The Holy Trinity Show

Dave-R

7 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

another good analysis - not just about West Ham, but our first 10 games. This guy deserves more views than the 2-3k he's currently getting.

I don't think he is bang on the money at all. He highlights many issues that we all see then makes arguments as to why nothing is Smiths fault. 

He's basically spent 22 mins saying the team are shit, nobody is stepping up, things aren't right but it's not Smiths fault. 

Supporters who are moving towards replacing Smith are some crack pot crowd who have no clue about football.  

He makes a great argument for sacking Smith then goes down on him. 

FFS. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bloody hell, I could do without the sanctimonious lecture about society and how humanity has failed at the start.
Edit:. My advice is skip past the first 4:30 minutes.
edit2: Now fans are "hysterical" ffs, are you Steve Bruce in disguise?
edit3: Ok I gave up. Sorry thats just unwatchable for me. The constant berating of fans and the owners and media is just too much.

But its an emotional sport, he is entitled to his opinion.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Turned off after 2 minutes.  He's criticising society and fans for not doing research and then does the EXACT same thing himself.  Basically his whole assumption (and he's clearly done no research on this at all) is that the criticism of Smith is purely down to the last 5 matches.  Which is 100% b0ll0cks.  The crowd haven't turned on him.  The criticism he has faced on SM and boards like this has not been hysterical.  I've probably posted concerns about Smith more than most over the last 18 months or so.  This has nothing to do with not liking Smith or not wanting him to do well but due to concerns that research and data suggested we should be having despite how much our league position suggested we were improving.  He talks about looking at short term results and ignoring the bigger and longer term picture and then does exactly the same (highlighting good performances here and there rather than long term trends).  By far the worst video that he has produced.  If he wants to do some proper research and journalism - I am more than happy to talk about why trends that have existed at our club over the last 2 years have caused me concern, why I hoped that Smith would turn it around, why I am pleased that we can look back at his tenure with considerable pride and why I think we messed up by not doing this back in June / July.  Sure it would have been incredibly ruthless, would have upset lots of fans but what has happened since then and the logic for moving on is not new.  I am far from hysterical, far from looking at the short term.  The only criticism he raises of which I am guilty is that I am not on the inside and so can't see what is happening behind the scenes.  Maybe the issues I have flagged are not ultimately Dean's fault, maybe others are equally to blame.  Is a new manager the answer?  Who knows.  But the data and trends suggest that there are issues that Smith has had plenty of time to address in order to save his job.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Bloody hell, I could do without the sanctimonious lecture about society and how humanity has failed at the start.
edit3: Ok I gave up. Sorry thats just unwatchable for me. The constant berating of fans and the owners and media is just too much.

Yeah but I you listen to it properly he's not wrong.,

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, allani said:

Turned off after 2 minutes.  He's criticising society and fans for not doing research and then does the EXACT same thing himself.  Basically his whole assumption (and he's clearly done no research on this at all) is that the criticism of Smith is purely down to the last 5 matches.  Which is 100% b0ll0cks.  The crowd haven't turned on him.  The criticism he has faced on SM and boards like this has not been hysterical.  I've probably posted concerns about Smith more than most over the last 18 months or so.  This has nothing to do with not liking Smith or not wanting him to do well but due to concerns that research and data suggested we should be having despite how much our league position suggested we were improving.  He talks about looking at short term results and ignoring the bigger and longer term picture and then does exactly the same (highlighting good performances here and there rather than long term trends).  By far the worst video that he has produced.  If he wants to do some proper research and journalism - I am more than happy to talk about why trends that have existed at our club over the last 2 years have caused me concern, why I hoped that Smith would turn it around, why I am pleased that we can look back at his tenure with considerable pride and why I think we messed up by not doing this back in June / July.  Sure it would have been incredibly ruthless, would have upset lots of fans but what has happened since then and the logic for moving on is not new.  I am far from hysterical, far from looking at the short term.  The only criticism he raises of which I am guilty is that I am not on the inside and so can't see what is happening behind the scenes.  Maybe the issues I have flagged are not ultimately Dean's fault, maybe others are equally to blame.  Is a new manager the answer?  Who knows.  But the data and trends suggest that there are issues that Smith has had plenty of time to address in order to save his job.

He is right though, we do not know what goes on inside our club and we're either on one side of the fence or the other. Most of us do not do any digging up and often I myself am included in that. Same as reporters, they cater to clicks, Views and where the majority flog to see a story so at the same time it matters not if the news being reported is fake because the news is doing its job which is making money. Social media has made most of us worse and its certainly made reporters worse.

He talks a lot of sense, and points out the pitfalls of getting a new manager at this time. The only thing I would say is I don't think Dean was sacked just because of the last 5 games. His record without Jack is absolutely woeful and in general the last 11 months have been pretty poor.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

He talks a lot of sense, and points out the pitfalls of getting a new manager at this time. The only thing I would say is I don't think Dean was sacked just because of the last 5 games. His record without Jack is absolutely woeful and in general the last 11 months have been pretty poor.

