younger so wouldn't need replacing in a couple of years, more potential, more versatile so can potentially cover at right-back as well, and is already performing at an high level so it's not as if he'd just be a future project, in fact given that Everton fans say that Digne has been out form for a while now it could probably be argued that he's currently performing to an higher level than Digne has been, and maybe Targett for that matter.

That said Digne has a lot of plus points too, so wouldn't exactly be disappointed with him, it's not for nothing he's played for teams like Paris Saint Germain, Barcelona, is now being linked to Chelsea, and is a full French international.

• Like 1

Prior to today I would have considered we would have had no chance of signing Denis Zakaria. However the news today that Coutinho's joining us changes the odds. The size, strength and pace of Zakaria would be a huge plus in our DM position. In comparison with our soft underbelly it would be like installing a mobile barn door in a critically weak area. He's out of contract this summer and so called "big clubs" are sniffing around him now with the view to signing him on a free in a few months time. Borussia would snatch a decent fee right now rather than lose him for nothing, and Zakaria might just be persuaded by a good offer from a club that Coutinho has just joined.

• Like 2

after the mind blowing signing of Coutinho, we need 3 more players to make this a near perfect window i think!?

LB : Hickey, Digne, Sosa or Tagliafico.

CB: Probably a loan to take us to the summer window?

DM : Zakaria, B.Kamara, someone else?

I think the LB & DM roles are critical to sort, if we can sort them and have Coutinho, we would look a very different prospect i think.

• Like 1

DM is the big one for me now. If we can't sign a LB this window we can make do with Targett and Young. Though, with Nakamba out for the rest of the season and Gerrards way of playing, we're desperate for a DM. I'm surprised there haven't been more links to a DM tbh. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I have a feeling we're going to try and sign Kalvin Phillips, Leeds squad desperately needs strengthening so they might be reluctantly open to selling him.

Someone in this thread a while back saying they'd heard from a Leeds fan we'd already placed a bid for him. If that isnt ITK I dont know what is. 

It would be so so good if we managed to pull that off (cue Kenneth) for many reasons. I think the fact he is a very good player and exactly what we need wouldn't even be in the top two. 

Definitely won't happen..... but I would have said that about signing a guy currently paid 300k a week a few days ago. 

Funny old game as they say. 

38 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Digne is a big upgrade on Targett, but will cost quite a bit in wages/transfer fee.  Hickey would be significantly cheaper, has the potential to be better than Targett, and has performed well in Scotland and Italy so far, but he might take a bit longer to pass Targett in the pecking order.  Depends on what our ambitions are this season vs that of 1-2 seasons from now.  

This is why I think we should go Hickey. The £15m we put into Targett is still a big investment for a RB. We can spend the cash but having £40-50m worth of Leftbacks in the team and binning Targett (either through sale or by sitting him on the bench indefinitely) is still a huge investment for a club like ours.

Particularly after the kind of season Targett had last year. He's very capable.

Hickey gives us a younger option, a developmental one - we can still upgrade on Targett with him, but it doesn't completely bomb out a useful member of the squad and a good player on his day.

It gives him a real chance of maintaining his place and us making good on our investment in him but also planning for the future and a vision where he doesn't quite cut it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I have a feeling we're going to try and sign Kalvin Phillips, Leeds squad desperately needs strengthening so they might be reluctantly open to selling him.

I've had this feeling too. 
Now, I don't for one second think it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'd enquired. Leeds desperately need to invest in their squad and they have very little money to do so. £35-45m through the door for Kalvin Phillips (pure profit on their books) will help them sign 2/3 players to do just that.

Like I say, I can't see it happening, but stranger things have happened. Like Coutinho moving to Villa.