January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

24 minutes ago, sne said:

Can't see us selling Mings to Newcastle and I think they will look at other targets than him. 

We'll already be 2 CB's down in the summer (or even earlier) with Tuanzebe leaving and Hause depending on his contract extended or not. Would mean we'd have to buy 3 new CB's, seems like a silly strategy as we have other needs too.

Agree. Why would we let Newcastle strengthen? I hope they go down this season just to slow the imminent dumping of money on players. Man City were very strategic when they were rebuilding about not only buying good players but taking them from immediate rivals for higher positions in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

This lad has been really reliable, so mostly to be trusted, I’d say. 

A loan until the end of the season for Coutinho would be incredible, but unlikely. 

This is the kind of signing that would worry me, could be a very expensive disaster waiting to happen. The exact kind of signing I see Newcastle making.

But suppose he has the ability for sure ... that we've all seen in the past.

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

This is the kind of signing that would worry me, could be a very expensive disaster waiting to happen. The exact kind of signing I see Newcastle making.

But suppose he has the ability for sure ... that we've all seen in the past.

On the other hand, he could also be a Robinho-type signing for us and kick start a new wave of higher profile signings at Villa Park.  Not saying I'm sure he would be a success, but Gerrard played with him and knows what he is like as a teammate and on the training ground.  If he wants him badly enough for him to be our record signing by quite a bit, I'm 100% for it.

For transparency sake I should add that I've previously suggested selling Ings to Newcastle IF they made a exorbitant offer and we had a replacement like say Julian Alvarez lined up :)

2 minutes ago, sne said:

For transparency sake I should add that I've previously suggested selling Ings to Newcastle IF they made a exorbitant offer and we had a replacement like say Julian Alvarez lined up :)

Definitely. Newcastle will find good players from somewhere and clubs will profit well from their short-term desperation. May as well be us. Ings for Alvarez or Mings for (eg) Hermoso benefits Villa, and that’s really all we can concern ourselves with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich192 said:

This lad has been really reliable, so mostly to be trusted, I’d say. 

A loan until the end of the season for Coutinho would be incredible, but unlikely. 

Incredibly bad move 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Baffled by people calling for Mings to be sold.  He is no where near being the weakest link in this team.  He is an England international in his prime, who is an extremely intelligent and respected leader in the dressing room.  I don't see anyone higher up than us in the table coming in for him and I don't see Newcastle bidding stupid money for him.  He makes the occasional mistake on the pitch, but he more than makes up for it off of it.  I can see him turning into more of a rotational type player in a few seasons if he doesn't progress with us up the table (Think Wes Morgan and Leicester), but he's one of the few names absolutely nailed on the teamsheet every week for me, right behind Martinez and McGinn.  

Your definition of "calling to be sold" and what people have stated are miles different. If Newcastle came in with a big fee we should accept it (realistically not in Jan) if we have say Gomez lined up or signed. Every player has a price and large fees for players 28/29 years old+ is ideal for us

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Your definition of "calling to be sold" and what people have stated are miles different. If Newcastle came in with a big fee we should accept it (realistically not in Jan) if we have say Gomez lined up or signed. Every player has a price and large fees for players 28/29 years old+ is ideal for us

See below for the comments I was referring to which were posted before the "What if Newcastle threw stupid money at us for him" type speculation...

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He is but given Gerrard was pretty evasive when asked on captaincy early on I don't think he's really sold on Mings long term.

Kons and Gomez both came through at Charlton at around the same time, did they ever play together? Although that would mean one shifting to left side and we've seen before balance issues if you play two right footed CBs together.

I do think he's a realistic target for us though so wouldn't be shocked at all to see us make a move next month. 

3 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Give Gerard time, Mings will be one of the first he will replace given the chance.

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Could see Mings going to the Geordie Arabs for a good £50M+, which would be good business if we could get a really top drawer replacement. 

That Hermoso link last summer fits the profile Lange/Gerrard would want in, but seems a bit unrealistic(!) unless he fancies a go at the Prem.

We need to improve the squad by signing better players and selling those that aren't playing. Not by signing better players and selling those currently in the first 11. If we sign a CB it should be to really challenge Mings and Konsa, and possibly push one of them down to a squad player role, as opposed to selling one of them on straight away and sticking with Hause as backup.

The starting 11 should never pick itself because the gap in quality across the squad is so vast.

Edited by jacketspuds

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

See below for the comments I was referring to which were posted before the "What if Newcastle threw stupid money at us for him" type speculation...

None of those comments say "we need to get rid of Mings" or we need to "drop him and sell him". All saying we need a new CB prmarily and if we got an offer of 50 mil for Mings we should sell

Mings is one of our best and most important players, there's no way we will be selling him to any team least of all a team like Newcastle. If we sold him he would be nowhere near as easily replaced as some seem to think, it's not just his footballing ability that would need replacing but his leadership and organizational qualities. People are very naive if they think it would be easy to sell Mings for around £30m and bring in someone better, it wouldn't be easy even if Newcastle were to offer £50m as suggest above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Eh? I wasn’t calling for Mings to be sold, but that I could see it happening if they offer £50M+. That would be hard to turn down for a player of his age if we had a suitable replacement lined up. 

Seems like you’re looking for an anti-Mings agenda that isn’t there.

1 hour ago, villaslash said:

Agree. Why would we let Newcastle strengthen? I hope they go down this season just to slow the imminent dumping of money on players. Man City were very strategic when they were rebuilding about not only buying good players but taking them from immediate rivals for higher positions in the league. 

I don't think we should let our hatred of Newcastle get in the way for what's best for business.

It's almost inevitable that Newcastle will get to the top eventually with the resources they have. Might as well take advantage of that while we can and bleed them for as much money as possible. If we don't some other club is going to get all that money anyway so it's not really going to affect them much.

Edited by Laughable Chimp