Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Players not performing keeps us all quiet, they need to start putting a shift in more and they might get more support.

I’d disagree the crowd get behind the team generally lifts the players . Away games we have great support . 
Even when we went down in 86 -87 the fans stuck behind the team . Today it’s completely changed not just villa it’s other grounds as well . People just want to come and shout obscenities and generally moan . The Atmosphere disappeared  a long time a go , if we’re honest we now have the occasional burst but it rarely lasts .. 

Your ground has a good atmosphere based on how well your team is playing (form).

That pretty much is always the case with any team.

If the team is shit or in our case can’t be trusted then the atmosphere will be flat.

This is how it is everywhere even the wonderful Geordies are the same.Not matter what the Commentators said tonight about how loud they would get there was little atmosphere until they scored…

Dont believe the hype if/when we get good again the atmosphere will return.UTV

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Also, our song repertoire is pretty dull, not that I would be capable of coming up with anything decent!

I haven't been to VP in 24 years, so I'm not one to talk. But it is noticeable, the same one or two songs briefly sung. 

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Also, our song repertoire is pretty dull, not that I would be capable of coming up with anything decent!

I was actually embarrassed when we started Singing ‘Champions of Europe you’ll never sing that’ to flipping Stevanage on Sunday. 

We are treading water in midtable with no cup runs to look forward and no proper derbies to play in. Our atmosphere is still better  than many PL clubs. If we play well we make more noise, like virtually every other fanbase. We have often been mentioned of a good atmosphere and a 'proper' ground since we have gone back up, especially with the evening games. Which is probably why we keep on getting the 8 pm ko's.

• Like 1

Tickets for the Leicester game went on sale to members today, I was planning to go to the game. I doubt I will now, as the club have listed it as a category A game (presumably due to Leicester being a 'local derby' - it isnt). Cheapest tickets £41, some parts of the ground £58. Ridiculous money for what is essentially a game between two unspectacular lower-half teams as it stands.

I think a lot of the good will built up between the club and fans from 2018 - 2020 has evaporated. Losing Grealish and then Smith was a factor, Gerrard was a disaster, some of our newer players are less likeable than those they've replaced, and there's a feeling of being ripped off when you consider the prices we pay for football which is often not great.

Building that good will and positive atmosphere around the club will be key to improving things at VP IMO. I think Emery probably understands this and is capable of playing his part.

I also think there's an element of us being back in midtable now. We aren't fighting for promotion, trying to avoid relegation or threatening the European places. Being a midtable team in the PL is pretty dull a lot of the time.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

To be fair I have seen some decent atmospheres this season. Man U 3-1 was great. That Stevenage game was diabolical as a spectacle though and the footy was that slow & poor that I can see why the ground fell silent.

The Wolves one was awful 1st half but much better second atmosphere wise so clearly the atmosphere is being led by the performance.I think we have a really ageing crowd too in the main due to the derth of fresh blood caused by the Sky bias & our run of poor teams & lack of trophies over the last 20 years. I have noticed too that as the UK becomes more & more multi-cultural the majority of kids are simply glory hunters as they maybe have no connection to the region historically so simply do not buy into the local team thing. As a result the ageing fanbase has less passion & is calmer maybe? 

Then you have the reactive way peoples brains work now. It's like "If I don't like it i'll instantly turn it off"  rather than when I was younger you kind of just went with it more and were generally more patient maybe? I know as a producer that pop music tracks are now a lot shorter as a result of a change in peoples "attention span". I believe this has something to do with it too somehow. A lot of it has been brought about by computers & mobile phones.

The answer for me has to start with a successful team. This will attract a new generation of fans who are more tolerant of performances maybe than old gits like me! 

I must admit having watched the Villa for over 40 years has sapped the belief out of me somewhat and this impacts on my energy on a match day. It's like you get to know the warning signs of a duff performance and instantly lose interest once they appear. Just seen it too many times maybe. Basically a lot are becoming miserable old gits lol! We need the fun & passion back which for me only a new generation of villans can bring (not discounting the many younger fans we already have of course).

A good old trophy win should do the trick.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

To be fair I have seen some decent atmospheres this season. Man U 3-1 was great. That Stevenage game was diabolical as a spectacle though and the footy was that slow & poor that I can see why the ground fell silent.

The Wolves one was awful 1st half but much better second atmosphere wise so clearly the atmosphere is being led by the performance.I think we have a really ageing crowd too in the main due to the derth of fresh blood caused by the Sky bias & our run of poor teams & lack of trophies over the last 20 years. I have noticed too that as the UK becomes more & more multi-cultural the majority of kids are simply glory hunters as they maybe have no connection to the region historically so simply do not buy into the local team thing. As a result the ageing fanbase has less passion & is calmer maybe? 

Then you have the reactive way peoples brains work now. It's like "If I don't like it i'll instantly turn it off"  rather than when I was younger you kind of just went with it more and were generally more patient maybe? I know as a producer that pop music tracks are now a lot shorter as a result of a change in peoples "attention span". I believe this has something to do with it too somehow. A lot of it has been brought about by computers & mobile phones.

The answer for me has to start with a successful team. This will attract a new generation of fans who are more tolerant of performances maybe than old gits like me! 

I must admit having watched the Villa for over 40 years has sapped the belief out of me somewhat and this impacts on my energy on a match day. It's like you get to know the warning signs of a duff performance and instantly lose interest once they appear. Just seen it too many times maybe. Basically a lot are becoming miserable old gits lol! We need the fun & passion back which for me only a new generation of villans can bring (not discounting the many younger fans we already have of course).

A good old trophy win should do the trick.

