Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

44 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I really don't get the concept of half n half scarves...When did it start?, .........putting on a scarf with an oppositions colours on it would make me want to wash in dettol or bleach.

What about a Villa and SMA half n half?, bet they would not sell many of them!

In the 1970's if you got seen wearing anything other than Villa colours around VP match you were liable to invite "trouble", different times thank goodness

Might be my age playing me up, but IIRC late 70's/80's wasn't there a craze for Rangers/Celtic hats and scarves with your English club as the other half?

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I really don't get the concept of half n half scarves...When did it start?, .........putting on a scarf with an oppositions colours on it would make me want to wash in dettol or bleach.

What about a Villa and SMA half n half?, bet they would not sell many of them!

In the 1970's if you got seen wearing anything other than Villa colours around VP match you were liable to invite "trouble", different times thank goodness

I don’t get fans that support two PL teams either.  I’m starting to see a bit more of it and it weirds me out.  Would’ve got a beating when I was a kid if you said you supported two teams in the same league.  It just feels wrong, I don’t understand how the loyalty works or the stress for that matter…Villa stress me enough so two teams would finish me off.  It’s a big no-no….the half and half scarf while less weird, still is weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is this the place to admit I bought a half and half Villa-Ajax scarf? 

I was young and stupid at the time. I must have had a sense of the historic occasion as we have yet to have such a glamour European tie since.

I get half and half scarfs for tourists to commemorate the day but real fans would not touch them.

The Villa/Ajax one was released by the club I believe as was the other home tie that year maybe a little memento of the game is OK for special ones.

My old fella got really bent out of shape about it and said 'why would you want to buy a scarf with the opposition on it?' which I do agree with but he was a permanent match-goer during the 70s where I believe it was a ritual that whoever the opposition were that day had a scarf burnt in the Holte End! The good old days. 😆

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Yet Spurs fans are some of the quietest I've ever not heard. They boo them constantly and are never happy 

They are mate, see my thoughts on this further up the thread. I really don't want the redeveloped Villa Park to be like their new stadium atmosphere-wise!

My comment relating to Spurs that you responded to was about the amount of tourists they get in the ground now they're a bit more successful than they were (despite still not winning anything) and playing regular Champions League football. 

3 minutes ago, wedge said:

They are mate, see my thoughts on this further up the thread. I really don't want the redeveloped Villa Park to be like their new stadium atmosphere-wise!

I don't think that's the stadium's fault just their crappy sanitised fans.

For a new stadium, it's quite closed in and close to the action and I imagine the acoustics would be quite good in there.

12 minutes ago, wedge said:

My old fella got really bent out of shape about it and said 'why would you want to buy a scarf with the opposition on it?' which I do agree with but he was a permanent match-goer during the 70s where I believe it was a ritual that whoever the opposition were that day had a scarf burnt in the Holte End! The good old days. 😆

The bonding because of the hatred of the opposition created great atmosphere at Villa Park.  I’m not talking about the disgraceful violence but just the bonding against the opposition, standing in Holte was brilliant in my younger days.  Now the seating and all the families, other fans, and dilution of the older stuff has watered down the atmosphere at Villa Park and most grounds to be fair.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wedge said:

burn, burn, burn you bastard, burn, burn, burn you bastard, burn burn burn you bastard, burn you bastard (insert name of club) scarf 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The bonding because of the hatred of the opposition created great atmosphere at Villa Park.  I’m not talking about the disgraceful violence but just the bonding against the opposition, standing in Holte was brilliant in my younger days.  Now the seating and all the families, other fans, and dilution of the older stuff has watered down the atmosphere at Villa Park and most grounds to be fair.