The more I look at it I think one thing Smith got sacked for is not being ruthless enough when required. Players seem to have took the piss with him and he had to kind a heart, no discipline.

He's also right that Purslow himself could be on the line next if he doesn't get the next appointment right. Makes you wonder if Purslow is looking in every corner for every penny he can find to bring in a Journeyman. Imagine if Purslow brings someone who doesn't do anything with this squad then Purslow himself could face the firing squad.

It's all starting to feel like we've not done evolving and there's plenty of changing to be done so we fit back in this league again.

Edited by Dave-R

I just don't think he found the answers to our problems in midfield, and there were no signs he was going to. We made the mistake in the summer that our defence was good enough and unfortunately it isn't, we clearly need a left back and a centre back, and we needed them to be improvements on what we had, not a loanee from a rival who isn't good enough for them. Also it was very clear we needed a defensive midfielder, and that didn't happen. I don't think the finger pointing helps in that video, I've seen no gloating from people wanting Smith out, we are in a very dangerous position and the board need to make the right appointment or we could be going down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

Shame you turned off.

You missed:

- McGinn and Mings not being good enough and needing replacing

- Purslow's reputation

- The lack of a ready replacement

- The general trend of clubs doing worse when managers are replaced mid season

- Lange and our imbalanced squad

All of which are good points, even if you don't agree with his take on society (and, for what it's worth, as an old man who's career is in technology - I agree with him).

Despite all this, not many managers survive losing 5 in a row. I hoped Dean Smith would be able to stop the rot, but I have little confidence in how we are playing. I thought he was done when we lost 4-0 to Leicester but Covid saved him. There was nothing to save him this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I came in to say this. I genuinely love this guy's show I watch it every time I can. Last show for example I pissed myself when he very darkly crashed our plane that was destined for Europe, I didn't expect it. But this episode was sadly wide of the mark. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I just don't think he found the answers to our problems in midfield, and there were no signs he was going to. We made the mistake in the summer that our defence was good enough and unfortunately it isn't, we clearly need a left back and a centre back, and we needed them to be improvements on what we had, not a loanee from a rival who isn't good enough for them. Also it was very clear we needed a defensive midfielder, and that didn't happen. I don't think the finger pointing helps in that video, I've seen no gloating from people wanting Smith out, we are in a very dangerous position and the board need to make the right appointment or we could be going down.

Some of our fans from what I understand and been reading from tweets of John Gregory is asking for fans to stop hurling abuse at Smith, so I think there has been abit of it..

I believe your right in that we needed more players and we still had money to spend to buy the players you suggest. It's a tough one because now Smith has gone it's a good job money was held back as a precaution but how Well would Smith of done if he'd of got those players you suggest in??

The finger pointing I think someone has to do it and he has the balls to say us fans have not helped and we've helped out along with the media who enjoy fear mongering in the demise of Smith. Certainly I'd say we fans did not help one bit and the Owners probably have these sites being monitored for fan feedback.

Think the only thing now is to bring someone continental in, but then if we do that we may see a return to 3-5-2 as its a popular formation with foreign Managers. 

People keep clinging to this notion that the fans are responsible for Dean going.

At the end of the day, if the board had come out with a statement, acknowledging the problems, and that they were backing Dean to turn it around, and would support him in January, most of us would have just followed suit and gotten on with it.

Believe it or not, THE BOARD know more about the goings on at the club, than us emotional randoms on a message board.

Purslows statement was CLEAR about why they decided to let him go, add this statement, to the portion of his last end of season wrap up where he expressed some dissappointment.

They obviously had no faith in him to turn it around, and the indications would be that they had started losing faith, some time ago.

Fans weren't protesting or booing ffs 

People just want someone to blame other than the Manager and the club.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Some of our fans from what I understand and been reading from tweets of John Gregory is asking for fans to stop hurling abuse at Smith, so I think there has been abit of it..

I believe your right in that we needed more players and we still had money to spend to buy the players you suggest. It's a tough one because now Smith has gone it's a good job money was held back as a precaution but how Well would Smith of done if he'd of got those players you suggest in??

The finger pointing I think someone has to do it and he has the balls to say us fans have not helped and we've helped out along with the media who enjoy fear mongering in the demise of Smith. Certainly I'd say we fans did not help one bit and the Owners probably have these sites being monitored for fan feedback.

Think the only thing now is to bring someone continental in, but then if we do that we may see a return to 3-5-2 as its a popular formation with foreign Managers. 

Your seriously wide of the mark if you think this is the fault of the fans ffs. The real Villa fans have done nothing but back Smith from day one, regardless of any personal reservations. For people to start finger pointing at fans is taking the piss. We are where we are because of those making the decisions to do with first team matters. Not the fans. 

Â