Pre Match thread

VillaChris

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So good to be back at the ground.

All the up and downs of the summer window disappear and all that matters is the next couple of hours.  

Martinez comes out to warm up and it’s like being a kid again even though I’m 44.  

I’m so grateful that we’ve been able to watch it all on tv over the last 18 months during Covid but being at the ground, just nothing beats it.

C’mon Villa!

Boooo thought you was coming Rome with me Nick 🤣

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

Newcastle’s 11 makes me feel a lot better. Ours looks far stronger IMO.

Big game for Luiz. I reckon he’ll be right on it and we’ll win.

Edited by JB

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If Targett isn't fit, why did he start last week? 

If he is fit, getting immediately benched after one bad half seems pretty cutthroat treatment for the player's POTY.

Sort it out, Smith.

Young is better, simples.

Just now, Dave-R said:

I hope your right because that team isnt good Chris.

Buendia has to run this show, he has to be a thorn in Newcastle's side for 90mins.

Well we have injuries. Ollie and Bailey would've been certain starters for sure today, perhaps Traore instead of AEG aswell so it's difficult when squad is being restructured and a couple of certain startes aren't options.

We still have a top class keeper playing, Mings-Konsa, hopefully goal last week will mean McGinn will chip in with a few goals in next few weeks. Maybe El Ghazi will hit the top corner from 25 yards at some stage

Today will be tougher with the injuries but I don't quite subscribe to its all doom and gloom just yet. If Newcastle turn us over then yes I will as it will mean we'll likely be around bottom 3 until November with the fixtures we have coming up in next 10 weeks.

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Could do with a Danny Ings masterclass in finishing today. Ramsey Buendia McGinn need to be full of energy which they normally are. Come on lets just rack up some points and get players back to fitness.

It could do with Ings being his usual goal thievery self today, he's done it enough at Southampton and he could also be another who unlocks a Newcastle defence. Ings is good in tight spots and can do remarkable things in small gaps and very quickly to.

6 minutes ago, JB said:

Newcastle’s 11 makes me feel a lot better. Ours looks far stronger IMO.

Big game for Luiz. I reckon he’ll be right on it and we’ll win.

Don't be fooled by their 11 - they still have Gayle on the bench who will score his regular inevitable goal against us

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Actually.

Which side do Maximin play on?

I think that he plays on their left/our right, which means he's up against Cash.

25 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I now think Smith may have screwed up again relying on his weakness of placing to much confidence in Ghazi.

I don't think that he has that much confidence in Ghaz. If Traore or Bailey were fit, he would not be starting Ghaz.

I'm not sure whether he's planning on using Ghaz on our right again, but Ghaz does not have the pace to track back and help out against Maximin. I hope that's not our undoing today.

Edited by TomC
Clarified left/right