I'm all for it! It's not tiddlywinks (or rugby) after all. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid4ever said:

Might be my age playing me up, but IIRC late 70's/80's wasn't there a craze for Rangers/Celtic hats and scarves with your English club as the other half?

you are correct, also a chant on the Holte of Celtic/Rangers (as well as tizwaz/swapshop) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If we score early against Leeds on Friday then it will be a great atmosphere I think, under the lights, beating a shithouse team we all hate… 

It will be good, it shouldn't require us scoring early to be a great atmosphere but that's exactly what we're discussing here and the likes of Project B6/North Stand Syndicate are looking to address.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I don't think that's the stadium's fault just their crappy sanitised fans.

For a new stadium, it's quite closed in and close to the action and I imagine the acoustics would be quite good in there.

They were in the North West Corner where 3,000 of us were! 😉

It's not the stadium's fault at all - it's the fact they have so many more tourists, vloggers/ground-hoppers etc now they've got that stadium and charge high ticket prices and lay in the Champions League regularly. We can't allow the redeveloped and fantastic Villa Park to become like it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wedge said:

It will be good, it shouldn't require us scoring early to be a great atmosphere but that's exactly what we're discussing here and the likes of Project B6/North Stand Syndicate are looking to address.

Yeah it’ll be great I think. The reason I say if we score early, is if we dont then it might get a bit cagey

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

you are correct, also a chant on the Holte of Celtic/Rangers (as well as tizwaz/swapshop) 

Also remember "Staffordshire" & "Warwickshire" being chanted along with "The left side v right side" of course which has been mentioned before. See it's those kind of chants I miss, "Cockney scum get out of brum" etc. Used to create a pretty hostile atmosphere. Now it's mainly the same songs sung at almost every ground. Especially by away fans with the 

"This is a library", "Who are ya", Your support is F*****G S**T etc etc. Just about every set of fans sing those regardless of the ground they're at or what the actual atmosphere is like regardless. 

I remember a couple of really tall skinny twins who wore the thick rimmed black national health spectacles. They must have been in their late 20's or 30's back in the 80's. But the songs they used to sing were hilarious & so original. They used to go to all the away games too, as did I, and I always used to go stand by them if i saw them as it was such a laugh. I cannot repeat most of the chants as they would now be deemed inappropriate (Another problem with the atmosphere these days I feel). Anyone remember those guys? They used to stand in the Holte too I believe.

1 hour ago, wedge said:

My comment relating to Spurs that you responded to was about the amount of tourists they get in the ground now they're a bit more successful than they were (despite still not winning anything) and playing regular Champions League football. 

Yeah I realised that after reading again, they'll never win anything the poor sods

14 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Also remember "Staffordshire" & "Warwickshire" being chanted along with "The left side v right side" of course which has been mentioned before. See it's those kind of chants I miss, "Cockney scum get out of brum" etc. Used to create a pretty hostile atmosphere. Now it's mainly the same songs sung at almost every ground. Especially by away fans with the 

"This is a library", "Who are ya", Your support is F*****G S**T etc etc. Just about every set of fans sing those regardless of the ground they're at or what the actual atmosphere is like regardless. 

I remember a couple of really tall skinny twins who wore the thick rimmed black national health spectacles. They must have been in their late 20's or 30's back in the 80's. But the songs they used to sing were hilarious & so original. They used to go to all the away games too, as did I, and I always used to go stand by them if i saw them as it was such a laugh. I cannot repeat most of the chants as they would now be deemed inappropriate (Another problem with the atmosphere these days I feel). Anyone remember those guys? They used to stand in the Holte too I believe.

We’ve got a werewolf, we’ve got a werewolf you ain’t 🤣

• Like 2

Had a season ticket from our relegation season to first season back in the Prem and going to the Villa was the one thing I looked forward to every week, even if at times it was pretty bad. 

Can’t go as often at all now and the worst thing is I don’t even really miss it. The place just feels miserable. 

20 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

No it’s not mate . I’ve been to plenty of away grounds where the home team has struggled . But the fans stay behind the team. 
We could go on a 10 game winning streak and it would still be a struggle in the ground for atmosphere. It’s how it is now . We have occasional periodic game that’s electric in the stadium but they are few and far between. 

So it’s just us then….I stand corrected.

Â