Excellent post, agree with loads of it. I actually think we have tons of young support though. I was pondering whether it makes a difference that so many people bring their kids whether they are less likely to be noisy in front of them.  I might be misguided on this though as I used to be a Holte Ender but now I take my son, we sit in Trinity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Even just watching on TV/Internet for 16-17 years, the songs have noticeably dried up, past few seasons especially badly. Used to hear the proper HEITS and the like regularly. Also haven't had enough good player songs to fill in the gaps (......maybe because we haven't had enough good players).

• Like 1

Someone has alluded to it but I think the cost plays a part. 

Whenever I watch the German footy, I cast an envious look at their fans. Banners & flags waving for 90mins, constant singing, the atmosphere in most their grounds compared to the Prem is night and day. 

I believe their ticket prices are relatively cheap. Thus they are attracting the 'proper' fans, who want to sing, who class it as a social event every match day. We and a lot of Prem clubs, attract a lot of 'day trippers', a one off here and there to take the family, fans not wholly invested in the club or what they are watching. 

A lot of European teams also have a base of 'ultra' fans. These fans literally live and breath for their club. It is probably the best thing in their life and as such, every game day they turn up and sing, chant, wave flags, win, lose or draw. I'll never forget our home game v Rapid Vienna, they brought about 800 fans. From the moment I got in the ground, they were just a wall of noise. We went ahead and it was like it hadn't happened, their songs continued, the guy on the mega phone was whipping them into a frenzy, it was brilliant and I spent more time watching them, in awe, than I did the game. At FT, with most the ground empty, ourselves & a fair few in the North Stand, milled around and clapped them. 

I'd love to see that passion in the Prem on a weekly basis. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Even just watching on TV/Internet for 16-17 years, the songs have noticeably dried up, past few seasons especially badly. Used to hear the proper HEITS and the like regularly. Also haven't had enough good player songs to fill in the gaps (......maybe because we haven't had enough good players).

There was a period where we had quite a few songs for players which would be sang regularly - Mings, El Ghazi, Hourihane, Hutton, McGinn and obviously Jack all had songs (not particularly imaginative ones on the whole admittedly). 

For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to have happened for our newer players - combination of us winning fewer games and some of the new players being less likeable would be my guess

That’s why I think we need to make Stand by Me our you’ll never walk alone. Imagine going 1-0 down and the whole ground starts singing that - the opposition will get confused and spontaneously combust and our players will get an almighty lift.

• Haha 1

It's not a VIlla problem it's an English football problem.  For those saying we just need a successful team, look at the state of Man City.

Got my annual Germany football trip coming up soon.  Night and day atmosphere wise. 

There's an argument that in England the atmosphere is more organic and when it's good it's amazing but that is so few and far between these days.  Looking forward to immersing myself in German fans with the pre-set agenda of being as noisy as possible and maybe seeing a sprinkling of pyro while I'm at it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's not a VIlla problem it's an English football problem. 

Yep, the 'hooglianism' culture is dying in England for right or wrong. It is being replaced by middle aged men bringing children and tourists going to games paying £50+ for a ticket. If you look at Germany or Sweden there's still the 'Ultras' culture (without the racism or fights) where the Ultras are typically men between the ages of 16 - 35 who go on the booze for the day and meet up with the 'tribe' for home and away matches. That's the culture that gets you good atmosphere's and it's dying a slow death in England. It's not helped by the heath and safety culture in Britain and the fact that you can't drink in the stands. In Sweden fans light flares, wait for them to burnout and hand the spent flare to a steward. No fuss, no hassle. In England 18 police officers will descend on you if you show someone a picture of a flare on your phone.  

Probably been said but it would be great if we had a walkout song that worked, like the Tennessee Volunteers (look it up on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8LLYMp4M4)

Edited by villa89

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yep, the 'hooglianism' culture is dying in England for right or wrong. It is being replaced by middle aged men bringing children and tourists going to games paying £50+ for a ticket. If you look at Germany or Sweden there's still the 'Ultras' culture (without the racism or fights) where the Ultras are typically men between the ages of 16 - 35 who go on the booze for the day and meet up with the 'tribe' for home and away matches. That's the culture that gets you good atmosphere's and it's dying a slow death in England. It's not helped by the heath and safety culture in Britain and the fact that you can't drink in the stands. In Sweden fans light flares, wait for them to burnout and hand the spent flare to a steward. No fuss, no hassle. In England 18 police officers will descend on you if you show someone a picture of a flare on your phone.  

Probably been said but it would be great if we had a walkout song that worked, like the Tennessee Volunteers (look it up on YouTube)

I agree with a lot of this but presumably the ST holders in the Holte have had them since the Championship days and before and even the Holte is silent for long periods.

I think our mid tableness and complete inability to progress either up the table or in cups is playing a part. We need some momentum.

57 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's not a VIlla problem it's an English football problem.

Got my annual Germany football trip coming up soon.  Night and day atmosphere wise.

This and this.

A long way to go in this country to even get close to other places though. From the pricing, not just games but public transport as well, to policing and many other things.

Not to say more couldn't be done here, despite the restrictive culture. That Palace ultra group seem to do a decent job. And the more these groups appear and are successful, the more I think fan pressure can be applied to improve things for fans.

Edited by tomsky_11

12 hours ago, av1 said:

I was actually embarrassed when we started Singing ‘Champions of Europe you’ll never sing that’ to flipping Stevanage on Sunday. 

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I heard that! Beyond cringey, luckily it didn’t get going.

Huh?! Surely that's only cringey if you think that was being sung seriously. I'd have thought it was not.

Â