The Holy Trinity Show

Dave-R

But looking at form over a longer period than the season can show long term trends and TBH with Dean it did very clearly! He couldn't find an answer to no Jack! Gerrard has never had the Grealish problem so it isn't a problem.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Wurzel said:

But looking at form over a longer period than the season can show long term trends and TBH with Dean it did very clearly! He couldn't find an answer to no Jack! Gerrard has never had the Grealish problem so it isn't a problem.

I don't really agree with this. The Grealish problem is that he is THAT good. His ability to hold up the ball, win free kicks, slow things down helped our defence a lot. His ball carrying made our transition out of defence far more effective, and his creativity, him basically being almost impossible to press, and ability to beat players meant he made us better in every department. The problem Gerrard has is he doesn’t have a Grealish at all. This is a midtable team at its best right now.

I like it. He's very engaging. Disagree with some points, agree with others (which is normal). Found his bit about what Gerrard and Beale could bring to the club made me a little more optimistic.

I generally agree with him about Purslow. I don’t know Purslow so there is no like or hate involved, I just think Purslow is a guy motivated by money (like most businessmen), goes that extra mile in brown-nosing (fake sheik stuff is what I base this on), appears rather smug, alway says the right thing in public. A very savvy communicator. You don't get to where he is without being able to make ruthless decisions, you also don't get very far without being good at networking. That's where his strengths lie. So when he says Purslow isn't a football guy he is right. Villa is a business at the end of the day, so it's fine for a business man to run Villa.

I do feel that the owners need a football guy to report to them, hired by them. I think the problem with football club structure is the CEO / MD makes footballing Decisions without really having the expertise. So the DoF should be the owner's guy, not the CEO's. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Wurzel said:

good point.

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has gone from being quite analytical and thoughtful, the critical thinking persons Villa Podcast, to just another whinging little bitch. And we've a few of those already. 

Generally I've found all the sycophantic bullishit surrounding Smith's dismissal nauseating, so perhaps I should have expected it. 

😀I am not on my own then....well said Dave.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I'm on the fence with this guy. Its a slick production, the analysis can be incisive, he's enthusiastic. But he's also pretty annoying and his delivery gets tedious.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

I have watched all his video's and enjoyed them for the analytical and presentation purposes....I like Pete and his presentations, however.

His last one on Dean Smiths departure, was irritating for me...and very disappointing.

Dean was a popular figure and I get that......but I am an Aston Villa supporter, not a Dean Smith or Steven Gerrard supporter, even though, I would support them while they are our manager.

I thought he was less than empathetic to the clubs undoubted disappointment, it come to this and this was not portrayed in his last but one video.

We are in a precarious position right now, and I don't think Pete got that point over very well....it was presented like some sort of vendetta and shooting from the hip,scenario....which I found very distasteful.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I don't really agree with this. The Grealish problem is that he is THAT good. His ability to hold up the ball, win free kicks, slow things down helped our defence a lot. His ball carrying made our transition out of defence far more effective, and his creativity, him basically being almost impossible to press, and ability to beat players meant he made us better in every department. The problem Gerrard has is he doesn’t have a Grealish at all. This is a midtable team at its best right now.

You are right about Jack.....all the more reason, why the distinction, between Jack and the rest, was not worked on to better affect.....some of the first touches and ball control, was sub standard, from the other players..it seems we sat on our hands and watched that, with impunity.

some of our players of late have been getting away with championship standards.

I haven’t watched it but I imagine he is going off the gut feeling Smith should’ve been given more time which in truth is one I resonate with but ce la vie, we are here now and I’m looking forward to seeing how Gerrard can freshen it up, which I genuinely think he will, so whilst I’m sad that Deans gone I’m also excited by what Gerrard can bring. 

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I like it. He's very engaging. Disagree with some points, agree with others (which is normal). Found his bit about what Gerrard and Beale could bring to the club made me a little more optimistic.

I generally agree with him about Purslow. I don’t know Purslow so there is no like or hate involved, I just think Purslow is a guy motivated by money (like most businessmen), goes that extra mile in brown-nosing (fake sheik stuff is what I base this on), appears rather smug, alway says the right thing in public. A very savvy communicator. You don't get to where he is without being able to make ruthless decisions, you also don't get very far without being good at networking. That's where his strengths lie. So when he says Purslow isn't a football guy he is right. Villa is a business at the end of the day, so it's fine for a business man to run Villa.

I do feel that the owners need a football guy to report to them, hired by them. I think the problem with football club structure is the CEO / MD makes footballing Decisions without really having the expertise. So the DoF should be the owner's guy, not the CEO's. 

It all surrounds managing up, and if you are of a weak nature, you take the easy option....Doug Ellis was infamous for eeking out weak managers. You have to be on top of your own game sufficiently to argue back or stand your ground....When you have a questionable performance record. i.e results sequence, its hard to shout up for yourself.

Its not the CEO's fault for having a demanding nature, as a manager, its your fault for standing for it.....Bosses, deep down like Strong subordinates, it makes them feel stronger and more confident, sure respect and protocol has to be observed....I have no idea about Purslow either, but don't blame a CEO, for tough decisions, thats what he is employed for.....I want strong leaders in my football club, not shrinking violets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Have a feeling this guy reads this thread. Wonder how he feels about what's being said about him on here.

Yeah I did think that and I feel bad for saying he sounds like a little bitch in the last couple of videos, but it's nothing I wouldn't say to any of you if it were within the rules. I'm sure he isn't *actually* a little bitch. 

My issue is probably with the human race in general. It's ok to say "I don't know" sometimes and then explore ideas. It's also a problem with a one man show, there's no balancing voice opposite him. Even when there is on these shows it never gets heated, they always want to dance around one another. It's all too "matey", except I love arguing with my mates when they're talking bollocks! 

I'll still subscribe, but I might just leave him on the naughty step for a while to calm down. 

• Like 2

I like Pete, he’s analytical, intelligent and wears his heart on his sleeve.

He has an opinion which can challenge people at times, and makes you consider situations with different view points.

As I said in an earlier post the rest of the pods are a bit same same for me and we’re here debating one particular pod, which for me, means he’s doing a good job.

Watching the latest pod though, he needs to move on, for the first time I cringed at some of the comments after giving him a pass mark on the contentious one.

Im sure he’ll get back on track and leave the ego at the door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Pete’s had these issues before as he shows brief clips of passages of play in his vlogs 

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Edited by Strog

3 minutes ago, Strog said:

I think Pete’s had these issues before as he shows brief clips of passages of play in his vlogs 

Aye. They are heavily filtered and never longer than ~5 seconds - but that is copyright.

• Like 1

Â