Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

36 minutes ago, useless said:

Deal is close for Ings to leave and fee already agreed according to reliable West Ham 'ITK'.

Looks like that's that.

Can't we keep him for the weekend? He'll be up for Southampton and West Ham will still want him next week.

Good form, 5 points off 7th and a winnable match and we leave ourselves with barely a fit CF in the squad. Classic Villa.

26 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Especially when you’re in the bottom half of the table yourself and you’re selling him to a rival.

Bit dramatic. We've won games under Emery v Man. United and Spurs with Ings coming on when we were already 2 goals up so I don't think we'll suddenly collapse and go on 5 match losing run as soon as he leaves (although probably likely given what we've come up with in last decade).

He did of course score v Everton earlier this season so guess West Ham are desperate to get it done before Friday deadline. I personally would keep him until after the weekend game.

6 minutes ago, YLN said:

Why would we need to buy a replacement for Ings, when we've just signed a perfectly good striker from Chicago Fire...

89ba2340-859f-47cb-859b-1a7aef02c897_tex

Because he's 19 and a rookie in the PL who will need time to settle, and if allowed back to play in the U20s won't be with us til Feb.

People are concerned with the risk of selling Ings. Worries about being left short if Ollie gets injured etc. Well I think those risks are mitigated. Ollie historically hasn’t struggled with injury. Also we’ve already signed a new striker, raw perhaps but few of us have seen him kick a ball. I’m sure Unai and the scouts have. 

The consequences of not cashing in now  aren’t risk free either. At best we sell him in the summer when we will get considerably less £5-10m less. At worse we lose him for nothing so the loss is the full lot. We would also have to pay his wages to the end of his contract, which I believe is half way through so that’s around £9-10m. 

Over all I think the pluses outweigh the minuses and I’d take the cash now. The club isn’t the basket case we’ve been in the past. We can trust them to make a considered decision. Either way it isn’t risk free, nothing much is.  

• Like 1

Could we recall Davis? I know he's not a world-beater but to be fair to him this is the second loan in a row he's done really pretty well, and we're mostly looking for a guy who could be a focal point for the attack if Watkins gets injured, as I assume we would still be playing either Bailey or Buendia close to him. 

Not suggesting it's a great solution but could be of some use?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If you can't let go of a player over 30 who isn't in 1st team plans who can you sell?

If we've won our last game: nobody, we're a sleeping giant back amongst the big time, Europe here we come 

If we lost our last game: Everybody. Lazy bastards who barely even try and aren't fit enough to wear the shirt.

14 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Hope we keep Ings till summer personally. He is a known quantity and can score steady number of goals in this league, which is far from a certainty for any potential replacements (Samatta says hi). But Easy for me to say that when it isn’t my money being spent on his big wages and the loss in transfer fee of we keep hold of him. Ultimately I trust Emery to make the right decision.

I actually thought Samatta looked o.k in his first 5-6 games (and actually more convincing than Wes had). Scored on his debut and in the cup final and had some nice link up play v Spurs at home.

Then came back after lockdown looking like a pub player and that was the end of things very quickly.

We can't understock ourselves upfront anyway. Duran is more of a replacement for Archer really.

You'd hope we push for £20m+.

15m would be a fair price... But there's 3/4 'big' clubs in a relegation battle that could all be desperate for an Ings to secure them safety.

We paid £24m for Darren Bent over a decade ago, that turned out well worth the fee come the summer of that season. We should be looking to do the same now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could we recall Davis? I know he's not a world-beater but to be fair to him this is the second loan in a row he's done really pretty well, and we're mostly looking for a guy who could be a focal point for the attack if Watkins gets injured, as I assume we would still be playing either Bailey or Buendia close to him. 

Been injured already a few times for Watford so would just be the same old story. 20 minute sub cameo and then wouldn't see him for weeks.

Just get an experienced euro striker on six month loan and then look again in the summer.

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

People are concerned with the risk of selling Ings. Worries about being left short if Ollie gets injured etc. Well I think those risks are mitigated. Ollie historically hasn’t struggled with injury. Also we’ve already signed a new striker, raw perhaps but few of us have seen him kick a ball. I’m sure Unai and the scouts have. 

The consequences of not cashing in now  aren’t risk free either. At best we sell him in the summer when we will get considerably less £5-10m less. At worse we lose him for nothing so the loss is the full lot. We would also have to pay his wages to the end of his contract, which I believe is half way through so that’s around £9-10m. 

Over all I think the pluses outweigh the minuses and I’d take the cash now. The club isn’t the basket case we’ve been in the past. We can trust them to make a considered decision. Either way it isn’t risk free, nothing much is.  

He literally got injured in the last match

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could we recall Davis? I know he's not a world-beater but to be fair to him this is the second loan in a row he's done really pretty well

No. He’s not a premier league level striker. He’s an average Championship level striker and so shouldn’t even be back up for us.

Deulofeu is the Ings replacement imo. Has been playing up front for Udinese.

Unais 442 system also started with us playing Bailey "up front" alongside Watkins.

Watkins/Deulofeu/Duran Duran/Bailey will probably be the options.

The odd link to Danjuma too who played up front for Villareal under Unai

Â