Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Funny you mention the three as a whole lacking technical quality. I'd say that Watkins is the only one of three that's lacking in that area?

I should have added creatvity to technical quality. But yes Ings technique is good, but not top quality or even a particular strength. To me Ing is a good well rounded player. Got a bit of everything, but only his finishing really stands out. Take out one of those strikers for Coutinho then the creativity and technical quality isn't lacking anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I should have added creatvity to technical quality. But yes Ings technique is good, but not top quality or even a particular strength. To me Ing is a good well rounded player. Got a bit of everything, but only his finishing really stands out. Take out one of those strikers for Coutinho then the creativity and technical quality isn't lacking anymore.

Very fair point! Swapping out Watkins (in particular) for a natural creator would be a huge difference.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Very fair point! Swapping out Watkins (in particular) for a natural creator would be a huge difference.

The problem with Ings is he isn't going to stretch teams the way Watkins does. Ideally we need a striker who can stretch teams like Watkins, but has more finesse. A sweeter touch, more clinical in front of goal, better in congested areas. Ings isn't suited to playing with Buendia AND Coutinho, that front 3 lacks the threat in behind, and on the counter. You need at least one player in attack at least has that acceleration and top speed.

If we play Buendia and Coutinho we need pace in front of them, and runners around them. So that means overlaping fullbacks, and at least one central midfielder breaking from deep looking to get in the box. Those two need the runners provide passing options and to create more space for them. If we do that, then the other two central midfielder need to be defensively minded, ideally a sitter and a ball winner.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Turning 30 and i doubt his stock won't be any higher the smarter clubs would cash in.

I don’t agree. 30 is not that old and he is a quality player. Even now we wouldn’t get close to what we paid so I don’t see the point in selling. We paid £30m for a few good years, and we will get them then move on when he can’t cut the mustard. He was never going to be an investment of any kind and I think that £30m can be treated as a sunk cost from the moment he signed. Keep with him and we will get our £30m worth I’m sure. 

• Like 3

Showing his ability now with 3 goals and 4 assists in the last 7 games.  There is no way him or Watkins  will be sold now that they are both delivering .  Watkins Ings and Archer next season as strikers. Bailey Buendia and Coutinho as wide / number 10s with Archer able to play right of a front 3 as well. 

I really like him as a footballer , he is far better than i gave him credit for in terms of vision. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I really like him as a footballer , he is far better than i gave him credit for in terms of vision. 

Some of my favourite assists of the season - for Bailey v Everton, Watkins v Norwich, Cash against Leeds - great vision and I would say our best long distance passer, even up against Coutinho and Buendia etc.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we offered Ings a new contract to 2025. His current one ends in 2 years time when he'll be 31 just about to turn 32. 

We paid 25m + 5m in add ons (assume appearances, european qualification, goals). He's on 120k per week 

He costs 8.33m per year in amortisation and 6.2m in wages. So -14.5m per year 

If we offered him a new deal to 2025 (a 1 year extension) on same wages but new bonuses his amortisation drops to 5.55m so he costs us -11.75m per year. 

He's show he is a quality player and a model pro. Especially as we play 2 up front often and will hopefully have European football soon. It makes sense and free's up ffp room 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we offered Ings a new contract to 2025. His current one ends in 2 years time when he'll be 31 just about to turn 32. 

We paid 25m + 5m in add ons (assume appearances, european qualification, goals). He's on 120k per week 

He costs 8.33m per year in amortisation and 6.2m in wages. So -14.5m per year 

If we offered him a new deal to 2025 (a 1 year extension) on same wages but new bonuses his amortisation drops to 5.55m so he costs us -11.75m per year. 

He's show he is a quality player and a model pro. Especially as we play 2 up front often and will hopefully have European football soon. It makes sense and free's up ffp room 

I think the 2 years protects us both. I think and always have that he's so underrated and the best striker at the club but I wouldn't be in a rush to add years onto his deal tbh.

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think the 2 years protects us both. I think and always have that he's so underrated and the best striker at the club but I wouldn't be in a rush to add years onto his deal tbh.

I would if we wanted the FFP room as it would spread his remaining amortisation over 3 years. I think he'll be a great asset to us over the coming years. Now he's found his feet and understanding with Watkins. Starting or off the bench he's an important player 

At least with Watkins, he contributes in other ways to a game. Danny Ings' sole job is to score goals and he's supposed to be a proven finisher.

So to miss both those one on ones and that header so badly is inexcusable. Of course he buries the chance perfectly when offside to rub it in.

Strikers that dont take chances, especially against the best teams, cost you games. Ings and Watkins have done so all season and both need to be replaced.

• Like 1

Any other game I’d want those chances to fall to Ings. He had a mare. Onwards and upwards though, I still have absolute faith in him. Made some great runs and an amazing finish when it didn’t matter!

20 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

At least with Watkins, he contributes in other ways to a game. Danny Ings' sole job is to score goals and he's supposed to be a proven finisher.

So to miss both those one on ones and that header so badly is inexcusable. Of course he buries the chance perfectly when offside to rub it in.

Strikers that dont take chances, especially against the best teams, cost you games. Ings and Watkins have done so all season and both need to be replaced.

I agree he was poor but don’t agree he has done so all season. Last few games he has hit his stride. Any other game he buries those chances. He just had a mare.

Watkins is a different story. He has been wasting possession and chances all season. 

Â